Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I have been wondering whether to post this topic for fear of igniting a war of words BUT I want to gain the benefit of your experiences (good and/or bad), after all that's what the forum is for[;)]

Will be increasing the power on my R32 in the near future and want to make a more informed assessment; I have already been speaking with both providers but there is nothing better than gaining tacit feedback as to why you (for your own individual reasons) s elected which remap? If you are uncomfortable about posting your reasons/thoughts you could PM me or give me a mobile to call to discuss. Much appreciated.....[^]

Therefore the question is which remap did you choose to increase the power/torque on specifically your R32?....and then why/reasons on the thread[?]

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
I got my car AMD stage 2'd sometime back in December (6months after buying the car)

At the time, AMD was mainly the only choice out there, as APR hadn't anything out then.

I waited quite some time before taking the plunge (yep 6months is a long time for me!), I did quite alot of question asking before making the choice to go for AMD.

I managed to be fortunate enough to get a decent test drive of an AMD2 car, infact we shared driving the car to Wolfsburg and back..

I was so impressed with the transformation of the conversion, that I immediately wanted to get my stock car done asap.

The stock car is so needing that extra 10% more OOOmmmph..

Since getting the conversion, I can honestly say I'm enjoying the car maybe 50% more! The power and exhuast note is just so addictive!

Personally I haven't driven an APR car to compare, so I can't comment.

Power gains seem to be much the same on paper for AMD vs APR..

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great thanks for your comments, this is precisely what I need to help shape my thinking on which one to s elect.

I do agree that the car needs another 10% power hike mainly due to its weight of more than 1400 kilo's, which blunts the pwr/weight equation, clearly seen when you compare it with cars like the RS Focus and Civic Type-R.

Much appreciated[:)]

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
APR does have the following benefits however:

It only takes a few minutes to convert the car, as all they do is upload the new engine map from inside the cabin! No soldering etc.. (although I really do think AMD do it this way too)

APR programme allows several engine maps:

95 Ron

98 Ron

104 Ron (race fuel mode)

Valet mode (restricts engine revs to 4k revs??)

security lock out (engine map is switched off, meaning car won't start at all - hence un-nickable)

These modes are all available to have on your car. You can switch between high power (98ron) and low power (95ron) for example which is a good idea

Valet mode stops unwanted thrashing of your car

Security lockout handy if u wanna prevent your car being hotwired!

Personally I've had APR switchable programmes before (on my previous Gti Turbo) and at first it was good to know you could switch between hi and low power modes..

But in the end, seriously speaking you end up leaving it on HI power cause no one wants to drive stock power when you know you've got an extra 30bhp hidden away...

In my experience it isn't worth paying the extra money for switchable programmes.. you just won't need them.

·
Expression Intentionally Blank
1,132 Posts
I too can't comment on APR as I've not been in a R with this map. I have the AmD 270 which at the time was all that was available.. I am no way disappointed with it..[^]

I do think sometimes it now feels asthmatic but I can't afford the AmD 300 conversion[:I]

I also have the version 4 software uploaded and combined with the then re-applied AmD map has shown me I now have a 7300rpm rev limiter which in second gear gets me nearly 62 mph! (about 61 point something?)

and with VAG-COM measured 0-60 I can get (with a good launch) low 5 seconds!

That's enough "bigging up" AmD. I'd love to have the features of APR especially the security lockout! You pays your money etc!

Ironically when at the AmD RR day Both Tabs and I scored exactly the same power figures as he has APR! I wonder whether AmD did that on purpose or just to annoy? Go figure??!!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote: posted by Gti Fly on 24/07/2004 00:32:52

In my experience it isn't worth paying the extra money for switchable programmes.. you just won't need them.

Thanks for this. I must admit that I could not see why I would want to switch back particularly as I never ever put anything but 98 Ron plus fuel into the car.

The additional options are interesting though[;)]

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote: posted by Royster on 24/07/2004 07:48:41

I too can't comment on APR as I've not been in a R with this map. I have the AmD 270 which at the time was all that was available.. I am no way disappointed with it..[^]

I do think sometimes it now feels asthmatic but I can't afford the AmD 300 conversion[:I]

I also have the version 4 software uploaded and combined with the then re-applied AmD map has shown me I now have a 7300rpm rev limiter which in second gear gets me nearly 62 mph! (about 61 point something?)

and with VAG-COM measured 0-60 I can get (with a good launch) low 5 seconds!

That's enough "bigging up" AmD. I'd love to have the features of APR especially the security lockout! You pays your money etc!

Ironically when at the AmD RR day Both Tabs and I scored exactly the same power figures as he has APR! I wonder whether AmD did that on purpose or just to annoy? Go figure??!!

Great.......as you can see though this is what makes the choice difficult and worthy of constructive debate.

I already have V4 software but am concerned that periodically you have to visit AmD or APR to have your remap re-applied should VW update their software during a routine service or similar.....Is that correct??

The extensive changes for the AmD 300 conversion is a little to far for me as I believe that the OEM components (eg: brakes etc) would need work too. I would simply buy another faster car, better suited to accommodating 300bhp whereas 270 is a mild mod....just my opinion.

Ta[;)]

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Are the AMD boys still having the problem with the traction control lights and ESP lights comming on...

I am in the same position as you doc.

I already have my miltek fitted and want a remap asap.

I am a little nervous cause these aftermarket remaps still are not right. American R32's are have real probs with APR software and I know the guys here are having probs with the AMD stuff.

If you take you car to a vw dealer to get the ecu flashed then you loose your code...

Now if you live along way from your tunner you are going to add a load of miles to your car..

I will be watching this thread with interest.

btw - I think you will soon be able to download the apr software at home (correct me if i'm wrong?)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Iv got APR and i like the fact you can switch it! Good for going into the dealers!!

The Valet mode is so wierd! You can feel the car wants to go but is being held back!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote: posted by Martyn on 24/07/2004 09:49:46

Are the AMD boys still having the problem with the traction control lights and ESP lights comming on...

I am in the same position as you doc.

I already have my miltek fitted and want a remap asap.

I am a little nervous cause these aftermarket remaps still are not right. American R32's are have real probs with APR software and I know the guys here are having probs with the AMD stuff.

If you take you car to a vw dealer to get the ecu flashed then you loose your code...

Now if you live along way from your tunner you are going to add a load of miles to your car..

I will be watching this thread with interest.

btw - I think you will soon be able to download the apr software at home (correct me if i'm wrong?)

Interesting comments and exactly why I started the thread. Its important to gain a handle on the issues however minor that the remaps may create.

The redoing of the remap is really not satisfactory following a dealer visit[:(]. I understand from a particular dealer that AMD have completed a considerable number of remaps (like 170 plus), which means there must be many more on this forum who can provide some valuable insight. If you then include the APR numbers then there really is a key bank of experience to tap in too.

If any of you are going to the London meet tomorrow (Sunday 25th) I would be grateful to continue the discussion there too.

I do have a slight preference at the moment but really want to challenge any potential s election and possibly even not have the remap completed if I am not convinced[!]

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Quote: posted by Royster on 24/07/2004 07:48:41

Its funny you should say that as I for one could never see APR software producing more power than the AMD software whilst on AMD's rollers, AMD could just never have it that way.

·
Registered
29 Posts
well, i had my car chipped by apr today. after taking advantage of the trial, i was straight back and signed on the dotted line. say hello to 7000rpms of madness. The power delivery now is fantastic. It pulls all the way from 2k and you get a real surge just after 4k and all they way up to 7k. Best ?400 i have spent in a long time.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I've been lucky enough to have driven both, and I would say the APR has the edge personally...

The AMD car pulled well, but it seemed to lack top end grunt but pulled well low down.

The APR you could say was almost the exact opposite, except it had the low end grunt as well!!

Both fun cars to drive though, so which ever you have, I am very envious!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Quote: posted by Martyn on 24/07/2004 09:49:46

These have been sorted, actually turned out to be a VAG problem, was happening on standard cars. New software from VAG has been incorporated into the AmD remap so is a problem of the past.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I trialled the APR at Inters and was well impressed. It made the driving a lot smoother and the extra power was definitely there. I'm currently waiting for the REVO code to come out for the R32, will trial that then make my mind up which one is best! I really hope it's not long though because I'm getting itchy feet now - I've got used to the power and want more after only 4 months of ownership[:eek:)]

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote: posted by officedog on 24/07/2004 19:31:40

well, i had my car chipped by apr today. after taking advantage of the trial, i was straight back and signed on the dotted line. say hello to 7000rpms of madness. The power delivery now is fantastic. It pulls all the way from 2k and you get a real surge just after 4k and all they way up to 7k. Best ?400 i have spent in a long time.

Assume that was at Castle Coombe. I intended to go but couldn't. Glad you are a happy bunny and thanks for your feedback[^]

Did you chosse any other options/programmes

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote: posted by MikeP on 24/07/2004 19:47:16

I've been lucky enough to have driven both, and I would say the APR has the edge personally...

The AMD car pulled well, but it seemed to lack top end grunt but pulled well low down.

The APR you could say was almost the exact opposite, except it had the low end grunt as well!!

Both fun cars to drive though, so which ever you have, I am very envious!

Maintaining the overall character of the car and enhancing the power somewhat is really my main aim, but difficult choices. I also need to be aware that a mate will take whatever remap I s elect so no pressure then eh?

Thanks for your insights[;)]

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote: posted by Golfgirl on 24/07/2004 21:05:10

I'm currently waiting for the REVO code to come out for the R32, will trial that then make my mind up which one is best[:eek:)]

Sorry for the silly question but what is the REVO code?....is it another remap option and if so by who and where[?]. Would you mind explaining[?]

...and itchy feet already I know the feeling[^]

1 - 20 of 73 Posts