Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi

mk4 golf 1.6 sr 8v

wife came home complaining of a rubbing noise coming from front of car so i took it for a drive. theres a really loud rubbing noise in all gears and the car is jerking when driving the noise goes if i hold the clutch down and let the car coast but comes back as soon as clutch is released. any ideas

thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no its not squealing and theres no oil leaking, theres no release bearing on this car iv never seen a clutch that looks like what i have (new clutch fitted few months back)

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
the release bearing is on the side of the gearbox iinside the green cover plate. the fork comes out and under that is the bearing. Cheap enough to replace only costs around a fiver and even if you get a mechaninc to change it shouldnt take more than 20-30mins

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok the gearbox is dead the diff rivets have gone and the diff housing is cracked, been told its beyond repair and cant find a 2nd hand one anywhere.

so question.....

i got a mk3 box, is it possible to fit it and change the peddle box and convert car to cable clucth instead of hydraulic. bell housing looks the same.

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
if the casing is just cracked, they can be welded, its only if chunks come out.

mk3 box would be way more hassle to fit

the 16v 1.6 box fits, or at least some do

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok last attempt at getting this back on the road, this car had a DUU box in it. what other boxs will fit. iv been told that DUW, ERT,DLP,DUS boxs will fit. does it matter if the box comes from an 8v or 16v, dont want to spend a few hundred quid on a wrong box.

thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i got the exact same car with the exact same problem, i can get a gearbox off a mk4 golf 1.6. dont no the code (should the code be on the box somewhere), mines a 1.6sr, will the box fit off just a 1.6???

please help any1 if you can,

cheers

·
Registered
6,599 Posts
ive got a full engine and gearbox for sale from my 1.6 16v [Y]

Let me know if your interested engine code bcb and gearbox code ert[Y]

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
problem solved,, i got a 2nd hand DUW box that has been reconed from a 1.4 goes in no trouble and a bargin at £100.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts