Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my ICE install completed [:D]

Rainbow 3 way components, Alpine 12" Type R Sub, 4 channel Apline MRV Amp and all running off a Pioneer 77MP HU.

Its bloody amazin! For so long has the MkV stereo plagued us all - I urge you, set yourselves free!

·
Registered
204 Posts
awesome dude. I was looking at these for a while and im glad to see someone has finally went for it. Sounds like a cool setup.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Got any pics Flex? Sounds like an awesome setup, am starting to miss the setup I had in my 306 [:'(](only cost about ?600 around 3 years ago but makes the RCD300 sound like it cost ?6).

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Should have soon. Home computer is not on the net at the mo (should be next week). Once I get that sorted, I will hook up the cam and post em up.

I also wanna say a big thanks to Berkshire car sounds for a superb job and excellent work. Highly recommened.

[H]

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
How have you laid the amp out ? Have you made a false floor ? I need to get my ICE into the Golf soon [:p] Does anyone know if its possible to get the 6 disc changer hooked up to an aftermarket head unit.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On the left side in a sub box at the moment. As the amp is the larger V12 I have it on the right back seat.

CD changer is Pioneer (on the right panel) so cant help you there mate.

I may get a false floor done later, I just wanted it in for the moment. If you do then let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have the P77MP too, looking at upgrading the speakers when I start work but I'll probably just go for 2 way components.

How much were your Rainbows?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
another speaker I would recomend is Crystal, they are available in 2 or 3 way from ?190 upwards. They are a very nice sounding speaker with plently of bass (but not nova style) if you get what I mean !

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
?330 rrp. I think the 2 ways are ?250.

77MP is a superb unit. The control you have over the eqauliser, frequency, HPfilters etc allows you to let each speaker do what its supposed to.

·
Registered
167 Posts
?330 rrp. I think the 2 ways are ?250.

77MP is a superb unit. The control you have over the eqauliser, frequency, HPfilters etc allows you to let each speaker do what its supposed to.
Where's the cheapest place to get them from?

Ta!

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Go to the forum which is linked off the CAD website. I picked up a Diamond Audio Sub + Box + Alpine MRD300 Amp used for ?180. I'd also recommend them as a company to buy from. Thats where I got my crystals from.

A place to get cheap amps from is

www.cel-direct.com

Don't forget to budget for a decent amp kit, www.bladeice.com are a great company to deal with.

Steve

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
not had the chance to compare them and you won't find many places where you can get to listen to them. If your anywhere near Peterborough your more than welcome to have a listen to them, they'll be in the Focus until Sunday and will then reappear in the Golf in the very near future. They are a very easy going speaker, there laid back and not as bright as Focals.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Havent heard the crystals I'm afraid. And with all bias out the window [:$] the Rainbows are a premium product and sound the nutz.

If you're in Berks (or anyone else) pm me and your welcome to have a listen [;)]

·
Registered
167 Posts
Cheers too!

I don't suppose you know how the rainbows lower down the range compare
do you? Probably be looking at the ?100-?200 price point. Or are there
other speakers that are better options at this price?

JP

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Its best to go and listen to them yourself and with music you know, what one person likes another will hate. Focal, Crystal, Diamond. JL Audio all make good speakers around teh ?150 to ?250 price point DLS are another brand to consider. Another important fact is amplification speakers need good quality power. Again DLS and Genesis are good amps. Don't bother with rear speakers unless you spend all of your time in the back. Also remember HU's like Alpine are quite harsh, and if you were to couple these with harsh speakers such as Focals you could get something thats painfull to listen too. Good luck[Y]

Go to the www.caraudiodirect.com website and go to the talk audio forum.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Yeah there's a local installer who I've heard good things about about so I'll pay them a visit.

When it comes to amps and subs, is it best to spend similar amounts as
I would on the speakers, like for home hi-fi? Or would I have to spend
more/less to get a good match?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts