Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

Rear auto dimming mirror?

3K views 19 replies 17 participants last post by  ReflexGolfologist 
#1 ·
Does anybody know the cost of one for a MK4 Golf?

#8 ·
Have to say, I do like the feature, but sometimes it can be too effective... which is annoying. Like when you are trying to get the reg number of the fool who is tailgating, and it dims so you can only see his lights!!!

I think wiring wise, it must only be a power input, probably drawn from the interior light wiring loom.. am sure that the wizedry is held entirely within the mirror itself, as that is where the sensor is... if you cover up the little whole, you can see the reg numbers again!!!![:D]

#10 ·
I was looking in a new Passat the other day and the auto dimming mirror has an on/off switch on the bottom of the mirror. Does anyone know if this mirror would fit a Golf which has the autodimmer already, so you could turn it on or off. (I assume the wiring would be the same internally, you would just have the option of switching off the supply voltage). Foxy????

#12 ·
Quote: posted by Carlos on 10/12/2004 12:09:19

I got one from a scrappers for ?20 quid and fitted it in about 20mins.

[:D]

How do you install this? and how do you remove the existing mirror?

Is it only the mirror that needs changing or do you need to replace the whole item

#16 ·
Check out foxy's website for tips on fitting the mirror. I got one for 25 quid on ebay. Just painted it beige to match my interior. It has 6 wires to connect. As soon as i've sussed which is which, it will be fitted in my car.

Can any one tell what each wire is used for?

#20 ·
Yes they will fit on the normal brackets - on the screen

To remove the existing bracket - i found it easier to remove the mirror from the bracket - ball joing - just pull down....Then turn the bracket 90 degrees (either way) and its off!

I guess the switching thing would work - as its in effect a switch - they could be installed to the std one if you could be bothered to wire the power down the pillar to a switch and back again.....

The 6 wires in total include the rain sensor - I think youve double posted - and ive replied to your other post[^]

Telling you which wires you need - Foxy posted me the VW wiring spec on the mirror section.

One wire requires the reverse light switch - to clear the tint - if someone knows where this is - at the front of the car - pls advise - cheers

Hope this helps[:)]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.