Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just updated my RA2 which it seemed to complete quickly making me
think that the update for speed limits has still to be released.

I haven't been out to test it yet but can anybody confirm that the
update has been released as Blackspot indicated the end of January.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Dont think is has mate, my farther did it about 2 days ago, again like you the update was quick.  He has been out to test it and nothing, well it works, but no advisory speed message.

·
Mk4 for 13 years
993 Posts
First I was told the end of December 2005 and they indicated it would be free for subscribers, then I was told the end of January 2006. More recently this has been the latest repsonse to my contact. I sent an email on January 21st 2006, and received this in reply on 3rd February 2006:-

Thanks for your e mail.? I assume that you are enquiring when the firmware for
camera advisory speeds on New Road Angels will be released.

At the current time this is still being tested and at the moment I am not sure
when it will be released and if there will be a charge.

With this in mind, please stay in touch so we can update you on the progress
Regards

Technical Support.

It appears they may now charge subscribers for the update. Bit put off at that, and makes me think about selling my RA2.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not good at all but I really like the RA2 and miss the advisory speed limits that I had with my Origin B2.

Wouldn't like to pay more than ?10 or so for it though.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gary

What happened to your B2?
Developed a fault so had it repaired under the 2 year warranty then offloaded it on eBay for ?170.

Always wanted an A Pillar boost gauge (B2 mounted there) and preferred
the look of the new RA2, especially the blue back lit display.

·
OldSkool Crew
660 Posts
Ahh, I see!

Mine got a database corruption in early december, out of the blue, but I did a full reset on it with my PC and it's been fine since.

I don't have the problem with the illumination as Skoda have chosen the same minging green LOL.

·
Mk4 for 13 years
993 Posts
Out of interest, can I let my RA2 subscription expire (due mid Feb), take a month or 2 without updates, then pay again and begin another years worth without them stitching me up for any sort of re-connection fee?

I would email them to ask but these days it takes them an eternity to reply. Dont think there as good on cusomer service as they used to be.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Well mine was gone for over 6 weeks before I renewed it, and I just signed into my account and paid up, new year reset from that day. So I really don't see why not [:)]

C

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Out of interest, can I let my RA2 subscription expire (due mid Feb), take a month or 2 without updates, then pay again and begin another years worth without them stitching me up for any sort of re-connection fee?

I would email them to ask but these days it takes them an eternity to reply. Dont think there as good on cusomer service as they used to be.
Yep let it lapse and they will renew the subs. Customer service is still pretty much spot on if you phone them it just seems to be the email that is a little slower. But they have always replied to me within 24hrs though which I think is reasonable.

J.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
J what's the phone and email stuff for?? You can let it lapse and then pay online with debit/credit card, and it'll go through within minutes. Did this last month on a weekend (having read initially that they'll only get done 9-5 and cried - turns out this is for initial activations from what I could glean), then in the email said it'd be fairly instant - and it was, 10 mins later when I plugged it in it rattled off and updated! Fantastic result!

Ding dang doo! [;)]

C

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
J what's the phone and email stuff for?? You can let it lapse and then pay online with debit/credit card, and it'll go through within minutes. Did this last month on a weekend (having read initially that they'll only get done 9-5 and cried - turns out this is for initial activations from what I could glean), then in the email said it'd be fairly instant - and it was, 10 mins later when I plugged it in it rattled off and updated! Fantastic result!

Ding dang doo! [;)]

C
The phone and email comment was because someone said the Blackspots customer serivce had gone down the pan, nothing to do with subs!

I meant if you wanted answer to a question straight away phone them if not they normally reply to emails within 24 hours.

J.

·
Mk4 for 13 years
993 Posts
Just had a flyer delivered from blackspot this morning. It appears they are bringing out a new 2006 range of road angels, the RA2 2006 verson is called the Road Angel Plus. Its basically the same, but has an improved screen, and a few extra features. The "Special Offer" to existing customers of RA2 to upgrade to the Road Angel Plus is the bargain price of ?199.00??????????????

Also, your subscription, however long you have left, even if its a lifetime one, CANNOT be transferred should you choose to upgrade.

Sounds like a complete shafting by Blackspot to its current customers.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Agreed, mine landed this morning too.

I'll be penning an email shortly to them to find out what the score is. RA+ is what we've got + speed advisories + battery powered basically.

We'll see what comes back from them

C

·
Registered
178 Posts
If it was ?100 to upgrade my 1 year old road angel 2 to the plus model I would definitely consider it - but ?199! My flyer went straight in the bin (recycling bin of course).

·
Mk4 for 13 years
993 Posts
Just had a flyer delivered from blackspot this morning. It appears they are bringing out a new 2006 range of road angels, the RA2 2006 verson is called the Road Angel Plus. Its basically the same, but has an improved screen, and a few extra features. The "Special Offer" to existing customers of RA2 to upgrade to the Road Angel Plus is the bargain price of ?199.00??????????????

Also, your subscription, however long you have left, even if its a lifetime one, CANNOT be transferred should you choose to upgrade.

Sounds like a complete shafting by Blackspot to its current customers.
I have AGAIN emailed Blackspot in relation to this. I have again asked about the reported firmware update for RA2's and enquired what will be available for RA2 current customers. I have also mentioned that the offer of upgrade from RA2 to RA plus for ?199 is rather extortionate.

Im not holding my breath.........

While I await a reply I might spend a bit of time trying to remove the notty prop (with BLACKSPOT written on it) from my back side!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts