Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have managed to get a brand new one of these off E-bay for ?136, not too happy with using the windscreen suction pads as I dont want to advertise the fact that I have one to thieves, I was hoping to fit it either at the side of the speedo binnacle or even lower down by utilising a separate aerial, any thoughts or suggestions please.........I would of course remove it when not in the car..[:^)]

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your pictures are fine S/sack you just need to paste the URL's underneath each other not side by side, thanks for your efforts [:)]

Did you use the 'velcro' type fastening to secure to top of dash ?

·
Registered
779 Posts
No that little round magnet had double sided tape on,so it just stuck on the dash,its a lot neater than haveing the suction pads on the window.

·
Registered
779 Posts
No that little round magnet(which the road angel sits on) had double sided tape on so it just stuck on the dash,its a lot neater than having the suction pads on the window.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No that little round magnet(which the road angel sits on) had double sided tape on so it just stuck on the dash,its a lot neater than having the suction pads on the window.
Sounds good, must admit havent taken it all out of the box yet, is yours hard wired or are you running the cable (hidden) to your cigar/power point ? Oh and thanks for your help [:)]

·
Registered
418 Posts
No that little round magnet(which the road angel sits on) had double sided tape on so it just stuck on the dash,its a lot neater than having the suction pads on the window.
Oh and thanks for your help [:)]
No probs mate,its hardwired into the fuse box.
Did you do that your self or pay to have it done? Wifes got me a RA Compact for Christmas so i'll be fitting mine in just over a week [:)]

Chris

·
Registered
779 Posts
No someone did it for me,it took them about 5 minutes,if the wife got it from Halfords for you they will fit it foc,if not any auto electrician will do it.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Do these things really work (Road Angel that is)? - I was just about to buy one and read some terrible reviews of the product on the web - typically "I just bought one of these, on my regular drive to work I pass six speed cameras, RA picked up four of these. Did a long trip up to Birmingham and it missed four cameras that I saw, very disappointed". This was not a one off case and it seemd to me that if the unit is not 100% reliable all the time its a waste of money as it only takes one camera to get you.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I've been out in a few mates cars that have them and they haven't failed to spot them but you need to keep them up to date which is just a case of plugging it intoyour pc and downloading the updates.

I managed to get my RA Compact for ?175 from the group buy i've not seen them for less than ?199 anywhere else.

Chris

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've been out in a few mates cars that have them and they haven't failed to spot them but you need to keep them up to date which is just a case of plugging it intoyour pc and downloading the updates.

I managed to get my RA Compact for ?175 from the group buy i've not seen them for less than ?199 anywhere else.

Chris
There is a guy on E-bay that regularly sells the compact brand new for under ?150, I tried to get one off the GB on here but just missed out so placed a maximum bid gainst this guys items for a week or so of ?140 until I won one last friday, paid via paypal and despatched the day after payment special delivery. I think he must be a dealer due the qty's he sells, funny thing is I initially offered him ?150 via e-mail and he refused which made me smile when I 'won' one a few days later for less money - ?136 + PP [:D]

I had a good look at the compact last night and it looks very good quality and fairly discreet due to its size, will get a pal to hard wire it and will probably go for the external aerial (?13.99 - Ebay) so I get more options as to where it goes.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts

Chris
There is a guy on E-bay that regularly sells the compact brand new for under ?150, I tried to get one off the GB on here but just missed out so placed a maximum bid gainst this guys items for a week or so of ?140 until I won one last friday, paid via paypal and despatched the day after payment special delivery. I think he must be a dealer due the qty's he sells, funny thing is I initially offered him ?150 via e-mail and he refused which made me smile when I 'won' one a few days later for less money - ?136 + PP [:D]

I had a good look at the compact last night and it looks very good quality and fairly discreet due to its size, will get a pal to hard wire it and will probably go for the external aerial (?13.99 - Ebay) so I get more options as to where it goes.
Do you get the six months 'free' update subscription period from the ebay guy? This is worth ?24.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Thought all RA's (regarldess of type) came with 6 months, and it all ties into the serial number so it's irrelevant who you buy it off?? Correct me if I'm wrong [:)]

Also, RE bad reviews, I'm surprised at that - mine's missed one, and it's been many many places I'd have lost my licence no doubt if I'd not had the little beauty with me [y]

This is RA2 (non-compact) just for clarity [:)]

C

1 - 20 of 21 Posts