Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

R36

2K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  VWMichael 
#1 ·
The new Passat in America will come with a 3.6 VR6 FSI with 280ps.

Sounds like this could be the engine for the R36[^]

#3 ·
alright mate, is your user name real? you could be letting yourself in for trouble on this forum if it is, the amount of questions that will come your way could be scary.

Sounds interesting because someone else posted about the new line up of Audi S/RS cars and they were using the same engine I think.

#5 ·
The 3.6 will be reserved for the Passat. It would fit in the Golf as the new Passat uses a transverse engine layout (the old one had an Audi-esque longitudinal engine), but it wont be offered.

Instead, the new R32 will be out towards the end of this year (apparently) and will use a 260bhp 3.2 unit, which is presumably a tuned version of the IV R32.

I've read in numerous places that there will be no R36.

#7 ·
Very true S1R SS... it's all total speculation, there's been nothing mentioned at all from VW, not even confirming another R will arrive!

To release it this year would be stupid on their part... it'll step on the toes of the GTI. It'll be mid to late next year i reckon, by that time the GTI will have had a good 18 months to shift large amounts, and the R will take centre stage from there on.

#8 ·
From auto express website:-

Wednesday 22nd September 2004

Number's Up For Next R32

An exclusive image in this week's mag reveals the look of the R32's replacement, and what's more its' getting a new name: R34

Sources close to the project have told us the original 3.2-litre V6 engine's capacity is rising to 3.4 litres.

The unit will develop around 260bhp and be mated to VW's 4MOTION all-wheel drive for uncompromising grip. Three and five-door bodystyles will be offered, and the R34 is likely to cost about ?27,000 when it arrives next year.

#13 ·
Quote: posted by Gti Fly on 15/01/2005 19:53:04

Ooo sounds intresting!

But ?27k is VERY dangerous territory!!

Dangerous indeed given the car will be at least ?30k with the usual options. The competition in this area means also that the R32 (or whatever its called) will make it a necessity for 300bhp or more to be a performance car otherwise my money goes elsewhere....i.e. back to BMW and 300-400bhp hello baby![;)]

#14 ·
VW seem to be falling into the trap of not realising they cannot compete with the luxury brands of BMW etc. ?27k for a Golf is ludicrous unless it has well in excess of 300bhp.

The thing is, the R32 handles so so well, what will the MK5 bring that the current R doesn't have? A few more ponies... is that where the extra ?5k will go?

#15 ·
Well judging how good the mk5 Gti is, I reckon the R36 should be a corker too.

Given that it should be a born star and building on the reputation of the R32, I reckon VW will easy shift a load of R36's

I really don't think there will be much of a issue, as there are people who always have the cash to splash.

With a base price of ?27k, personally I wouldn't do it. I'm one of those people who will tick every option box, so the spec I'd want would end up costing ?35k!

?35k for a Golf?!

I was mad paying ?27k!

#16 ·
I spoke to a friend of my dads last week; he works for part of VW in Germany and says the new R/GOLF is still an undecided project [:(]. He also read the recent Auto Express article and said it was a complete load of bolox.... "They are known in the trade as the SUN of the Motor Industry".

Worse still, they have no plans to release anything for at least another 18 months [:(]

He's has also heard rumours that they are currently planning a hot GTI for the tail end of this year, but couldn't comment on anything more....

#18 ·
Quote: posted by LOFLUX on 16/01/2005 01:44:51

I spoke to a friend of my dads last week; he works for part of VW in Germany and says the new R/GOLF is still an undecided project [:(]. He also read the recent Auto Express article and said it was a complete load of bolox.... "They are known in the trade as the SUN of the Motor Industry".

There was a picture of the new r34/r36 testing in the auto express (I think it was one of the september 2004 issues, with a red gti on the front). I haven't got it anymore, but if anyone has it is just at the end of the GTI roadtest.

Quote: posted by Royster on 16/01/2005 08:33:54

Auto Express may have that little nugget correct then? as they speculated that there would be a stripped out GTI

Wednesday 22nd September 2004

VW To Build GTI Light

It's lift-off for the GTI Light! Auto Express can exclusively reveal that Volkswagen is to build a stripped-out version of the new Golf, offering up to 230bhp.

We learned of the newcomer during an exclusive interview with VW boss Bernd Pischetsrieder. The car, set to go on sale in early 2006, has been created purely for keen drivers. He told us: "There are plans for variations of the Golf model, maybe with up to 230bhp and a lighter weight. Ostensibly, however, there will only be one GTI - it's a car in its own right, and not a trim level."

Losing excess weight will be the key, so the doors, bonnet and tailgate will be made from hi-tech alloy to keep the bodyshell light. Non-essential comfort features, such as the weighty components for

the air-conditioning system and electric window motors, will be ditched completely. If the firm's engineers get it right, the result should be sensational acceleration and amazing agility.

The standard version's blown FSI engine will be uprated, using a larger turbocharger and a remapped ECU to deliver in the region of 230bhp, along with a 0-60mph sprint time of around six seconds. Lightweight models aren't new; we revealed Renault's second-generation Clio Cup in last week's magazine. However, the development is a move into uncharted waters for VW.

This latest performance Golf is designed to counter the threat from the hot versions of all-new offerings in the small family hatchback market, such as the Vauxhall Astra and Ford Focus.

#20 ·
Quote: posted by Chris on 16/01/2005 23:53:24

Well someone at VW lies then, because in an interview just 2 months ago, some top dog denied catergorically that there would be any lighter versions of the GTI....

Yeah. The VW boss said there is only going to be one GTI, yet on the 'new golf gti' site, it says there are plans for a 2.0 TDI with 160ps...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.