Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

R32s prices starting to drop!

5K views 98 replies 44 participants last post by  simch 
#1 ·
Browsing VW's website for second hand R32's and its quite surprising how many can now be poicked up for under ?19000!

My local Dealer has a Blue R32, FEB 2003, with 27000 miles and leather/alcantara interior for just ?18995!!

I sort of predicted that the R32 would drop in value once the new GTI was launched. I reckon we can expect to see R32's drop to around ?16 - ?17K by mid summer, as demand for the GTI accelerates.

Its in Volkswagens interest to drop R32 prices cause in short, it wants to sell its new baby, the GTI.

#30 ·
Quote: posted by Foxy on 21/01/2005 11:51:43

but we still buy the latest and newest 'toy'.

Exactly

A large proportion of R32s were bought by people after the latest thing, not specific VW enthusiasts. The R is no longer the latest thing, so they sell up and buy the next one. The R is still a decent car and now its good news for everyone - depreciation is still pretty good, and now people who want to spend ?17k can afford one. R owners needn't be upset IMO, they've had their moneys worth - hopefully now, dealers will stop putting examples on the forecourt at ?25k (see Poole VW)!

#32 ·
Quote: posted by sutherlandm on 21/01/2005 14:55:14

Yikes!!

I made an attempt at selling mine, was offered what I thougt was cack money so am TRAGICALLY keeping it for a while.

Oh the suffering...!

Rob - You do seem very pro mk5 GTI and not very pro R32, although the above comment was not the right way to put it!

At what point have I slagged off the R32?

Jezz! I really dont know why I bother! Getting worse than CGTI forum! [V]

#33 ·

Rob - You do seem very pro mk5 GTI and not very pro R32, although the above comment was not the right way to put it!

How can Rob be against the R32 when he actually used to own one?! It wasn't his choice to sell it but now feels it's time to move on to newer pastures. I'm happy with the R32 at the moment, as are a lot of others but some people like to move on...

And as I've been told by several people before you can't compare the R32 with the new GTI so the price drop of the R32 is irrelevant really because the Mk 5 isn't actually the R32 replacement. It is however the next newest thing with all the toys and fancy bits so instead of people buying an old shape car with all the toys they decide to go for something newer with the same toys.

#34 ·
A large proportion of R32s were bought by people after the latest thing, not specific VW enthusiasts. The R is no longer the latest thing, so they sell up and buy the next one. The R is still a decent car and now its good news for everyone - depreciation is still pretty good, and now people who want to spend ?17k can afford one.

summed up perfectly. this is not a "slag the R" thread, its merely pointing out that the GTi will take sales because people will always be after the best/latest performance Golf. for dealers to be selling R32's at 23/24k is ridiculous bearing in mind the brand new cost. thats not a comment about the car, merely that depreciation is a fact of life, much like tax and death [;)]

#35 ·
Quote: posted by rob.gti on 21/01/2005 15:41:35

Yikes!!

I made an attempt at selling mine, was offered what I thougt was cack money so am TRAGICALLY keeping it for a while.

Oh the suffering...!

At what point have I slagged off the R32?

Jezz! I really dont know why I bother! Getting worse than CGTI forum! [V]

Rob, deep breaths! [:I]

CGTI Forum?! That's still going?! [:eek:)]

Jeffers

#36 ·
R32 rocks..... am test driving a new GTi this weekend! Not that I want one but in my opinion it does not match up to the R and is a very different vehicle. The centre console in the MKv is F in annoying as it does not provide me with a comfortable driving style (but that is for me)

If I were to trade in/sell etc etc I would be looking for

a) R36?????

b) RS4?

c) Toureg?

d) keep it and buy a TDi run-around

But as it stands I am more than happy with the performance and enjoyment from the R and at the end of the day a car is always worth what you to believe it to be - unless you are a complete spanner and enjoy over paying for the latest toy - I wonder how many people paid top wack for a Robosapien for Xmas ( I paid < ?55 ) as that was what I beleived it to be worth at the time.

Having had company cars in the past, I have it in my head that I will never outright own a car (unless of course my redundancy payoff comes through) but there will always be some value to you, rather than a leasing company.

#37 ·
Rob - Calm down!

You have repeatedly stated how you think the GTI is a lot better than the R (no a direct slad off, but not far from it) and although you had an R (a semed to LOVE it to bits at the time), the circumstances under which you got rid of it (i.e.total bad luck) would lead me to think you would prefer to distance yourself from it.

You'll either agree or throw a total fit now.

The GTI and R are both great, but they are quite different. End of story.

#38 ·
Quote: posted by sutherlandm on 21/01/2005 16:30:19

Rob - Calm down!

You have repeatedly stated how you think the GTI is a lot better than the R (no a direct slad off, but not far from it) and although you had an R (a semed to LOVE it to bits at the time), the circumstances under which you got rid of it (i.e.total bad luck) would lead me to think you would prefer to distance yourself from it.

You'll either agree or throw a total fit now.

The GTI and R are both great, but they are quite different. End of story.

Thats rich mate!

And as for distancing myself from the R! What a crock of poo pooe! If I owned one still, I would be chopping it in for a GTI. Running costs alone on the R32 were enough to swing it for me. But the GTI is a fantastic car, the R32 was great no question, but for all round package - the GTI wins hands down.

Ask yourself how many Awards the R32 won...... that would be none. Its a fantastic car, but it is not a car for everyone. I know a bloke who owned a V6 4 motion and trasded it in for a R32, 3 days later he went back and got his old car back!! The R32 is great, but it primerily designed as a Track car. For normal Joe Bloggs, the GTI is far more suitable.

No salgging off... Just fact.

#41 ·
Quote: posted by bigburd on 21/01/2005 16:19:02

....If I were to trade in/sell etc etc I would be looking for

a) R36?????

b) RS4?

c) Toureg?

d) keep it and buy a TDi run-around

But as it stands I am more than happy with the performance and enjoyment from the R and at the end of the day a car is always worth what you to believe it to be

Like the R as an everyday run-about and was thinking about my next car (ordered already) and decided to keep the R too. Might sell it but when who knows when.....basically when I feel like changing and as far as prices go pah[:p], the impetus to change will be enjoyment driven.

Like you said, I too paid what the R was worth to me which is always my approach to car buying.[;)]

#46 ·
Rats.. they're almost the same wonga I've payed for me Cooper S.

Now.. don't get me wrong, the Cooper S is a fantastic car and I can't wait til March 1st to get mine [:D] But I'd have had an R32 like a shot if I'd known!! Its just in a different class compared to EVERY other hot hatch out there. IMHO

PS.. no bickering from now on in this thread. We're sick of bickering

#49 ·
We need to start a VW car club. monthly subscription to get a different VW every month. A corrado vr6 (mmm), touareg v10, gti, r32, polo gti, lupo gti (?), phaeton (?!?) gttdi, anni pd/gti etc. Just like the classic car club. All those that dont want a GTI can leave it and ditto for the R32.[:D]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.