Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Apart from an AMD remap and Miltek, what other options are available, is the APR directport any good, what else could you do with a standard R32??

Bear in mind, I dont have the ?3000 for a turbo conversion [:(]

Looking to increase the bhp 250+??

[8D]

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Apparently VW's updated ECU software can push the car to about 250bhp. And the best bit is, it's FREE to have it applied to your car.

You can have it done at any VW dealer, and it's basically a new remap uploaded via the OBD port.

I haven't driven one with this map, but I can say that the AMD stage 2 makes a world of difference to the car, as many other R32 owners on here will tell u.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
right, I will ask them to do it before I pick it up!

Cheers guys, will do the stage 2 but not straight away!

Will keep you posted!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I tried the apr software at a vw audi track day, and it was ok on the track as the rev limiter was lifted. But to be honest when on the road its not alot different and I cant see that its worth the money. A friend of mine had the AMD re-map and he says its not much different to standard. It just got rid of his flat spots. I have also got a new ecu on my car with the latest software on and that got rid of any flat spots. But now it has flat spots in different areas.

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Quote: posted by STEVEB on 08/02/2005 18:59:54

I tried the apr software at a vw audi track day, and it was ok on the track as the rev limiter was lifted. But to be honest when on the road its not alot different and I cant see that its worth the money. A friend of mine had the AMD re-map and he says its not much different to standard. It just got rid of his flat spots. I have also got a new ecu on my car with the latest software on and that got rid of any flat spots. But now it has flat spots in different areas.

I've found the complete opposite.

I left my R32 standard for the first 6months of it's life.

Then I got to drive my friends R32 (with AMD stage2) from here to Germany and back (during the Uk-mkiv's trip to Wolfsburg 2003).

It was during this road trip that I covered almost 2000 miles behind the wheel of the modified car.

Driving back to back it was so apparent that this car was miles better than mine. Power and torque was much more apparent. Accelaration effortless, compared to the strained and 'asmatic' (sp??) feeling of my standard R32.

within a month of getting back from our road trip, I was onto AMD (along with Royster) sorting out a Group Buy at AMD for their Stage2 conversion!

If I didn't think it made a difference, I would have been bee-itching about it by now!

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Yet another ECU destroyed by APR software!!! APR are making a habit of this.

Every owner of a 32 who I know who has had a trail APR and wanted to return to stock code hasn't been able to do it without a new ecu.....

Makes you think?

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Quote: posted by STEVEB on 08/02/2005 19:13:40

Did you have the latest vw software? That does make the car alot better to drive.

Back in Nov2003 there were NO updates from VW.

Hence that's why I went to AMD (in Dec2003) for their remap and exhaust.

I've never been unhappy with the conversion at all.

And I got 270bhp/270lbs Torque afterwards, compared to 236bhp/230lbs torque before.

I went back to AMD for a second time in the summer last year, to get them to reflash their 2nd variation of their remap.

This this it gave the engine a 7400rpm rev limit, and more yet more lower down torque.

This means that the car is even more flexible around town, and yet I can reach deep into 7000+ rpm when racing other cars if need be.

No more running outta rev's/puff!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a fault on my ecu before the trial, although the problem did become worse after having a trial. Dont know if the two were related.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Quote: posted by klauster on 08/02/2005 18:54:24

right, I will ask them to do it before I pick it up!

Cheers guys, will do the stage 2 but not straight away!

Will keep you posted!

The AmD remap will make a noticeable improvement, if you search in the tuning forum for a title "APR or AmD", you'll find a thread with all the insight you need.

...and its a wise move to enjoy the car first so you can then appreciate the improvements a remap provides.[;)]

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Quote: posted by Martyn on 08/02/2005 19:21:14

Yet another ECU destroyed by APR software!!! APR are making a habit of this.

Every owner of a 32 who I know who has had a trail APR and wanted to return to stock code hasn't been able to do it without a new ecu.....

Makes you think?

Mine was actually ok after the trial, but Rob.gti had his done at the same time and consequently needed a new ECU shortly afterwards.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
cheers folks, will run mine for until summer at stock, or with the VW update, and then get an AMD remap me thinks! Thanks for the advice.... Why is this week taking so long... oh its because I pick it up on Monday!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts