Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone please tell me if its possible just to replace the bushes and not the complete axle as a lot of garages say.I know there are lots of threads on the subject but could someone clear this up once and for all.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Had just the bushes replaced on mine a few weeks back. The bushes cost ?35 from the stealer and had them fitted for ?50 cash. Was going to do them myself but for that price it really wasn't worth it!

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
VW has an official hydraulic ram tool for replacing the bushes, most decent VW workshops should have it. Replacing the entire axle is madness, you're looking at a shedload of extra labour when all that needs replacing really is the bushes.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
they originally wanted to replace beams because they couldnt press in new hydraulic bushes. But then realised they could just use the solid rubber type instead.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Going to give it a go on friday,seems like the best way is to remove the axle and then give it a good thrashing with a big hammer !
If it goes ok i'll give the stealer a ring and tell them that they were talking bo**ox.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
mine need doing on the TDI.

Spoke to a few place including the dealer and you don't need to replace the axle at. My local dealer has 20 rear axle bushes in stock. Price for a pair was ?36. They're the rubber ones that were fitted standard on the lower spec Golf's

I'm going to get mine done very soon from a local garage. I can't decide if I should fit OEM ones or the Powerflex ones.

Here's a guide

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeropost?cmd=tshow&id=1980960

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Going to give it a go on friday,seems like the best way is to remove the axle and then give it a good thrashing with a big hammer !
LOL! You're gonna have a veeery long day if you try that! [;)]

The rubber will just absorb the blows and the bush won't go anywhere. It has to be pressed out.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
The rubber will just absorb the blows and the bush won't go anywhere. It has to be pressed out.
Haven't tackled the ones on my Golf but that's been my experience with suspension bushes on other cars too.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What you do is first remove rubber part of bush ,if i dosen't fall out burn it out,then hacksaw through outer to collapse it in and then chissel out with big hammer---easy.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just finished the job,3 hours to complete-total cost ?29 for the bushes- no problems at all.
Removed the axle from the car and i think this is the easiest way,it would be very hard to do in situ.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just finished the job,3 hours to complete-total cost ?29 for the bushes- no problems at all.
Removed the axle from the car and i think this is the easiest way,it would be very hard to do in situ.
What did you use to get the new ones in?
When I do mine will no doubt be asking a load of questions.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
used bushes from gsf and i think that they are same make as genuine -they had the vag partno on them.
I made a puller up to get the bushes back in and to be honest they went in quite easily,just used plenty of washing up liquid for lubrication.I will post a pic of the bushes going back in.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts