Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a rear cup holder for under my ashtray today in the back of my mk4, took the sides off the ashtray, but cant seem to get it off, anyone know of a way to prize all the 4 tabs at once away from the unit so i can remove it to secure my holder in?
Any help appreciated,
Jord.

·
Pro tinkerer
5,647 Posts
I don't think you need to take the ashtray out mate. Don't you just push the cup holder into the hole once you remove the blank, and the two metal tab things on top clip into place?

Someone should be along to correct me if I'm wrong shortly.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ahh never thought of that, sliding it in the slot with theclips at an angle so they hook in do you mean?
coz i put it in this afternoon and cartridge keeps sliding it out, so was going to take the ashtray off and clip it in... thanks mate

·
Pro tinkerer
5,647 Posts
Are they just metal and not spring loaded I can't remember? If so you may be able to get at them if you pop the small coin tray/recess out that is behind the handbreak and open the cup holder. Failing that mate you wil have to take the cup holder off, but i don't know how you do it sorry.

If you don't get an answer and it's doing your head in, then just take the rear section of the centre console out it's easy.

All you have to do is remove the two screws (torx bit head either T20 or T25 can't remember sorry) that connect the front piece to the rear piece, and two screws that are located through the holes in the ashtray when you remove the insert/tray bit (they have been philips head on my Golf and Bora, but if you shine a torch down there you can double check first). Then you can pop the petrol cap button out with your finger through the gap where the handbreak leaver goes to disconnect it. Once everything is disconnected it's just a case of sliding it off over the handbreak.

Hope that makes sense and you get sorted mate.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ahh great, thanks for that! will give it a go tomoro when i clean the car out :)
Will keep you informed, thanks again! :D

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had another go today, pulled up the tabs on the cup holder cartridge and slid it in, it clicked into place and is now as solid as a rock! Thanks for the help bigjim-85 [:)]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts