Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went to the dealers today for some servicing stuff, saw an R32 for sale 04 plate with 12,500 miles on the clock for ?18,000, the dealer was talking and offered me ?11,000 for my 53 plate 1.8T, which was what I paid for it in may!

I was just curious as to what the r32's are like compared to revo'd 1.8Ts.

Got to admit, very tempted[:D]

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
With a bit of tweaking on the 1.8T (AUM, AUQ) you can match the power of the R and save that ?7000 difference, or most of it anyway! [;)]

The one downside is, you don't have 4WD on the 1.8T, BUT, you don't have the larger insurance premiums or hijacking problems that come with the R either! [:(]

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've had mine revo'd anyway-AUQ, and the torque and power figures wont be that far off when I get the stage 2 done anyway, I just wondered what the benefits of the extra ?7000 would be

·
Registered
837 Posts
LOL at the Can of Worms pic [:)]

mat20vt and myself had an inpromptu "race" recently. He's got a Revo'd 1.8T with Milltek Cat and exhaust and I have an R32 with a Milltek and front silencer bypass. In short he kept with me. In fact I reckon if he'd been able to get some traction his weight advantage would have meant he may have been able to pull past me.

I know this debate has come up time and time again. Some people see the R32 as a waste of money because you can mod a 1.8Ts suspension, engine, etc and make it quicker than the R32. However, my view was that the R32 was a limited run car and it came from the factory with sorted suspension, drivetrain and engine to start with - no mods required. People may say the R32 is more difficult to insure but if you bother to declare the mods to an insurance company I would say the 1.8T will be either the same or more expensive. Plus, a 1.8T would never be able to the glorious noise the V6 in the R32 produces.

Each to their own though.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Tricky that one as you could do a lot of mods with 7K including a decent suspension setup, LSD and big turbo on the 1.8T and blow away the R. OK so that R would have better traction and could carry a bit more speed round corners (especially in the wet) due to the 4wd, but on a dry day a decent sorted 1.8T will give it a run on the twisties and with a big turbo outgun it out of bends and on the straights.

OK so you can charge an R and you can't add 4WD to the 1.8T but 7K does buy you a lot of mods.

Really depends on what you are looking for. The R does drink the fuel a bit when compared to a 1.8T off boost (i.e. most of the time when cruising on A roads and M'ways). But I suppose if that woried you we'd be talking about the dark side - LOL.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Tricky that one as you could do a lot of mods with 7K including a decent suspension setup, LSD and big turbo on the 1.8T and blow away the R. OK so that R would have better traction and could carry a bit more speed round corners (especially in the wet) due to the 4wd, but on a dry day a decent sorted 1.8T will give it a run on the twisties and with a big turbo outgun it out of bends and on the straights.

OK so you can charge an R and you can't add 4WD to the 1.8T but 7K does buy you a lot of mods.

Really depends on what you are looking for. The R does drink the fuel a bit when compared to a 1.8T off boost (i.e. most of the time when cruising on A roads and M'ways). But I suppose if that woried you we'd be talking about the dark side - LOL.
Further to that though if I didn't do so many miles I'd have an R just for that V6 3.2 sound.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Ahhh... this old tread again[;)]

TBH a revo'ed 1.8T will stay with a R32 np....

But, but, but.... you buy what you like......

I love the on/off power of my 32... no waiting for turbos....

And I love the noise[;)]

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
country lane - R
Don't take that for granted - in the wet yes but in dry conditions it may be a lot closer than you think.

Obviously this is mods and driver dependant - ie LSD and not me driving!!!!

If traction is achievable then there won't be much in it - just because it has 4WD doesnt mean it can defy the laws of physics.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
1.8 turbo good points - save the ?7k to mod it

R32 good points - 4x4 handling, awsome looks and sound, better interior, a more solid engine

only down side to the R32 would be the bloody carjackers

·
Registered
76 Posts
Drive them both in the wet and you will see the advantages of the R32.

I like my cars to be a handful and not easy to drive - a modded 1.8T can be that - whereas it takes a lot of power to make a 4WD car a handful.

There are some 4WD Mk4s out there - they have the S3 floorplan in the back, with some other floor mods. I just need to find that written of S3!

Oh - and the sound of an R32 with no cat and decent exhaust is really nice...

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
I went from a modified Anni 1.8T to an R32, and I've never looked back.

The 4wd, independant rear suspension and quicker steering rack set the
R32 apart from Gti's. The handling really is on another
level, and I'm not just saying that. I've owned my car
since new, and the handling still puts a smile on my face 2 years
on. I don't feel the need to modify the suspension yet -
something which I felt needed doing on the Anniversary..

I recently drove my friends highly modded 1.8T Anni

(Revo 4bar(220bhp+), Samco hoses, R32 brakes, Neuspeed ARB's, KW V2 coil overs, Milltek)

And it although good fun, it lacked that final 20% that would make it feel 'special'

It's quick, but still not as fun as the R32. upto 80 it feels ok,
but into 5th and 6th gear it feels like it's hit a wall (compared to
the R).

The engine note is naughty sounding with the turbo spool - but then a V6 with milltek sounds somehow even better

The handling on the Anni is safe and predictable. ~Fitted with a
Rear ARB the handling is less prone to understeer.. But in the
R32 u can dial out understeer by turning in and planting the throttle
more - U can feel the haldex push the power to the rear, and u can pull
much harder cornering speeds because of it. It's this
sort of thing that seperates 2wd to 4wd.

Yes u can throw ?XXXX of mods on with the money saved - but I still don't think it has the last 20% which the R32 does

Sometimes it isn't about outright speed, but more to do with 'FUN'. And the R32 can dish up FUN in truck loads :)

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Do you get better residuals on an r32 aswell?

I also found the insurance was only gonna be an extra ?75 aswell! ?1275 with no ncb aswell[:D]

·
Registered
34 Posts
actually the R32 and V6 4motion simply use the Haldex system for
4wd. This is a very simple system to install and is not that
expensive - it can work with the existing transmission and can either be mounted at the rear or at the front of the driveshaft.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts