Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im lookin into changing my rear beam bushes on my bora  because mine are clonking badly, just wondering has anyone changed a pair them selfs? i have heard its quite hard to get them in and out, any tips on getting them back in? also is it worth putting poly bushes in or are they just going to be even harder to get in? thanks hef.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
iv been thinking about doin this too as im low on funds due to goin on holiday but i know ill regret it as its a BIG job and ill get stressed lol. but its only £30 for the bushes and £170 for labour ......

·
Registered
143 Posts
Right guys, just did mine yesterday and it took me 4 hours in total. I dropped the whole axle to work on it as its far easier. Its really not that difficult but do set aside plenty of time to do it. I fit vw bushes and the difference is amazing compared to the old knackered ones. if you're gonna do it yourself then invest in a good 8 inch g-clamp which makes it so easy to remove the old bushes and fit the new ones. Also, plenty of copper greasemakes it easier to slide into the mount. If you need any advice let me know guys.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I did mine a while ago now and replaced them with powerflex ones

Tokk about an hour in total to do and by dropping one side at a time.

THe hardest part was getting the original ones out I used an air chizel

Here's mine during and after

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Or you could get one of these to aid in the removal of the old ones

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
did the tool work well? i could be tempted to purchace one of them cause i know a few people who need to change them at the mo, so does the tool take them out and put them in? thanks hef.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
As i said I didnt use the tool to remove them I used an air chizel which too can be sourced from ebay not sur if it will help in the re-install of the new OEM bushes. The powerflex ones can be pshed in using flat washers and a large G clamp

And this Air Hammer should do the trick to remove them if you are lucky enough to have access to a compressor.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
ok me and my step dad aregona try this as soon as i get the bushes ill let you know how we get on and take some pics...

where can i get the bushes from cheap?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
So you removed the actual brackets from the car too.

Explains why my beam was so hard to re-fit as I left them in situ!

·
Registered
873 Posts
Iv had powerflex bushes sitting indoors for ages. My car is really bad now and i need to get them done but dont have funds to get it to VW. Can somebody please please please do a guide on this.

I'm pretty good with cars but don't know how to drop the rear beam and I'm not even sure where the bushes are yet! lol. Need to get under there and have a look.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
mate have a look under the car its really not as hard as you think. yu will see wat to do as soon as you look under it. you can see them without gettin the car jacked up.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
yeh i got some pics ill put them up tonight ok mate... i could see they were worn as there is a noticable gap around the bush and i can move it by hand and then you can even feel the metal inside the bush grinding......the differance is amazing...pics will be up about 10 tonight

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well we finally did my bushes, it is so much better now with the powerflex ones, we done mine sunday afternoon took around 4 hours, the bush just come out it was that worn but the casing was solid!! around 5 mins with the gas soon sorted that!! we used a transit hub nut socket and threaded rod a few decent washers to get the new ones in. we then did my mates car in around 3 hours but lowered the car at the same time. so all is good. hef.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts