Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any thoughts on the prices of secondhand R32s - will they start to drop over the new few months as has been predicted by some folks?

I'm looking to buy one soon and prefer nearly new as someone else takes the initial depreciation hit but if prices are set to stay strong I might as well order a new one. Theres no way I want to pay list price (or more) for a second hand car.

There were supposed to be 400 R32s coming from Germany and arriving anytime soon - does anyone have any more details on this?

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you're after a new R32 then you'll have to be very quick........they're stopping production of the MKIV R32 in something like a couple of weeks (so I've read anyway). The R32 will be the last MKIV Golf to be built.

IMHO, I can't see prices of second-hand R32s dropping that quickly as there isn't going to be anything to replace them in the MKV line-up anytime soon. I would guess it'll be a couple of years before they bring out the MKV R32. All this is speculation though.

Having said all that, there are many people who have ordererd an R32 without test-driving one and found that the car is different to what they expected (it's a very hard ride and the engine note can be noisy - if you're looking for comfort then this isn't the car for you). I had a V6 4motion for over 2 years (it had the sport suspension option but I still found it to have very soggy handling)........I thought that the R32 would be an improvement over the V6, but I didn't really expect it to feel like it does......it's a completely different car and the handling has been transformed. Initially I didn't find the R32 to be so different from the V6 - it has the same drivetrain and basically the same engine after all (albeit with quite a bit of tuning), but the more I learn about the car the more I get amazed by what it can do.........it feels so planted and the handling is so adjustable - you can really get the back end to come around to help you out when you need it. I enjoyed having the Haldex 4wd system in the V6 and the enjoyment is just amplified a few times with the R32 by sharpening up all the responses. I always knew that the V6 4motion could be a great car and VW have proved what's possible by producing the R32. It still has it's faults (what car doesn't), but everytime I go for a drive in the car it puts a smile on my face!!! Oh, and the engine noise is just sublime!!! [:)]

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Richard, thanks for the comments and comparisson with the 4Motion, very useful.

I'm going to pop down to the VW dealer later and see what sort of a deal they can do on a trade-in and get their thoughts on the production lifetime of the R32, the VW web site make no mention of limited numbers of cars being produced or that the car can no longer be ordered.

Looking at AutoTrader prices seem to be holding up for the moment. But the biggest challenge is that I want a 5 Door and they seem to be quite rare.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
R32 prices are artificially high at the moment as everyone selling one seems to think they are rare, exclusive and worth a premium - yet the number on Autotrader proves if you want one you can get one! Far more available than Bora 4Motions I might add, which is what Im trying to find![:(] Its just a load of hype that creates a monopoly.

As time goes by Im sure prices will start to fall, especially when the MKV - no matter what spec- is launched, as this will date the car immensly. But I doubt it will ever be a cheap car, just because of its status as the fastest ever Golf, limited run etc. Think along the lines of Clio Williams 1 I think? Before they started making Williams 2 and 3, annoying owners of Williams 1.

EDIT: Just had a good laugh on Autotrader...63 cars for sale, all claiming they are unique in colour, spec, whatever. One dealer even wants £28,995 for a 5DR!!! This comapres with 9 Bora 4Motions for sale at the moment...ita not a rare car, just a hyped one.

·
Expression Intentionally Blank
1,132 Posts
Totally agree Mikedav. However it's this hype that has created demand. So second owners will have to wait for the bubble to burst and then hopefully If I still have my R32 in 10 years still with 4000 miles It'll be worth a cool "1 Billion Dollars!!!" (little finger pointed at mouth) I can dream can't I!!!!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A trip to the dealer this morning revealed that they are now getting R32s in at the rate of a couple a month and they are not all pre-sold. There was no mention on production stopping and delivery time on a factory ordered car is still 4 months.

I think a lot of this talk of limited production runs (I've heard 400, 500, 700, 1,000, 1,500 and 1,700 all quoted as the UK limit on the R32) and early closure of production is all part of the hype. Mikedav's comments about what people are saying about the car in their AutoTrade adds is spot-on but there are a lot of punters out there who don't do their research and blindly believe the hype which helps keep prices up.

Having said all that I still want one and came very close to doing a deal this morning, the dealer is going to see what he can do and get back to me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I assume you spoke to a general salesman at your dealership because you'll find that if you have a word with the sales manager you'll find that VW are taking no more new orders for the R32 (had that confirmed by the managers at two different dealerships).

You will find plenty of preordered cars out there though the minority will be 5 doors.

I'm picking my 5dr up next week which is the last R32 they are getting and it's the only 5dr they've had. Can't wait [:D]

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by Royster

Totally agree Mikedav. However it's this hype that has created demand. So second owners will have to wait for the bubble to burst
Absolutely. It reminds me of the Simpsons where all the advert billboard characters come to life; 'Just Dont Look' and they lose their powers. Same with demand, because everyones caught up in it, said hype only fuels it!

So Simon, dont buy unless its a good deal, and CERTAINLY dont pay a premium! [;)] Id like one to crash myself so I can build the first Bora R32...

·
Registered
3 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by Mikedav

R32 prices are artificially high at the moment as everyone selling one seems to think they are rare, exclusive and worth a premium - yet the number on Autotrader proves if you want one you can get one! Far more available than Bora 4Motions I might add, which is what Im trying to find![:(] Its just a load of hype that creates a monopoly.

As time goes by Im sure prices will start to fall, especially when the MKV - no matter what spec- is launched, as this will date the car immensly. But I doubt it will ever be a cheap car, just because of its status as the fastest ever Golf, limited run etc. Think along the lines of Clio Williams 1 I think? Before they started making Williams 2 and 3, annoying owners of Williams 1.

EDIT: Just had a good laugh on Autotrader...63 cars for sale, all claiming they are unique in colour, spec, whatever. One dealer even wants £28,995 for a 5DR!!! This comapres with 9 Bora 4Motions for sale at the moment...ita not a rare car, just a hyped one.
Lol at the autotrader comments!!

I think that a lot of speculators have bought them hoping to make a profit, but as you say they're not rare enough for this and as time goes by they will have to drop their prices in order to sell them. Once production ends there could still be quite a few people after them so this could keep prices artificially high initially, but eventually they have to drop and become more realistic.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Another car that seems to be similar- the new Mercedes SL. Loads of 'be the first' type adds and sill pric3es, but have you noticed how they are EVERYWHERE?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can confirm that there are no more orders being taken for R32's.I have spoken to two dealers that have confirmed this. I have been lucky enough to get hold of a Deep Blue 5 door that was a cancelled order. I should get it next week[:D]

·
Registered
8 Posts
The R32 is not a hyped-up car...It just happens to be the best Golf to have been produced, perhaps ever, and certianly the best since the Mk1 GTI.

The reason prices will remain firm is that demand exceeds supply...

WANT is defined economically as the price at which good's and services will trade. I.e. Peoples desires are exchanged for hard cash.

People do not WANT R32's at £ 28 Grand. That is just silly. However at the moment, it would appear that customers do want them at around about £ 22-23 grand.

Demand will be even bigger, if they trade at £21 grand, and even bigger at £19 grand...and so on. The underlying demand exists, and even if, over time prices slip, the reason why they won't slip too much is the fact that demand exceeds supply at prices adjacent to list now. The supply is finite. What will effect prices in the longer term is how good the next generation R32 is. If it's a gem, then Mk4 R32 prices will soften more, if it's a disappointment, or goes too much upmarket, and becomes a bit too expensive, then R32 prices will remain firm for longer, especially for well cared for 'right' spec cars.

The V64M in both Golf and Bora form is not as sought after, because it basically is not as good a car, consequently, residuals do not hold up as well. This model also suffered from having the new price reduced by about £2500 one year into its life. The 2nd hand car mkt in the UK has gone through turmoil in the past 3 years. Past performance is not necessarily a guide to the future...

·
Registered
8 Posts
I see there are a few optomistic souls with R32's to sell on the site's classified section, all priced at over list. I think the 'premium' prices have dried up, but I could be wrong...Good luck...

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Sheppane I totally agree it will always hold its value as a car - as you say its limited and a very good package. But not at £28k and not even at £23k really. I personally think it IS overhyped - its a nice car but not earth shattering and fundamentally, still a Golf. Thus the market for it will always be limited to enthusiasts really - not many people will pay that for a Golf. When its around £15-£18k in 18 months or so itll be a much better buy.

As for the Bora 4Mos, It certainly isnt as 'good' a car but that works to my advantage. My point was that its a normal car in short supply because new, it wasnt a good buy and used there is little demand. This was merely me pointing out the irony in me having trouble finding a normal production run car when there are 63 examples of the 'limited' car on Autotrader [;)]

·
Registered
512 Posts
I have just bought an R32 for list price, plus leather and the one I got was the very last one my dealer is getting, and it was a cancelled order. I dont think the price is to bad - whats the list of a 4motion? 19k? Spec that up with heated leather, xenons (if thats was an option) and all the other stuff the R32 has and OK, whilst there is a difference in the end price - look at the two cars and the development work that has gone into the R32 - I think the list isnt that bad.

OK, I paid 10k over a standard GTI but I had to have a new one, this is going to be my kiddy for the next 3-4 years and I want to know its every mile etc. As has been said, I think this car will appeal to real fans only, and as such will never plumit to the mad used rate of the GTI et al.

VW are taking no more orders for this car, and they will soon sell out. As soon as the dicks selling them for 28k get real. These will go to good homes - most of them anyway so as such will hold thier money and will still be a top car in 4 years.

God Iam babbling - excuse my rant![:D]

·
Registered
176 Posts
Ok, I'm one of these people selling their R32's, but not at £28k. I have priced mine at £23,500 to hopefully get £23k. It does have Alcantera so it cost me £23,500. It is 3-4 months old with less than 3,000 miles. I've priced it cheaply in comparison to others on Autotrader bar the imports and have'nt had that much interest yet except for one offer from a dealer for £22,500 which I turned down.

My point is prices are usually reflected by what others are advertising at, obviously for equivalent age, miles and spec. I always look at what others are selling at and pitch mine in the lower to mid priced bracket of the equivalent vehicle.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts