Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a quick guide or a link to re-installing windows?

Already taken everything i want off the computer and want fresh start.

I have a dodgy copy installed on my desktop and want to format everything and reinstall a genuine copy which I have! My computer is running so slowly as I cant get any updates etc!

I cant just put in the windows disk as it says cannot install an older version (I have xp media on at the mo and want to install a standard xp)

Cheers

Tim

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Tim,

I take it when you say put the CD in, your current version of XP is running - if so ignore it and leave the CD in. You need to restart the computer, and boot off the CD (you may need to change the cd-drive to try and boot your system before your hard drive in the BIOS - if you need more instructions shout!).

Once the CD boots up, nice blue screen with white text.
Press Enter to install Windows when it asks.
It'll try and detect existing copies of windows.
When it has, it'll show you your existing one and ask you if you want to repair it. Press ESCape to skip that.
Then it should ask you what disk/partition (where on your hard drive basically) to. Use up/down to s elect the existing one that your Windows XP is installed onto.
Next screen asks "do you want to format the partition using FAT32, NTFS, quickly, or don't format it at all?" - s elect Format with NTFS (NOT the quick option!)

That will format your XP partition off the disk, nice and empty and reload XP on it for you. You should be able to easily follow the rest of the prompts and screens - they're very straightforward [:)]

Any questions, shout... If I'm not about I'm sure Graham (EJO) will direct [;)]

C

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Good stuff Chris. The only other thing I would mention is when it comes to currencies and location setup etc. Make sure you change the keyboard to UK and not US. Saves a 'why is my @ key above the 2' post [;)]

When it's all loaded, if your not on Service Pack 2, you want to go into Control Panel > Admin tools > Services and disable messenger.

Thats 2 of the more common questions that crop up after a new XP install sorted out!

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Superb, you guys are legends with your quick responses! How do I get the computer to boot from the cd drive in the Bios setup, always been a bit scared playing about with these settings?

Cheers lads

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Press F2 or delete, depending on your setup. Go into BIOS, go to advanced, go into boot configuration (or something similar) and move the CD drive to the top of the list. Normally by pressing enter on boot device 1 (could be + and - or pg up / pg down also) and s electing the boot device. Make sure that HDD is then second.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Press F2 or delete, depending on your setup. Go into BIOS, go to advanced, go into boot configuration (or something similar) and move the CD drive to the top of the list. Normally by pressing enter on boot device 1 (could be + and - or pg up / pg down also) and s electing the boot device. Make sure that HDD is then second.
Thanks EJO

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Press F2 or delete, depending on your setup. Go into BIOS, go to advanced, go into boot configuration (or something similar) and move the CD drive to the top of the list. Normally by pressing enter on boot device 1 (could be + and - or pg up / pg down also) and s electing the boot device. Make sure that HDD is then second.
Thanks EJO

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks EJO

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
lol

yeah its relatively painless, take it from a few people that have installed XP literally hundreds of times (i know i have and EJO prob has too)

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
I remember installing the DOS operating system before installed Win 3.1!

Also used to install Windows 95 (after DOS again!) from about 32 discs before CD Drives were the norm. CD Drives were a luxury! Back then, if you had a CD Drive you had the all magical 'multimedia' computer!

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Pffft, lightweight... Get that linux console going, and fire up Midnight Commander if you're feelign a bit overwhelmed [:p] [;)]

Tim, let us know how that install goes fella - get it up and running, and then make suer you run windows update [y]

C

·
Registered
194 Posts
Good chance you still won't be able to get any updates if its a suspect copy of XP. MS built-in security months ago to prevent this, something along the lines of 'Genuine Advantage Tool'

Best of luck anyways.

·
Registered
196 Posts
^ He's running a genuine version now which means he wil be able to get the updates.

Installing XP is easy...MS desgined it so there's minimal user interaction...

Did you get Pro or Home version?

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
its even easier if you slipstream SP1 and SP2 and any drivers into the installation and add an 'answer file' for all the questions its asks

no interaction at all then

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Good chance you still won't be able to get any updates if its a suspect copy of XP. MS built-in security months ago to prevent this, something along the lines of 'Genuine Advantage Tool'

Best of luck anyways.
Not strictly true. Because of the extent of piracy (we are NOT starting this debate, in thsi thread!), MS will security patch machiens from SP2 (and I think SP1 still as well). Mainly because they don't want all the bad press if their software is causing massive strains on t'internet etc (think Code Red, Blaster, etc) - even if people have pirated it. It's still their crap coding and they know it.

You just can't get things like Media Player upgrades, extras, and extra functionality, because of said mentioned Validation and Advantage tools, which crop up every couple of months (presumably with the new keys and hack-checks).

As he's loading up a genuine copy, it's not a problem - and tbh if you get a copy of XP Pro (corporate) you're laughign anyway [:)]

C

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok managed to re install everything ok.

For some reason though I cant change the screen resolution from 640x480 on 16 bit to anything better, which means everythings huge?

Why wont it let me change like normal?

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
When it's all loaded, if your not on Service Pack 2, you want to go into Control Panel > Admin tools > Services and disable messenger.
Can u please explain this too, I cant find where you mean to disable it for some reason...could be me being well stupid?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts