Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
81 - 99 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
10,606 Posts
Quote: posted by spanner on 27/01/2005 17:11:52

People say I am insane to use it for all the mileage I cover, however I'm one of those people that doesnt see the point in spending money on a car, only for it to live in the garage. What's the point in spending ?21k on a drivers car and not driving it !!

When the horrible time comes that I sell the car, I'll know that despite the high mileage, it will have been driven as intended (but not harshly) and all the parts have been serviced correctly and regularly. Therefore, no matter how much money it loses - I'll have enjoyed it - and at the end of the day that's all that matters !

Well said there!

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Quote: posted by bigburd on 27/01/2005 17:28:40

Whilst at the dealers the other day they advised that VW UK were limiting to 6000 cars in the first production year to keep some initial exclusivity (6000 as opposed to 750 R32's - where's the equality there)

LOL 750...

·
Registered
835 Posts
Okay. I said mine was close to 30k.....closer than I thought as it passed it last night on the way home [!]

As for 750 R32s - LOL indeed. VW UK got greedy and wanted to milk the R32 phenomenon as much as possible and hence R32 prices suffer on the second hand market.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Yep - VW have well an truly stuffed us on R32 resale prices.

Very shortsighted of them as I reckon R32 customers (often poached from BMW, Audi, etc) are generally well off enough to choose what they want and more discerning than your average 1.6 owner.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Agree with you completely mate. They dilute the market with too many cars and then offer insulting part exchange values - great way of keeping customers that !

It's almost as bad as how Renault stuffed the original Clio V6 buyers but suddenly slashing the price cos they had a few left they they couldnt shift.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just wanted to add my thoughts to this thread as I have been reading this forum and others since the first whisper of an R32 and felt compelled to comment.

1) Do you all remember the comments "?25,000 for a Golf?!! - Well that is with leather, 4 wheel drive and all the stuff like heated seats and rain sensing whispers and xenon headlights.

2) The new GTI is by all accounts a great car but it simply does not compare as it is designed as a mass production GTI and if you want a similar specification as the R32 then it costs more than the R32 without a 3.2 litre engine or 4 wheel drive. This is simply because the ethos of the original GTI was just a simple quick car. This is not meant in any way to be derogatory but simply expressing the fact that the R32 is not a GTI. It is a different breed but shares the same bloodline.

3) I also remember all sorts of banter about resale value. Most of this was prophesizing how much all the R32 owners would lose when they came to sell. Now in my opinion this is the interesting bit; The R32 is just over 2 years old as a UK production car now and as such quite a few of the early adopters are looking to move on. It seems to me that the original "anti-R32" brigade is back with prophecies of doom about prices of R32's and how the market is "awash" with second hand examples. Could be that it suits them for this to the true!! Or simply a case of sour grapes as the prices have remained IMHO reasonable.

Just to add clarity to this rambling: - I bought my R32 on January 21 2003 and have enjoyed 2 years of memorable ownership. It is time for me to move on as I need a bigger boot and just fancy a change. I have traded my much loved silver R32 for a very reasonable price with an Audi dealer (who has passed it onto a VW one) I have experienced depreciation of a smidgen over 20% in 2 years. In anyone?s book that is very good and about what I had expected. The Audi (S4 Avant) I am buying is one year old and has depreciated by 15 % in that time(again very good).Depreciation is a fact.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Well said that man. Was thinking about the R32 options list the other day. Think it read:

Leather / Alcantara

Delta Radio

Sat Nav

Sunroof

Cruise

and that was it. Everything else was already on the car.

The way I see it, if you sell a car after a year of ownership, the depreciation hit is far greater than it would be if it's spread over 3 years, hence I am keeping mine for another year or (hopefully) 2 years. One year of ownership simply isn't enough [:D]

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Quote: posted by sutherlandm on 28/01/2005 09:41:13

Yep - VW have well an truly stuffed us on R32 resale prices.

Sorry Matt, I don't get the gripe with VW about re-sale values. A car is worth what someone will pay - if no-one will pay then values drop.

Why is it VWs fault - s/h values can't be 'set' like a retail price, it's market forces at work here not a VW plot to sell more MkV GTis....[;)]

Please don't get me wrong I'm not anti-R32 I'm just trying to be realistic, cars depreciate - it's life, no-one can be blamed.

[/my 2p]

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Quote: posted by byron13 on 28/01/2005 13:46:31

1) Do you all remember the comments "?25,000 for a Golf?!! - Well that is with leather, 4 wheel drive and all the stuff like heated seats and rain sensing whispers and xenon headlights.

2) The new GTI is by all accounts a great car but it simply does not compare as it is designed as a mass production GTI and if you want a similar specification as the R32 then it costs more than the R32 without a 3.2 litre engine or 4 wheel drive.

3) I also remember all sorts of banter about resale value. Most of this was prophesizing how much all the R32 owners would lose when they came to sell.

Just to add clarity to this rambling: - I bought my R32 on January 21 2003 and have enjoyed 2 years of memorable ownership..... I have experienced depreciation of a smidgen over 20% in 2 years. In anyone?s book that is very good and about what I had expected.

The above points are extremely valid IMO. I was thinking only a couple of days ago about how much (or in fact how little) the R32 has depreciated. I would like to say I would be able to sell my R32 at maybe 15% less than what it was brand new. If not 15% then certainly 20%. There are few cars out there with those sort of depreciation rates, and I'll eat my hat if the new GTI is only 20% cheaper than it is now in 2 years time. But like you say, it will be mass produced and is not in the same league as an R32 anyway.

To get the spec of a GTI up to the same as an R32 would make the GTI more expensive than the R32 like you say and personally I think that's wrong.

Depreciation is a fact. You never make money on cars. I don't find it surprising at all that R32's can be found sub 19k now - they've held their price for so long they had to drop at some time and it just so happens that it is around the time the GTI is launched but TBH I don't think it is because the GTI is a better car but because people want the latest toy.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I suppose I'm just rather narked at VW still selling R32s for big money claiming there's massive demand, very rare, etc then when you go to p/x one it's the opposite - Plenty about, hard to shift, etc.

In a free market, they would be stuffed (e.g. at the cheaper end of the market where most car buying/selling is private), but with their buying power, we rely on them at this price point to move our cars on.

Of course cars depreciate but this deviousness isn't making me want to get another VW one bit at the moment.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have to say all dealers whatever brand will try to bash you down. I have heard figures of >?1500 margin for them to consider taking a car on (unless they are selling you another one - and only then if they have a margin on that one!)Have to admit private sales do not attract VAT where as a dealer has to take 17.5% out of the price to cover VAT. They also claim they have to do a full check (but not at the labour prices per hour they charge us)I think the only people who give market value for PX's is the brands who have to try very hard to get your business (examples are Fiat and Alfa).

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Quote: posted by sutherlandm on 28/01/2005 14:57:23

Of course cars depreciate but this deviousness isn't making me want to get another VW one bit at the moment.

All dealers whether a main dealer or not, will stitch us up. They are a business, out to make money and will do whatever they can to get the most out of our pockets.[B)]

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
When I sell my R32, - 3years old if I get 45% of its value - ?10k I will be happy...

At the end of the day its a brilliant car, I will have had 3 years of extreme pleasure in driving it and a better than average trade in value.....

I dont regret buying one at all. it wasn't a investment for me it was my ultimate car - and what a car.....................

·
Registered
565 Posts
Quote: posted by Martyn on 28/01/2005 18:00:44

When I sell my R32, - 3years old if I get 45% of its value - ?10k I will be happy...

At the end of the day its a brilliant car, I will have had 3 years of extreme pleasure in driving it and a better than average trade in value.....

I dont regret buying one at all. it wasn't a investment for me it was my ultimate car - and what a car.....................

Well said. I reckon Waldorf & Statler would have approved!

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Quote: posted by sutherlandm on 28/01/2005 14:57:23

I suppose I'm just rather narked at VW still selling R32s for big money claiming there's massive demand, very rare, etc then when you go to p/x one it's the opposite - Plenty about, hard to shift, etc.

Its the same wherever you are; dealers spout whats in the dealer release sadly, very few seem to be enthusiasts these days. I remember trying to order R32 pedals and my dealer saying 'whats an R32?'...then 6 weeks later, I took one for a blat and they were trying to tell me how rare they were compared to a car like mine (of which only 147 were sold in the UK). But its not just VW, try Mercedes - by far the worst dealer service of any car manufacturer IMO. Will sell you a 'depreciation proof' SLK and then offer you ?8k less a year later!

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Quote: posted by byron13 on 28/01/2005 15:33:58

Have to say all dealers whatever brand will try to bash you down. I have heard figures of >?1500 margin for them to consider taking a car on (unless they are selling you another one - and only then if they have a margin on that one!)Have to admit private sales do not attract VAT where as a dealer has to take 17.5% out of the price to cover VAT. They also claim they have to do a full check (but not at the labour prices per hour they charge us)I think the only people who give market value for PX's is the brands who have to try very hard to get your business (examples are Fiat and Alfa).

Dealer will only pay VAT on the profit he sells the car for, once he's charged all he can to the car to turn it around. Profit on a used R32 selling for say 20k will probably be at least 2k for them. You can't begrudge then their profit, it will be only say 10-15% on an R32. The real money on used cars will be on the polos and the like, where they will make c.1.5k to 2k on a car they retail out at about ?6k! You can see the margin is c30% on these.

R32 is just about the best depreciating VW ever, IMO. I think in 2 years time they will still be retailing for 15k. Although the R34 mk5 or whatever may affect it, I cannot see the GTI making to much difference to R32 prices.

81 - 99 of 99 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.