Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
NooNoo
9,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My radiator fans never starts up. Now I serviced the radiator fan about 18 months ago. Ran beautifully after some light oil and GT85.
I very much doubt the temp switch is the issue. Perhaps I should drop a screwdriver across the terminals to prove loom and power is ok.

My question is, do all vehicles, including the ones WITHOUT A/C have the low/high speed resistor issue underneath the battery tray?
I have assumed non A/C don't have 1/2 speed? Is this assumption correct?

I have got concerned as the car is not overheating (indicated temp rock steady at 90°C) but with traffic returning to normal recently (queuing) I have thought there seems to be a lot of radiated heat from the engine after getting home.

A quick temp switch screwdriver bypass would probably tell all but want to know about the fan control module...

TIA :)

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I believe non-A/C cars don't have two speed fans. When I was looking for a replacement fan, non-A/C cars were only two pin fans, not three - and so they would assumingly not be affected by the low/high speed issue.

I'd either jump the pins on the rad thermo-switch or put 12v directly to the fan to double check if it works or not.

·
No more Mods....Yeah right !
1,458 Posts
A lot of Golf Mk4 owners have probably got an eye on the temp gauge and wondering about the efficiency of their A/C and Fans at the moment.
Funny enough vwvortex have just added this new 'sticky' to their site which makes for some interesting reading:

·
NooNoo
9,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I serviced my fan it was very noisy, horrible squealing!
Will link out the temp switch and see what happens!
To be continued...

·
NooNoo
9,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, replaced the end of block temp sensor flange today, weep from the block o-ring. Original absolutely flat/perished.
Checked the rad temp switch, 3 connections, bridged to red, both high and low working perfectly. So, to answer my own question, it seems even non A/C cars have 2 fan speeds. I guess the fan module doesn't fail as the rad fan never needs to run - only in drastically hot scenarios!

👍

1 - 5 of 5 Posts