Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies if this is reported elsewhere (I haven't found it).

Can anyone tell me how to turn off the automatic wipers ?

I can't get on with how they work and I would prefer to just have manual, intermittent wipers.

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I'm sure if you have the stalk on it's lowest setting, they're off and stay off. One up is 'automatic', the next is 'intermittent' and then one more is 'raining cats and dogs'.

I always have them on auto as they work for me in the most part, but I have overridden them in the past.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I'm sure if you have the stalk on it's lowest setting, they're off and stay off. One up is 'automatic', the next is 'intermittent' and then one more is 'raining cats and dogs'.

I always have them on auto as they work for me in the most part, but I have overridden them in the past.
I thought the switch just varied the sensitivity of the rain sensor circuit?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Apologies if this is reported elsewhere (I haven't found it).

I can't get on with how they work and I would prefer to just have manual, intermittent wipers.

Thanks in advance,

Andrew
Then read the manual, page 59 in my book , pressing the lever down returns it to position 0 (off) up 1 click (intermittenet/auto) up another (on slow wipe) up another (on fast wipe) .

rarely had cause to not use the auto function, and that was in misty conditions .

love em

·
Registered
2,063 Posts

Allow me to clarrify: Bren is asking if the auto wipers can be re-configured to operate as standard 'manual' wipers. The difference is that the rocker switch on the stalk controls auto wiper sensitivity when auto wipers are fitted but on 'manual' wipers the same switch controls the frequency of intermitant wipe. Obviously you can turn the wipers 'off' in both cases by having the stalk at the '0' position!

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
It does, I'm talking about the actual stalk not the switch on the stalk.
I thought there was no intermittent setting. It goes off, rainsensor, fixed slow speed, fixed fast speed.
You are correct, Ken. With auto-wipers the 'intermittant' position is in fact the 'auto' position where the cars sensor decides how fast to operate the wipers, or to not operate them at all.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies and sorry for the silence- I've been out of the country and away from e-mail.

So it seems that I can't do anything except grin and bear it ?

At the moment I'm turning the wipers off and flicking them to wipe when it's necessary- the alternative is to have them wiping continually when I'd rather have intermittent.

I'll ask at the dealer about switching them off.

Progress......................

·
Registered
440 Posts
Must say I find the Auto function is good for 90% of the time and just leave them in that mode.

I hit a very large puddle this morning which covered the entire windscreen, couldn't see a thing.
Before I had even moved my hand to hit the wiper stalk the wipers had already started in super fast mode and cleared the screen [:D]

·
Registered
591 Posts
I'm also a big fan of the auto wipers. However I do think that windscreen and wiper blade condition affects its performance.

The bit of the windscreen where the sensor is is swept by the wipers. If you have a problem with smearing when using your wipers, there's a good chance this might affect the auto wipers.

My Mk V's original wiper blades are still performing very well even after nearly 50k miles however in some situations, particularly in cold weather, a single unnecessary wipe by the wipers can result in a few white smears left on the windscreen and these then result in the wipers staying on until I either turn them off or use the washers. Hardly the fault of the Auto Wipers though.

Stuart
http://www.stuartdalby.co.uk/vwgolfmk5

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
You're quite right Stuart. What this means though, is that the auto works great when the roads are clean, but are a PITA when they are dirty, as now. A switch position to revert to manual intermitant would be ideal IMO.

·
Registered
591 Posts
A agree a manual intermittent setting would rescue people who are dissatisfied with the Auto wipers but I guess, like most things, it all boils down to cost.

My point however was that in my experience, this problem has only become prominent due to my wearing wiper blades. I only recently noticed this problem and am confident it could be solved by replacing my time-served wiper blades.

In my previous cars, I've never had much luck with wipers and have always suffered from juddering and streaks, lines, etc. Found the Mk V's wipers to be a vast improvement. I also wonder if Auto Wipers actually prolongs the life of the wiper blades because they are rarely permantly on. i.e. they only sweep when necessary. Just my personal opinion.

Have a nice weekend everyone,
Stuart
http://www.stuartdalby.co.uk/vwgolfmk5

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My wipers are brand new (<2000 miles) and I don't think that's the problem. My wipers seem to go onto constant wipe very easily- certainly when I don't want it to and when other cars are mainly using intermittent.

Changing the setting on the multi-position switch on the wiper stalk doesn't make much difference.

It will have to be the dealer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have this problem with my passat - I can sympathise with you here. hence why I did a search to find this post!

The sensitivity control seems be be very random.

perhaps it's because I needed the wipers to clear spray - rather than rain.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
My wipers are brand new (<2000 miles) and I don't think that's the problem. My wipers seem to go onto constant wipe very easily- certainly when I don't want it to and when other cars are mainly using intermittent.

Changing the setting on the multi-position switch on the wiper stalk doesn't make much difference.

It will have to be the dealer.
Out of curiosity - nice clean windscreen at the time, or any bird crap stuck to it (for example) ??

I had this problem about a month ago, where the damn things, even on the lowest setting on the slider on top of the stalk, would just go into panic mode and wipe like the perverbial female dog!!

Just summing up the patience to ring hte dealers, washed the car.... and it's been fine again ever since.

I have days when I love the automagicness of the wipers, and I have days when I despise it. It works maybe 2/3 of the time exactly as I want - so better thna half. Given a choice though, I'd merrily take back control and have it work like the mk4 I think [:)]

C

1 - 17 of 17 Posts