Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mate has a 2000 2.0 8V gti golf, it has 40K and has just had a major service from VW. Including MAF etc. The car is currently doing 151 miles for ?40 of fuel.. thats about 15 MPG, I just chage the engine temp sensor today incase it was giving the car way too much fuel, but this hasn't helped. Anyone had similars problems or knows the solution?

Cheers

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Power output effected?

I think something from the service is to blame, perhaps the wrong MAF- this would effect performance though.

Any other issues like poor idleing to suggest the wrong plugs or HT leads?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seems to go ok, it would be lumpy on idle and get the odd misfire.  Is there anyway to check the part nos etc that they have used..

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Take the car back and get the to check their work. I note you are new to the forum, and without wanting to sound patronising, they do make mistakes all the time.

?400+ makes me suggest they check thier work...

·
Registered
487 Posts
Mine's been similar over the last couple of weeks. Cost me about ?30 for about 200 miles which is below my normal average.

On the clock that was about 29mpg but my average is normally about 34-38. But I am seriously due for a service.

·
Registered
8 Posts
im only getting around 200-220 from a full tank in the same model....

only had the car a few weeks and im thinking of selling for this reason......not impressed at all...everything else is fine just the poop fuel consumption is doin my head in.....although the car is due for a service in about 1000 miles

what should we be getting to a full tank? mileage wise?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Is the Lambda sensor okay?  This is normally the root of the problems, lumpy idle, poor MPG. ETC but then again it's just been serviced & this should have been picked up.  Definitely take it back to them & demand a full health check.  If there is a problem, you have to ask as to why it was not highlighted in the major service thereby transferring blame of poor workmanship.  It may not work but it's worth a try.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I couldn't afford to run my with a wedding on the way, that's why I've gone diesel. I was getting around 265 to a tank, but most of my driving is slow commuting in heavy traffic. I was also getting 265 to a litre of oil!, but this engine is known for that.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Yes - I'm with you on the oil topic! You'd be stuffed if you had
a track day - probably have to stop half way through to top up the oil!!

·
Registered
811 Posts
its the lambda sensor, my 2.0 has been like that for ages, finainally manged to buy a sensor and before i fitted it, the damn car has fixed its self lol,

·
Registered
487 Posts
its the lambda sensor, my 2.0 has been like that
for ages, finainally manged to buy a sensor and before i fitted it, the
damn car has fixed its self lol,
Yes, sometimes they just need cleaning. Or a good blast can sort it
out. I went down the motorway and now is back to normal.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The car was left into VW this am and the vag-com showed lambda sensor as suggested above, there charging ?183 all in.....so all in the last service has cost my mate about ?750..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

I've had similar problems with my 2.0 8v GTI. Initially there was a flat spot during accelerating..almost like fuel starvation at about 4000 revs. I got a replacement MAF sensor from Ebay. Hurrah! The performance was now great.( Well as great as a 2.0 GTI can be!) The only thing was, smoke out of the exhaust when flooring it in 2nd gear. Fuel consumption was terrible, about 20 to 22 mpg. I tried replacing the coolant Temp. sensor but still the MPG was bad. I Took the car for an MOT and it failed on emmisions! The fault readout showed Bank1 S1 lambda probe "no activity". So, that was replaced. STILL failed the emmisions test. The garage then suggested replacing the MAF again, and so they did for a unit bought from VW. The car passed all further tests and runs fine. AND the MPG has returned to a much more reasonable 28 to 30 mpg.

Aj

·
Registered
178 Posts
Blimey i hadnt realise MPG was so poor on the 2.0l GTi's. I was dubious about buying my V5 cos of the expected need to tow a petrol station behind the car but ive been getting 320 out of a tank with mixed motorway and round town driving.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts