Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Browsing VW's website for second hand R32's and its quite surprising how many can now be poicked up for under ?19000!

My local Dealer has a Blue R32, FEB 2003, with 27000 miles and leather/alcantara interior for just ?18995!!

I sort of predicted that the R32 would drop in value once the new GTI was launched. I reckon we can expect to see R32's drop to around ?16 - ?17K by mid summer, as demand for the GTI accelerates.

Its in Volkswagens interest to drop R32 prices cause in short, it wants to sell its new baby, the GTI.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
it's not really down to VW to drop the prices, if demand drops then the price will drop. Personally I would still rather have the R32

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dealers have decided prices for the R32, which is why they have remained high. Yes demand makes a difference, but VW will reprice the R32 lower than the GTI now so that they make more money. Remember the GTI is still selling without discount, yet a second hand R32 will be up for negotiations.

Its just my opinion, but the R32 held its price because there was no MK5 performance alternative, now there is, people will go for that instead. Bear in mind the MK5 is leagues ahead of the MK4

·
Registered
796 Posts
whilst we as discerning owners appreciate the relative qualities of the R and GTi, and judge them as seperate cars in their own right, the fact is they are both top of the range motors from different generations of the Golf.

There will always be people who want the top of the range Golf and the fact is the GTi is the new man in town and has received rave reviews. Of course the arrival of the new GTi will affect residuals of the R, as potential R purchasers will bound to be tempted by the new GTi

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Quote: posted by rob.gti on 20/01/2005 14:28:13

...Dealers have decided prices for the R32...

No they don't - dealers put as much on the screen as they can get away with - if some mug one will pay it, so be it!

Trade guides work on the sales that have actually happened, not what they'd like to get, so if the price is dropping then you can bet that demand has dropped too.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Quote: posted by marriedblonde on 20/01/2005 16:05:14

?19K for a 2 year old golf with 27K isn't exactley a bargain is it though?

Precisely my thoughts....hardly think its a price drop, that looks more like holding steady[;)]

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote: posted by Doc on 20/01/2005 17:03:45

Precisely my thoughts....hardly think its a price drop, that looks more like holding steady[;)]

With Leather/alcantara etc, that car would have been ?21000 just before xmas IMO.

Demand for the R32 is not as high as it was either. VW bought my R32 back of mee back in September, it only sold last week! ? months on the forecourt would say Demand isnt there.

However, Demand for the New GTI is extremely high, with Delivery dates of May/June being quoted!! The R32 has to drop in price so that Dealers can shift them.

(BTW it was a Feb 2004, Reflex Silver with only 8000 miles on the clock and the dealers had it up for ?21995.)

·
Registered
15 Posts
As has been mentioned throughout this thread, pricing generally comes down to what someone will pay for a car. If people are prepared to pay ?20k+ for an R32 then all the dealers will price them at ?20k+ and will be resistant to a deal. If the people aren't prepared to pay that amount for them they drop the price slightly and are willing to haggle to a lower price.

After I had had my Clio V6 for 6months I was so annoyed with the rubbish dealer service from Renault I went to the local VW dealers to trade it for a new R32(they were only just available then). The demand for the R32 was so high then they weren't interested in a trade in for my Clio because they already had plenty of potential cash buyers for brand new R32s and the trade in would've meant they had to give me cash back (all be it about ?500).

Now the Clio is worth ?14-15k and an R32 ?18-22k.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Quote: posted by rob.gti on 20/01/2005 17:15:07

Quote: posted by Doc on 20/01/2005 17:03:45

With Leather/alcantara etc, that car would have been ?21000 just before xmas IMO.

Demand for the R32 is not as high as it was either. VW bought my R32 back of mee back in September, it only sold last week! ? months on the forecourt would say Demand isnt there.

However, Demand for the New GTI is extremely high, with Delivery dates of May/June being quoted!! The R32 has to drop in price so that Dealers can shift them.

(BTW it was a Feb 2004, Reflex Silver with only 8000 miles on the clock and the dealers had it up for ?21995.)

Did VW offer you a job or something? It's clear you like the MK5, but you seem to have a somewhat blinkered and one-sided opinion towards it mate.

·
Registered
134 Posts
MKV GTI RULES!!! Lol just kidding...[:D] Saw several R32s at Dealer forecourts and they have been there for ages. I saw them knock 1k off the price of one of them this was in the space of two weeks. Car still has not sold yet.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts