Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, im quite new to the forum so any help would be very greatly appreciated. Ive just bought some r32 xenons off ebay, and my problem is that im usure weather they are plug and play? The units have a silver box on the back on each of them and they both have the electrical hazard warning symbol which i assume this means they are the ballasts? I know that i need a 10pin to 12pin wiring adaptor to mate up the connections, but having read some of the previous post about non plug and play xenons, im a bit concerned im ?400 squid down and unable to operate the lights. The lights are made by automotive part num for rh light is 1j2941018f, the othe light has the sticker missing so i am unable to confirm this, but the lights are identical in every way. The other thing im usure about is that there has been some kind of mod inside the headlamp and around three wires have been cut and joined to other wires which exit the rear of the lamp and i dont know what theses are for. I guess that they may have been some kind of self levelling modification, but can anybody confirm this?

Please help if you can

andy

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Its difficult to confirm without pics but it sounds like you have the correct xenons and the levelling mod has already been done.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Post some pics and someone will be able to give you a good idea of what you need, if anything.

As above, it sounds like you have a pair with a wiring mod already done
- you need to check if it's been done properly although that shouldn't
be too difficult once you've put pics up.

What did the seller say - had he/she used them before ?

?400 sounds like a good price.

I've seen 2 pairs go for over ?500 in the past 3 days, bidding went silly at the last minute.

If you decide to sell yours be sure to post the auction number.

I want a set & can't find any so am toying with getting the cheaper HID kit from VAG Parts.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah the seller said that the lights were used on his v6 4motion. I will try to get some pics up and explain what im on about. Its just the three wires that are exiting the lights that are confusing me

Thanks for getting bck to me as quickly as you did

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rite, ive got a few pics to explain what im blabbering on about. Here are mx xenons. Each has a silver box on the back which i presume is the ballast and hopefully these are the lights i require for plug and play.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rite, ive got a few pics to explain what im blabbering on about. Here are mx xenons. Each has a silver box on the back which i presume is the ballast and hopefully these are the lights i require for plug and play. I hpoe its ?400 well spent!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Each headlamp has one of these on the back so i hope its the plug and play ones i have?? can anybody confim this

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The problem i have is that each headlamp has the original loom still attatched. The guy whom i bough them off says that he had them fitted to his existing loom by tapping into the wires and soldering the correct wires together, hence why there is a load of wires hanging out the back of them. not sure if you can see from the pics but where my finger is pointing is the three wires that are also exiting the headlamps through a drilled hole above where the loom connects onto the headlamp. Would anybody know what these are for? I presume they are for the manual levelling mod but i thought this was done internally and if so what should the wires be connected to?? this is what i desperately need help with.

Please help!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ive got a rough pic of the inside or the headlamp and it sort of shows what the wires are connected to. There are two black wires and one brown wire that have been cut and used for this mod. Im just wandering if these lights are still able to be used and if i need to reverse whatever has been modified to the wires.

Any help whatsoever would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
seems to me that there still plug and play. If i were you i'd sack off the old loom thats attatched and use plug and play adaptors. As for the other wires for the levelling there is a manual levelling mod on here if you do a search. Hope that helps. Steve

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Does anybody know where i can source some adaptors from as i need to get these lights rigged up asap?

Also why im on the subject, ive looked at older post about the manual levelong mod that is done internally on the xenons, im just curious if the wire colours are different due to the make of the headlamp. i.e either bosch or automotive?

cheers

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
The manual levelling mod has already been done, thats what you are looking at with the brown and black and yellow wires.

Just source some 10-12 pin adapters off ebay and away you go.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Sorry, just looked closely at your internal picture and it seems the sockets are missing off the rear.

Is this the case?

If so then you may need to buy new rear caps, I've just bought one for mine though they aren't cheap at around ?35-?40 each.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks for the response really appreciate it. Although im convinced the manual levelling mod has been done, what are the extra three wires got to be connected to???

iI dont mean to sound rude but im not quite sure what is missing and i was hoping somebody could explain?

maybe part numbers??

Thanks Very Much

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Where you see the cable passing through the rear of the light by your thumb, thats where a socket should be.

You then use 10-12pin adaptors from said socket 12 pin socket to your cars 10 pin plug.

The socket is part of the rear cap, thats the black bit that hinges
away from the headlight, its these that you may need to replace.

1J1 941 607 M - Cover Cap Left - ?39.89+VAT

1J1 941 608 H - Cover Cap Right - ?39.89+VAT

Your dealer may discount those prices, mine knocked 20% off without me asking.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts