Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting an increasing number of "free upgrade" calls from people on my mobile and it's starting to pee me off. Where have these companies got my number from? And how do I stop them from getting it?

I switched from PAYG to Contract last August, and am on a 12 month contract but I'm still getting calls saying I'm eligible for a new phone. Even when I was on PAYG I was getting calls saying that now my contract has expired (er, what contract?!) I could have a new phone.

None of these calls come from Orange who are my network provider, but Orange must be giving my number away or have put me in some sort of directory?

Tonight I had a number call me that I didn't recognise. I was on the landline at the time so ignored it. As soon as it stopped ringing it rang again, so I answered it only to be told that my number had come up on their database as being eligible for a free upgrade. The woman then proceeded to ask me what network I was on, how long I had left on my contract, my monthly text & call usage and even my first name! She then said she'd pass my details to their upgrade department who would contact me when I was eligible. Er, didn't you say at the start of the call that I was already eligible for a free phone?! Surely if she knew I was eligible for an upgrade she should know what network I'm on etc? Ten minutes later the same number called AGAIN but I ignored it this time. What annoyed me as well, was at the start of the call she introduced herself as xxxxx from xxxx company and then said "how are you today?" as if she was best buddies with me!

Two weeks ago I had a different company phone me and they started to say that they had a free upgrade for me as my contract has ended (which it hasn't) and I interrupted saying I didn't want an upgrade and was about to ask them to take me off their mailing list when she hung up on me!

I'm going to change my answerphone message now to say something along the lines of I'm not interested in upgrades and wish to be removed from mailing lists etc. I'm not going to answer calls from numbers I don't know or withheld numbers. If it's a genuine call they'll leave a message.

Sorry for the long post but it's really getting on my tits now. Is there something like the TPS but for mobiles? If and when I want a new phone I'll go looking for it myself. I'm not interested in changing networks and if I want a different service plan I'll ask Orange for it. Just where do these companies get my number from?

·
Registered
94 Posts
AWw i'm glad i'm not the only one who is finding this pretty annoying!

I'm getting them all the time cuz i'm planning on cancelling my contract as i'm moving to the States!

Allll the blleeeding time! Whats worse they think i'm being polite so they'll call back the next day! I'm like "I'm seriously am moving to the States!"

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
A suitably rude voicemail message usually does the trick, worked for me. I used to get a few of these, not many... I don't get any any more. I still get the texts but I just ignore them.

Know what you mean tho, piggin annoying is an understatement Claire [:mad:]

C

·
Registered
586 Posts
Golfgirl,

Where did they get your number from? Hmm I have a good guess! Have you ever sign onto any any website like myoffers.co.uk, experian, greasypalm, ipoints, rpoints or any sort of competition websites? Well that is the first place I would think they got your number from. These people just collate data and pass it on to each other. Yes you would think that they dont have the right to use it but when you sign up to any of these sites, you ARE agreeing for them to use your details. If its not this, then its probably a offline equivalent.

Dont you just love the way they phone you and then no one is talking for a few secs.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Dont you just love the way they phone you and then no one is talking for a few secs.
Ah, that's the way the call centre works - computers auto-dial the numbers, and when they get a response the call is patched through to an agent.

These days, any time I say "Hello" to be met by silence then a little click, I hang up.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TPS does also apply to Mobiles - more info can be found here: http://mpsonline.org.uk/tps/
Thanks! I don't know why but I thought that you could only register a landline with them. My mobile number has been swiftly added now!

A suitably rude voicemail message usually does the trick, worked for me. I used to get a few of these, not many... I don't get any any more. I still get the texts but I just ignore them.
I did just that last night after starting this thread! The company that rang me 3 times last night rang me again today[:mad:] so hopefully they heard my new message because I didn't answer it[:D]

Where did they get your number from? Hmm I have a good guess! Have you ever sign onto any any website like myoffers.co.uk, experian, greasypalm, ipoints, rpoints or any sort of competition websites? Well that is the first place I would think they got your number from. These people just collate data and pass it on to each other. Yes you would think that they dont have the right to use it but when you sign up to any of these sites, you ARE agreeing for them to use your details. If its not this, then its probably a offline equivalent.
None of those, no, but I suppose they've got it from other things I've signed up for though. I'm always careful to tick the box that says that I don't want to receive any future offers or for them to pass my details on to "s elected" companies. I've got spare SIM cards kicking around so I might just use one of those for signing up to things, then I'll (hopefully) just get genuine calls on my normal mobile.

·
Registered
906 Posts
A couple of week i got a phone call from a company that said was a part of orange but not orange, then they decided to try and sell me a new phone!

I am also getting them phone my work number! I ask for them to take my number off of their database.

So far nobody is phoning my mobile but i am getting a fair amount of no number missed calls

Tam

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
U can try loggin ur number with the TPS service, that does cut down a lot of 'known' call centre numbers...

As to stopping them calling u, u can't really... a lot of these
call centres just randomly dial numbers, so there's no escape.

Some numbers are taken from places where u have filled in, or given out ur number (ie application forms and stuff like that)

Normally I answer and hang up, or put them on hold, or just talk in a
dodgy accent which normally scares them off - Yaaaaaaaaaaaaa hardcore,
das is gut hans... u get the picture :)

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I used to be with Orange and got loads of calls even though I have never given out my number on the internet and have been on the TPS register for years. Last year I switched to O2 (taking my number that I have has for oevr 10 years with me) and have not had a single call.

It is funny that the common theme here is Orange customers.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Just ask them if you can meet up with them for a date where they can explain the situation better. They normally hang up on you!

Or, start asking them about their personal life, what they are wearing etc.

If you say hello and no one answers and then someone says something, just put the phone down, it's literally one of those calls.

I had one from 02 the other day, who are my contract providers. Was quite funny. Apparently they could give me the best tarriff etc. But they already did according to me and I'm very funny when it comes to these things, i.e. always check out what I need.

So he's blabbering on and on about my call usage, trying to find something, I'm talking about the weather and asking whether he has any sisters and he then says after about 10 mins.....your on the right tarriff Sir. Yes, thankyou, I know.

The calls you are getting will be from people trying to get you to sign up through them, like car phone warehouse, places like that that sell phones and tarriffs and get paid commission. I never understood how they actually make any profit these call centre places!

·
Registered
305 Posts
My work phone is also on Orange - and I, along with all of our other staff are always getting these calls. We have to answer witheld numbers as a lot of our clients and suppliers phone us through switchboards which do not give the telephone number. It's annoying, as well as a waste of time...

·
Registered
196 Posts
Say that your not interested and say can you be removed from their database. They have to do it by law...if that doesn't work say you work for your carrier then they hang up...or threaten them with OfCom (I think)

·
Registered
586 Posts
I get these a lot when my contract is due for renewal, I'm with Orange. I may be wrong here but what I think happens is other Companys essentially buy you from Orange. Your contract etc, is still with Orange but these companies, possibly affiliated with Orange, are provided with your details and fight for your custom by offering you upgrades etc. and I assume, work on commision.

I have a company Blackberry so am going to get rid of my Orange phone, I had a guy calling me last week asking "how my service plan was in terms of my usage?", I said "perfect", he said "what if we double it for free?", I said "why, I've just told you the plan I'm on suits me fine", and he was stumped!
He then said "what about a new phone?", I explained I had a Company phone so was going to cancel and he said "What about a 6 month contract then, everything half price and a handset?" I was sorely tempted.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I must have had 8 calls from the same number (01792 350023) since weekend telling me im due for an upgrade, I've only had my current contract for 9 months!!
I was polite at first then started to get more and more wound up until a friend came up with a cracker of an idea..........

Todays call was met with "Can I just put you on hold for a sec"? We then sang '100 beer bottles sitting on a wall' and actually got down to 79 before she hung up!!

I've now added my mobile number (o2 for reference) to the TPS service.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts