Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
50,244 Posts
Any piks?
Just a guess here........but in the absence of any photos I'd guess they'll be round black rubberey things with squiggley lines cut into them[lol-lol].

Chris.

P.S. The price of snow tyres has rocketed in the last week.One of our suppliers quoted £90 this time last week,the same tyres today are now £140[:O].

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Don't understand the fascination with snow tyres. In this country (possibly excluding the highlands of Scotland) they are surely an unnecessary expense that you only use for a few times in the year. They are not magic tyres that give huge amounts of grip or stop your wheels from spinning!

All they have is a different compound which is more resilient to freezing temperatures and deeper tread. Having slimmer wheels and tyres with plenty of life left in them is just as good!

What people need is an education of how to drive in snow[Y]

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Don't understand the fascination with snow tyres. In this country (possibly excluding the highlands of Scotland) they are surely an unnecessary expense that you only use for a few times in the year. They are not magic tyres that give huge amounts of grip or stop your wheels from spinning!

All they have is a different compound which is more resilient to freezing temperatures and deeper tread. Having slimmer wheels and tyres with plenty of life left in them is just as good!

What people need is an education of how to drive in snow
And that is where the problem is !!!

Winter tires are designed not just for snow use but are much more equiped at putting grip dpwn under temps of +4 deg

The close nit weave of tread is not really designed to cut through the snow but allows the tread to grip better ON the snow.

If they were such a unnecessary thing why do country's like Germany insist that after a certain time of year you MUST have these fitted of in the case of an accident the insurance will only pay out 25% of the damage to your own car.

I know what i would prefer to be honest

·
Super Moderator
50,244 Posts

My point exactly[clap].They really are grossly over rated (and over priced) as drivers seem to think they will have some sort of limpet like grip on the road just because they've fitted a set of tyres with "snow" in the name[:(].

I've put my original OEM wheels back on with normal all seasons 195/65/15s and I haven't got stuck at all this year and have only had one mild unintentional slide as I turned out of a corner and hit sheet ice.

Chris.

·
Registered
13,211 Posts

Winter tires are designed not just for snow use but are much more equiped at putting grip dpwn under temps of +4 deg

The close nit weave of tread is not really designed to cut through the snow but allows the tread to grip better ON the snow.

If they were such a unnecessary thing why do country's like Germany insist that after a certain time of year you MUST have these fitted of in the case of an accident the insurance will only pay out 25% of the damage to your own car.

·
Registered
13,211 Posts

Winter tires are designed not just for snow use but are much more equipped at putting grip down under temps of +4 deg

·
Registered
561 Posts
Mate, that was a sound purchase you will easily double your money on them so many people want them round my way.

I live in Kent and when it snows here it really comes in and I have to get to work whatever, I stuck a set of Pirelli winters on at a cost of ?130 a corner and of course I needed all 4 !

Before I stuck them on I was getting slight traction issues on some hills which 2wd were not getting anywhere near but since changing them they are like night and day so much better, yesterday I even dragged a fellow Golf owner out of a hedge and ditch where he had gone off on the ice and she pulled it out a treat.

Now the thing you have to remember with these are you can stop quicker and get better traction but I get loads of people try and follow me thinking oh that golf got up there but of course they didn't spot 4wd or winter Tyres and so often they haven't made it through or worse still have ditched it.

The other thing to remember is that if your driving on ice summer winter all round it doesn't matter what Tyres you just ain't stopping, for me if I only use them for a month then I will take them off and reuse them next year as it is I have had 3 weeks good use out of them!

·
Registered
486 Posts
Snow tyres are good, however i will be buying mine in July next year. Hopefully second hand off someone who does not want to store them anymore, and have forgotten they need them again in winter!

Then get Andy (Maxitrol) to fit them to some cheap alloys!

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I was talking about England not Germany. In Germany they have fairly cut seasons so I imagine when they have a winter it is a proper winter with lots of snow and ice for longer periods of time, therefore having snow tyres will probably have an advantage.

In England our weather is a lot more changable due to the Gulf stream passing near the south-east heading north which brings slightly warmer temperatures from southern Europe but because we don't have a lot of protection from the Atlantic ocean, we get a lot of wet weather too. Mild and wet seems to be the norm here although in the last few years we have had bad winters due to an increase in global warming and a shift of the Gulf stream[:S]

I think it still stands that snow tyres are a bit pointless in England, but if you feel safer by using them then it's all good!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.