Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are people?s opinions on the R32 compared to the GTI, have a GTI at the moment but have an R32 on order. Think I am having second thoughts?

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
i'd stick with the gti. 1 it looks 100times better and 2 the performance is only 50hp short and can be tuned well to be a match for the r32. 3 the fuel consupmtion for the gti is much better than the fish drinking r32 but then the r32 sounds nicer. all depends what you want from a car really and how it will be used etc

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Report error, Warning queue, 2616 <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p><o:p> </o:p>Kind of what I was thinking. The only thing with my GTI is I missed a few mods from mine when I ordered. Like armrest and I pod (Well in fact the dealer f**** up) but never the less... Between the two spec it?s about 1500 difference (Below Spec), I just think the R32 would hold its money more and is tuneable to???<o:p></o:p><o:p> </o:p>Golf GTI<o:p></o:p>3door<o:p></o:p>DSG gearbox<o:p></o:p>Black<o:p></o:p>18Monza Alloys<o:p></o:p>Xenon headlights<o:p></o:p>Leather Recaro<o:p></o:p>Rear tinted windows<o:p></o:p>RCD 500 with VW sound pack<o:p></o:p>Arm Rest with Ipod<o:p></o:p><o:p> </o:p>?25,500.00<o:p></o:p><o:p> </o:p><o:p> </o:p>Golf R32<o:p></o:p>3door<o:p></o:p>DSG gearbox<o:p></o:p>Deep Blue (pearl)<o:p></o:p>Leather Recaro <o:p></o:p>Rear tinted windows<o:p></o:p>RCD 500 with VW sound pack<o:p></o:p>Arm Rest with Ipod<o:p></o:p><o:p> </o:p>?27,010.00<o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
310 Posts
I would stick with the GTI is easy enough to add the armrest and the ipod kit, the dealer will say it can't be done but you can buy the parts from vagparts and fit them yourself in about an hour or so.

You can tune the R32 but its much cheaper to tune the GTI and it will get bigger gains.

·
Registered
167 Posts
When i bought my gti in march i was offered a R32 but i prefered the styling of the gti as i can't stand that horrible chrome grille at the front.

is it to late to cancel?

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
What are people?s opinions on the R32 compared to the GTI, have a GTI at the moment but have an R32 on order. Think I am having second thoughts?
What are YOUR requirements in a car?

the Gti will be the better car for day to day, I suspect - ie: Cheaper to run, softer riding,

the R32 will be more surefooted, have a better sounding engine, but will cost more to run (compared to the gti).

Both are great cars, and I dont think you'll ever go wrong with either of them.

Having owned a mk4 R32 for 50k miles, I have never regretted the higher running costs. The car always gives off a great feel good factor when it's driven

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p><o:p> </o:p>It?s not too late to cancel, not even put a deposit down yet?. I don?t really do any long runs, its manly running round after work and weekends. <o:p></o:p><o:p> </o:p>So maybe 10k a year. The running cost anit really an issue, I don?t even mind the chrome grille, must admit the GTI does look a little better from the front. <o:p></o:p><o:p> </o:p>Well my requirements, I would have to say surefooted as you put it is high on my list, and I would have to say resale value? along with the normal stuff, looks and so on<o:p></o:p><o:p> </o:p>I have heard a few people say that a GTI would perform the say as a R32 once tuned?<o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
<o:p> </o:p><o:p> </o:p>It?s not too late to cancel, not even put a deposit down yet?. I don?t really do any long runs, its manly running round after work and weekends. <o:p></o:p><o:p> </o:p>So maybe 10k a year. The running cost anit really an issue, I don?t even mind the chrome grille, must admit the GTI does look a little better from the front. <o:p></o:p><o:p> </o:p>Well my requirements, I would have to say surefooted as you put it is high on my list, and I would have to say resale value? along with the normal stuff, looks and so on<o:p></o:p><o:p> </o:p>I have heard a few people say that a GTI would perform the say as a R32 once tuned?<o:p></o:p>
turbo cars will always be easily tuned... a chip, exhaust and filter can make a Gti upto 270bhp. No big deal, the drive train can handle that no problem.

It'll certainly make the Gti a very quick car.

The R32 would be much more surefooted, you'll be able to full throttle exits from T-junctions, rain or shine. Wheel spin just isn't an issue. You just plant your foot and go.

I tell you, once u have driven 4wd, when u get back into a powerful FWD car, you can't help but laugh at how easy it is to wheel spin, and how LONG u have to wait before you can apply full throttle when cornering.

It's these sorts of things that come down to individual driving preferences that cannot be quantified..

everyone looks at the 0-60 times. that's not the be all and end of of driving

·
Registered
90 Posts
If I had the choice I would go for the R32 as has been said before that engine sounds in a different league to the gtis 4 cylinder and you can not beat having 4x4 for everyday use.

If you upgrade the R32 you can get 300hp easily and change the haldex controller for the sport one and it transforms the handling.

I would like to see a gti in the wet do a good 0-60 time.

The GTI is so comon now it has lost some of its apeal to me.My GT 4motion tdi has more pulling power than an R32 at 290 pounds feet and still does over 45mpg on a run ,never looses traction it just goes and stops better with gti Brakes it just sounds like a tractor but i am poor.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hmmmm!!!

I'm having the same debate myself. I've had a MkIV R42 fro just over 2yrs and I'm seriously considering a fully loaded MkV model. Mainly because it supposedly betters the MkIV in all areas, except looks! I think the GTi looks sportier than the MkV R32 whereas the MkIV R32 looked really looked the part. And I never tire of the soundtrack either.

I'm just not sure if I could live with the chrome grille and those really fussy MkV alloys, the GTi Monza II wheels look far easier to live with. I suppose I could change the alloys, but that's just more expense and I haven't a clue what would suit the styling of the car. I'm set on Deep Blue Pearl, but being chronically lazy I'll probably go for Reflex Silver...again :)

I could even be tempted to hang onto it for another year or two go for a 270 horse upgrade and Milltek exhaust. I sussed it out last year but bottled out at the last minute! Granted I would've had to drive 500miles each way to get to AMD Techniks workshop!!!

Anybody out there got a MkV R32 with different wheels &/or body styling?

·
Super Moderator
9,133 Posts
I think it was Golf+ did a reveiw of the both and put them head to head.

I think their final conclusion was that they are both as good as one another. But it you use it mainly for Motorways get an R32, but if you do lots of smaller roads, get the GTI.

I think i would stick to the GTI though as they look nicer.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I would like to see a gti in the wet do a good 0-60 time.
You'd be surprised how much grip it has in the wet for a FWD car, not in 4wd territory but as long as the wheels are straight you can use full throttle in first with no wheelspin, its also very hard to spin up 2nd out of wet corners with the traction control off. Its harder to wheel spin the Golf accidently than my old Polo GTI and it had almost 100bhp less !

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Seems like people love the GTI, Maybe 30th GTI is the answer!! But those wheels!!!, <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

Or maybe just mod my GTI that I have? I don?t think I could bear to spend 25K on a GTI.<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

I don?t think the R32 has the same punch at the GTI, the GTI seems to put you in ya seat more? Very odd!! You would expect the R32 to do that more!!<o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
98 Posts
Made the same mistake myself several years ago,I owned a BMW 330 CI Sport good on fuel and a great allrounder,but fancied the M3 wrong choice dearer on fuel,insurance power you could not use ,and generally not what I wanted on a day to day basic the motoring experience can be to costly sometimes for what the car returns for you........So yes you can always go that one step to high.............The GTI is a good allrounder.........at the end of the day the choice is yours..........

1 - 20 of 33 Posts