Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK my fronts were close to the wear indicators anyway but since fitting this rear ARB the outer edges of the tyres are almost bald?! Anyone else had the same? I'm just recovering from shedloads of expensive work on the car, now looking at another ?450-500 for new rubber.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I didn't have that problem when mine was fitted.........[;)]

Could it be down to you enjoying the improved ride/ cornering ability and the fact you've had your R day...............[:D][;)]

Rob

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Same here Shui, I've had my rear ARB on for over a year with no excessive tyre wear.

Have you had your tracking done recently ?

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had a full 4-wheel jobbie at John Ashley last year and it still pulls nice and straight which it didn't quite do before. I'll keep an eye on it when I get my new tyres.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Forget std alignment settings and get the front on max neg camber using the bottom ball joint. I did this myself a few thousand miles ago and the tyres are still wearing evenly.

They had been wearing the inner edge but I dicovered it was down to the car being slightly toe out so as well as putting max neg camber I gave it a little toe in too.

Unconfirmed rumour has it that toe creates uneven wear more than camber unless the camber is particularly severe!

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
If it's just the outside inch or so that's going bald, and there's no feathering\tearing or other obvious mis-alignment wear, sounds to me like you've been hoofing it round corners.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
shiuming go to RSR in sutton the guy there knows how to allign lowered cars as your allignment will be out as they will most likely just put it back to standard factory settings.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cheers guys. For what it's worth, the report from the Beissbarth did note "sports suspension" whatever that means - it certainly drove much better afterwards. I'll look into RSR when I recover from this month's over-spend [:|]

Mine isn't decked though, I'm guessing the front is probably within factory spec, although the rear is certainly lower than any factory spec, despite being set to maximum height.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Rodney is the fella apparently not sure on prices just give them a shout lazy bird you
I've just booked to go to AutoPS in Northants next month before my Oulton Park track day, would you say I would be better paying a visit to RSR Henry ?

I'm also booked in on Monday afternoon to get new top mounts fitted, should I get an alignment check done after this, or would I be ok waiting a month before going to AutoPS ?

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Upto you Russ either will do a good job, Dan / Dannyboy has been going to RSR for years and has always been impressed, Rodney knows his stuff and I am sure you will be happy.

Ed and Co also know there stuff so it is purely personal preference. I would not want to wait to long after adjusting my suspension to get the allignment checked as I would normally pre-book so that it would be done within a couple of days of tweaking so as to minimise uneven wear etc.

Upto you though fella.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts