Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
basically im on a very tight budget and probly going to get abused for this haha but has anyone ever rattlecanned the whole car i want to do it matt black as my paint work is in an awful state i want it like the zombie outlaw mk4 in pvw magazine ?

·
Registered
135 Posts
If you do it properly i am sure it will look better than tatty bodywork, i have always thought matt black looks good, or you could go rat look lol

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
There is a guy on hear who has a matt black mk4, certainly can be done. I would say that I think that Satin black looks much better than Matt black, I cant find the picture but there is a satin wide arched R32 from the US that looks spot on

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
defo satin, it can be done but you need good conditions to get a good finish so garage lockup etc

i did my sides on my bonnet satin but i did it in poor conditions windy and in the street lol, looked ok but was a pain. i know its a pain to clean and if i remember the wax/protection is a stupid price.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ended up respraying it in my work. and lacquering it

Posted Image

Posted Image

Dont go for the rat look with a mk4 ether just dosnt look good, but professionally done matt/satin paint job looked after looks spot on IMP

·
Registered
122 Posts
It will look absolutely disgusting and chavvy.

The amount of 500ml rattle cans you would need probably wont be far off compared to getting it vynal wrapped.

My lupo wing mirror covers took 1,000ml (2 halfords big cans) paint + Lacquer.

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
It will look absolutely disgusting and chavvy.

The amount of 500ml rattle cans you would need probably wont be far off compared to getting it vynal wrapped.

My lupo wing mirror covers took 1,000ml (2 halfords big cans) paint + Lacquer.
with the cans you can do this [:S]

Vinyl wrapped would still cost a a fair penny mate.

Save get a proper job done then you can decided if you go matt or not. just dont clean the car till then so know one notices

·
Registered
692 Posts
me and a mate did his Mk1 fiesta years ago with rattle cans. Used 12 of the largest ones you can buy. Looked good as well....

From about 400 yards.....

in the dark.......

wearing sunglasses

·
Super Moderator
50,214 Posts
Yes it can be done and the results will be good as long as the prep work is perfect,but with the cost of enough rattle cans to do the whole car it could work out cheaper to buy a smal compressor and spray gun.

Also saves on finger ache from holding the button down on the can for a long time.

Chris.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts