Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

Rain Sensors

Mk4 Golf 
Tags
mk4 golf
3K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  blazedoobie 
#1 ·
Questions to those with the rain sensor fitted.

How effective do you find it??

How do you activate it (do you have to activate it?)??

I find that mind is more like an intermittent intermittent, if you see what i mean. BTW I am comparing this with the company Avensis, which has rain sensor(s) and borders on precognative artificial intelligence!

hmmmm.

#3 ·
I quite like it. However if the windscreen is a little smeary then it doesnt work all that well, it continues to wipe regardless of the rain level.

With a clean grease free screen it works very well IMHO, though I do find it annoying that you cant leave it on. i.e. if you get into the car later that day, you have to turn it off, then turn it on again (lever down, lever back up) to get it going again.

It would be much easier if it could be set to "on" all the time.

#10 ·
Quote: posted by blazedoobie on 01/07/2004 11:32:49

good so mine are not faulty! ToneD you mentioned adjusting sensitivity, how is this done? Or is it that you refer to the level of intermittency (time between wipes...)

Great its raining!

yeh, on normal wipers the little lever thingy adjusts the time between wipes on intermittent wipe, with rains sensors it adjusts the sensitivity (which will adjust time between wipes)

#13 ·
Quote: posted by Tom R32 on 01/07/2004 13:45:14

Mine work fine, bit annoying having to turn them on every time you start the car.

Eh?? Mine 'just work'.

If I leave the wiper stalk in the auto position (there are three positions - off, auto, slow and fast) then the auto wipers are active all the time - active as in automatically wiping, not wiping all the time! [:D]

#15 ·
I specified rain sensor wipers / auto dim mirror on my previous car, a Polo. Wipers worked OK most of the time if you kept them at maximum sensitivity (sliding switch on top of stalk - move to far right). As mentioned earlier, its best to keep the glass clean by the sensor. And yes, occasionaly you have to reset them by turning them off and then on again. I haven't got them on my Golf - miss the auto dim mirror though!

#16 ·
wipers work ok on mine. not too keen on them though.

If just one blob of rain falls all day and happens to land over the sensor then you get a very smeared screen. I think for them to work well it would take another sensor or two in different areas on the screen.

#18 ·
You'll have a big round plastic lump stuck to the inside of the screen behind the rear view mirror with a plastic wiring conduit leading up from it into the headlining, and you'll also have an auto dimming mirror (no dipping lever and a light sensor below the glass) as VW only supplied the two options together on the Golf mk4.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.