Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fitted the R32 short shift to my A3 130 TDi 6 speed last weekend and I like the way it has made the throw shorter as required.

However I have noticed it feels alot harder to get into gear and slower, as in I have to wait a split second when coming out of gear before s electing the next.

It feels as though if I tried to do a really quick shift It would start grinding, I havnt tested that theory as I dont really drive like that, but it just feels as though I have to wait whilst changing gears.

Is this just the way it will be as it would usually take longer to change gear given the throw and no as there is not as much throw Im trying to change gear before its allowing me?

Just wondered if others have have experienced the same, is there anything I can adjust to try and mae it slightly smoother?

Thank You

·
Registered
379 Posts
Ooh, I didn't know an R32 shifter fitted a tdi, good idea! Any idea how much % it reduces the throw by? I have been meaning to mod my existing shift mech so that the front to back throw is less, just haven't got around to it yet though.

Are you happy with the way you re-set the positioning of it after you'd fitted it? I think you need to disconnect the cables at the gearbox end, take the gear stick boot off, insert a nail to locate it in place, lock the gearbox in position by pressing some button in the area and then re-attaching the cables.

Sorry the directions are a bit vague, it's been ages since I've done it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Reduces throw by about 20-25%

I think that may be part of the problem I havnt reset the positioning at all, just took one off and put another on.

Is there any guides to setting it up?

·
oooo audi
4,721 Posts
the dieselgeeks guide is on youtube i did mine after fitting my shortshift, btw the R32 item is also the same as the 4motion

so i did this

Posted Image

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thans mate think I get it now seems pretty simple, will lock it all up one night this week and see if re aligning it all helps.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just went out and re aligned the setting follow the dieselgeek video, havnt taken it for a drive yet, but already just moving the gear stick about it feels so much smoother and nice.

Thanks very much

1 - 8 of 8 Posts