Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have ordered but not yet received my Golf, but had a question to do with the RCD 510.

I am just about to order a new iphone 4 as from what I have seen and heard, it works pretty well with the head unit, as well as being a nice phone of course. I am a spotify user and would plan to use spotify on the iphone 4 as a replacement for the default music player. Having searched the web for articles and videos, I believe that I can stream music from the phone to the RCD 510. From what I have read, there does however seem to be issues in playing music via the mdi connector as this only seems to work with the default music player. Recent iphone updates to IOS 4.2 however seems to have changed the way in which the music players operate and I wonder whether anyone uses another music player like spotify or pandora or something else and can play music via the mdi cable. If so, do the controls from the steering wheel / head unit work or would everything need to be controlled from the phone.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
If you have got bluetooth on the car you probably can stream it but sound quality is not as good as through mdi so not sure why you would want to do it,tunes are in phone anyway so just plug it in to mdi.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. I thought the mdi would be better quality hence I am trying to understand whether or not I can play spotify through the mdi cable into the head unit, as I got the impression that you could only use the default itunes player through the mdi cable. If anyone has managed to play music through the mdi using another music program, that would answer the question for me. Also I would be interested if they can / cant control the third party music app using the steering wheel / head unit controls.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I understand now i didn't know what Spotify was i assumed it was just like Itunes,so you don't actually have the tunes? i think the chances of being able to get that through mdi are slim.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Spotify is a cross platform application that allows you access to pretty much any song thats available. If you pay for a subscription you can use it on your mobile and can store songs offline for when you dont have access to wifi, or you can stream straight over wifi. I was under the impression that IOS4.2 on the iphone may now allow better integration for third party music players. I guess I will have to test it out and see.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Spotify does work, it jumps in on the AUX output stream via USB which the iPod app uses.

There's no integration to control the player yet though so you need to use your phone to navigate to music.

Works okay for me though!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bibster,

Thanks for the update and its reassuring to know that the MDI works.

Have you tried streaming music over bluetooth to the RCD-510 and if so, whats the quality like?

Also I understand that since IOS4.1, you can now control spotify using the forward and back commands on the steering wheel, is that true?

Cheers again

James

1 - 7 of 7 Posts