Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, been offered some time and help by the same mate who helped me do my brakes back in june, to do this over xmas, so what bits do I need to fully replace my rear beam bushes amd do I need to renew any bolts ?  Any other tips.  He has a press in his workshop so that'll be fine.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
you wont need to renew anybots the hard bits are removing the old bush i used a hydrolic hammer chissle and the even harder/time taking part is evenly pressing the new bush in. i really struggled with this as i didnt have a press and my step dad came up with some crazy home made devise lol...

good luck mate hope it isnt gona be to much of a pain in the ass for you....

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you wont need to renew anybots the hard bits are removing the old bush i used a hydrolic hammer chissle and the even harder/time taking part is evenly pressing the new bush in. i really struggled with this as i didnt have a press and my step dad came up with some crazy home made devise lol...

I see, well I am doing it at a proper workshop, on a ramp, with a fully kitted workshop out back with a press too, so hopefully it should make things a lot easier ! [H]

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
If you are going to take the beam off to change the bushes you will need brake fluid and a pressure bleed kit. I managed to do mine in situ with out taking the beam off so didn't need to clamp / bleed the brakes.

We used an improvised tool that Graeme made up to pull the PowerFlex bushes in.

Paul

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you are going to take the beam off to change the bushes you will need brake fluid and a pressure bleed kit. I managed to do mine in situ with out taking the beam off so didn't need to clamp / bleed the brakes.

Good point Paul. If i'm gonna bleed the brakes I may as well do the lot and change the whole fluid, it's been in there since june 05 anyway, so will need doing come the summer.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Have you got a description of what it looked like / how it worked ?
A couple of plates and a long bolt that was of small enough to go through the bush, that basically wound the bush in gradually. We may have had some kind of spacer in there too - can't remember now as it was a while ago.

Paul

·
Registered
414 Posts
Yo Tylerama,

Mine need doing too and i heard this job is easy peasy (lol) so i'll just drop my car off to you and you can ring me when it's done eh? [;)]

...worth a try [:(]

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yo Tylerama,

Mine need doing too and i heard this job is easy peasy (lol) so i'll just drop my car off to you and you can ring me when it's done eh? [;)]

...worth a try [:(]
Lol gettin a hand off a mate at his garage in folkestone i'm afraid. But Kent VW in margate quoted me ?200, which is not bad to do this. Ring and speak to John, they are the best independent garage I know, so bloody fair and not out to rip you off !

Kent VW

Upper Grove,
Margate,
Kent.

01843 226777

Top service from those guys in the past,. they'll be gettin my business in the future let me tell ya !

·
Registered
414 Posts
Cheers mate. Never really considered Kent VW, always use Victoria VW in Broadstairs cos they're family friends. I think i'll have to play the two off against eachother. Whilst?you're?right?in?saying ?200 is a decent price,?I'm?loathe?to?shell?out?the?money?since?i?heard?Pat?paid??70!

·
Registered
2,016 Posts

I see, well I am doing it at a proper workshop, on a ramp, with a fully kitted workshop out back with a press too, so hopefully it should make things a lot easier ! [H]
should be piss easy then mate..let us know how you get on dude..

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I hear Victoria VW are good too, never used em yet tho.  Try both n see what the best quote is.  If I was a much more experienced mechanic then i'd offer to help, but i'm not and we'd possbily get in a mess doing a fiddly, sometimes difficult job.

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cheers mate. Never really considered Kent VW, always use Victoria VW in Broadstairs cos they're family friends. I think i'll have to play the two off against eachother. Whilst you're right in saying ?200 is a decent price, I'm loathe to shell out the money since i heard Pat paid ?70!
I hear Victoria VW are good too, never used em yet tho. Try both n see what the best quote is. If I was a much more experienced mechanic then i'd offer to help, but i'm not and we'd possbily get in a mess doing a fiddly, sometimes difficult job.

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Will do. Bought the new bushes on friday, ?36 all in, or was it ?37.. somewhere bout that anyway.

I plan to try and do a how to if poss.. or at least take some good pictures.

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Will do. Bought the new bushes on friday, ?36 all in, or was it ?37.. somewhere bout that anyway.

I plan to try and do a how to if poss.. or at least take some good pictures.
Big day tomorrow ! Rear beam bushes, S3 lower strut brace, Reiger illuminated gearknob and rear discs and pads ! - Lets hope I get it all done [:D] [H]

oh and a good under body / chassis inspection [:)] Whoops.. forgot.. armrest too !

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Pictures of the rear beam bush change please Sir.

I've decided I need to do mine now.

Particularly intersted in piccies of the tool !!

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Pictures of the rear beam bush change please Sir.

I've decided I need to do mine now.

Particularly intersted in piccies of the tool !!
Pictures to follow.. I've asked Dan (the bloke who's garage I used and who did a lot of the work for me) to keep it or take pics of it. Once I pick it up, i'll take some pics of it. It's basically a load of bearing shells welded together with a threaded rod through the center and a big nut on each end, to gradually tighten and push against the bush. Crude, but it works. The hardest bit we found we getting the first half inch or so in (oooer missus !) once thats in, it's just making sure it goes in square.

Well, this all went off okay in the end, but we started at about 11am on friday and didn't finish til bout twenty to six. The first bush took us about three hours or so, the second took an hour - the benefit of experience ! However, most of the time doing the first bush, was making the tool to pull the bush into place.

I dunno how some of you guys have done it on axle stands on the driveway - that really is a first class effort as it was an awkward, time consuming job, even on a proper vehicle lift with a heated, fully kitted workshop ! Well, that was my opinion of it ! After the bushes had been done it was time to do the rear discs and pads and given that both rear calipers were very much seized, it took us about another two hours to do those !

Luckily, the garage next door had a wind back tool kit (dan's garage is a transmission workshop so specifically geared up for 'boxes), the useless "wind back cube" I bought from tooledup.com will be sold soon I expect, once we got the wind back kit on it it went back okay, but it was almost seized solid.

Went to fix the lower strut brace in position and the collars that fit in the holes in the wishbones, were just wobbling about so no chance of tightening them :-( anybody else had this problem ?

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
If I remember correctly when I did mine I had to bolt the brace up to the capture nuts, insert them into the subframe and then tighten them up to crush the inserts in place. Basically the strut being up against the capture nut stopped it spinning round.

Hope that helps.

Paul ("real man" changed the bushes on axle stands - OK so I did use air tools though)

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
..... Kent VW in margate quoted me ?200, which is not bad to do this.
That's a good price - my local garage did front wishbones and back bushes all in for ?350. He said fronts were ?75 a side so it works out the same. Bit of difference to the ?700 that the local stealer wanted[:|]

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
..... Kent VW in margate quoted me ?200, which is not bad to do this.
That's a good price - my local garage did front wishbones and back bushes all in for ?350. He said fronts were ?75 a side so it works out the same. Bit of difference to the ?700 that the local stealer wanted[:|]
Yikes.. ?700 ! What rip off merchants [:mad:]

1 - 20 of 26 Posts