Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chaps - long time member (ish), long time lurker!

I am currently doing 3,500-5,000 miles a month (commuting from tenby, in Pembrokeshire, to London weekly with london driving Mon-Fri).

In terms of real-world mpg am I right in thinking that these are roughly correct?

Motorway mpg (at 80-90mph allegedly officer):

1.8T (ko3s) - 35-40mpg

GT TDi (130, 150) - 45 -55mpg

v6 4motion - 30-35mpg

I drive a 1990 325i at the moment and am getting 31.4mpg overall (not half bad for a 2.5 litre engine that's done over 220,000 miles).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really? That's a pity - a friend of mine has a gti (03 plate) with only 25,000miles on the clock that I'm thinking about buying. Reason being it's barely run in and I could put 50,000 miles on it and not lose too much when I come to sell it. It'll still have low miles for the year.

I really want a v6 4motion but I think (having driven one to cornwall and back) that I might struggle to do better than the car I've got at the moment. But that drive has stuck with me (drove it in 02).

sensible head says gt tdi but I'm not sure whether they are fun or not.

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
there wont be much in it due to the cost of diesel to petrol,

it think they will even out as the tdi wont be much cop round town getting about 35mpg same as the 1.8t

·
Registered
36 Posts
well i have a mk 5 tdi, before my remap which allegidly improves mpg...i got 55 in friday night traffic going to conventry from essex. At 80 to 90mph 45-48mpg is more like it, but thats with it remapped to 158 bhp. what i can say is im glad i got a diesel :)!

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
that the 2.0 or the 1.9

in the passat that used to get hardly any motorway driving it would do about 38mpg, that was a 1.9tdi

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the responses chaps. So - 55mpg - how many miles per tank does that get you (how big's a tank - can't remember even though I used to have an AGU 1.8T!)

·
Registered
28 Posts
From experience I'd recommend a PD130 with a quality remap. I drove to Southampton and back, from a brimmed tank and used 5/8ths on the gauge. 230 miles each way. MPGs were reading 71.5 on the way down sat at 65 then on the way back 80-90. Overall did 66MPG if i remember right [:D

Usual motorway driving at 80ish i average 55-60 on a steady run.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Of the three vw TDI's i've had the most economical (and not due to the way it was driven in comparison to the others) was the 115bhp pd sport passat. Where i could get just shy of 700 miles to a tank (62ltr IIRC) in that, neither ARL's in the golfs have given me 550+ yet - far from saying its possible, its just a comparison.

And to be fair, for the large part of the time i've had the Golfs it been bad/cold weather...

Tom

EDIT:

4 up, and a round trip of 350 miles (there for 2 hrs, so engined cooled) at a constant 70+++ i got an average of 52mpg in the PD Anni.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts