Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

R32 style headlamps, (joey mod) i want black projectors!

Mk4 Golf 
Tags
mk4 golf
3K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  joN_Mega 
#1 ·
All you Joey mod people who have 'anni'd' your OEM headlamps, would it be posible to these?

There on ebay at the moment, and are what i want (projectors without angel eyes) in fact they look like those FK ones i want that are not available anymore! well maybe if the fog and indicator are tinted....? I just want some nice looking non-angel eye black headlamps!!!

See less See more
#5 ·
I've just spent the best part off an afternoon trying to remove a lense of a genuine headlight. All I will say is there is not one bit of chance it is going to happen. The seals are so strong you'd think that they'd been stuck on with some magic glue or something. You would have more chance with non-genuine lights as I no someone who Joey modded his mk4 look mk3 lights.

#6 ·
You have no chance of removing the lenses !!! The only way to do it, is with two sets of lights.

Smash the lenses on one set and paint the inner, then destroy the other lamps to enable you to remove the lens, trust me, I have done it twice now !!!!

I actually used an angle grinder to cut around the lights when I removed the lens !!!

#9 ·
Yea, that would be pretty cool Pat, grey

I think wilkie is right, the glue wont be as good in after market ones, hence easier to do eh? well, maybe. lol

Incidently if anyone is selling a set of the black FK ones in the first post, pm me please.

joN

#12 ·
annoying isn't it? I would love to 'joey' but in a mid grey, to suit the rest of the car but I can't bring myself to try again
I have done my OEM xenons in a Rover Anthracite Grey and they look the dogs !!! Even if I say so myself [:p] Took me ages though and I probably couldn't be bothered again TBH.
I know, you are my inspiration mate [;)]

I tried doing a set back when I had my first mk4 in early 2002 with Jimmy's (Golf V5) help and advice and I still couldn't get the buggers apart [:|] - I have a mint set of spare lights sat here but I can't bring myself to try again even though I'd love a grey set.

#13 ·
i've joey modded a pair of gti lights, its not immposible just very difficult,

I would have thought non oem ones would be much easier to be honest and the paint will stick fine with a bit of keying, as its going to be stuck inside and wont get touched by anything so can't get damaged, except some a little moth found his way into mine and died there!

but don't worry sbout heat from the light it doesn't affect it and don't spray the reflector!

#15 ·
Well, ive found some but i guess they will be LHD ones?

http://www.kitzandmore.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1359

Wasnt there a way of converting headlamps to RHD to LHD?

joN
They may have the internal 'lever' to switch between RHD and LHD - in which case they would probably do the job.

If not have a go at painting up the chrome ones - a bit of time and patience and they would come out looking good (and you could fit the projectors up with a xenon kit)

#17 ·
Bloomin eck, this has been dug up hasnt it, I started this in 2006 lol. to update..lol I bought those headlamps ad have since sold them, I now run with just Black US E-codes. and the projectors looked a little back for my liking (see build thread [:)] )

joN

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.