Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a little fed up now with the niggly bits on  golf's. My fekkin fans especially, second one now and it is still playing up. I would love an R32 but for the same money i can get the BMW. Yes they will also have their problems, but i have joined a forum for BMW and am going to find out more about them. I would go for the M3, but i need 5dr. What would you buy and why, silly question really on here but i often hear of people buying other cars other than VW, or as well as, or even came here from other cars.

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
BMW would be smoother riding, softer feeling overall, but probably still a very very nice car.

the R32 would be like owning the most special Mk4 Golf, if that makes
sense. The interior/exterior is fully loaded/modded up as
standard, the engine note/power will make u smile everytime u
drive the car.

The downsides? - Ride is tiring if u plan on using the car alot
in town. Fuel consumption varies between 19-24mpg in town,
rising to 28mpg on most fast motorway runs. You might be
worried where u leave the car parked, I know I am!

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BMW would be smoother riding, softer feeling overall, but probably still a very very nice car.

the R32 would be like owning the most special Mk4 Golf, if that makes sense. The interior/exterior is fully loaded/modded up as standard, the engine note/power will make u smile everytime u drive the car.
The downsides? - Ride is tiring if u plan on using the car alot in town. Fuel consumption varies between 19-24mpg in town, rising to 28mpg on most fast motorway runs. You might be worried where u leave the car parked, I know I am!
Yep, i know what you mean, everything you say here is what i think, but it is still a VW with VW problems. My brother bought a M3 2 months ago and it is a very nice car to look at and drive, as with the R32, but as i said, it is still a VW. I really have had enough of things going wrong.

·
Registered
10,630 Posts

the
R32 would be like owning the most special Mk4 Golf, if that makes
sense. The interior/exterior is fully loaded/modded up as
standard, the engine note/power will make u smile everytime u
drive the car.
The downsides? - Ride is tiring if u plan on
using the car alot in town. Fuel consumption varies between
19-24mpg in town, rising to 28mpg on most fast motorway
runs. You might be worried where u leave the car
parked, I know I am!
Yep, i know what you mean, everything you say here is what i think,
but it is still a VW with VW problems. My brother bought a M3 2 months
ago and it is a very nice car to look at and drive, as with the R32,
but as i said, it is still a VW. I really have had enough of things
going wrong.
Im not convinced that BMW's are more realiable, nor am I convinced that their dealer network is 'that' much better!

The grass isn't always greener on the other side! Alot comes down to personal tolerance/acceptance in my opinion.

·
Registered
566 Posts
R32 is the more exclusive of the two if that kind of thing counts for you. I daresay its residuals will also be stronger even though new versions of both these cars are now out. If fuel consumption is important to you, then I would agree with having the earlier suggestion of a 330d. I would have also suggested you looked at the Ci/Cd models to but you have stated you need 4/5 doors.

~ Maxie

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Go for a 330i Sport that 6-cyl is fab, character and grunt. For handling and overall quality the only comparable thing that beats it is an E90[;)]

The world and his dog are buying 330ds at the mo' so the prices are quite high. They can be chipped for more grunt and it's awesome when it's doen but unless you're doing more than 15k a year the money you'd save buying a petrol will offset the diesel saving (found a black 330i Sport the other day '02 51 reg facelift with 47k miles ?12999 an equivalent 330d couldn't be found for less than ?16k).

Have a look on www.bmwland.co.uk, they're a friendly bunch and don't tend to go too extreme.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
The world and his dog are buying 330ds at the mo' so the prices are quite high.
So true, and thus they do not make financial sense. A 330i saloon is
about ?3k less than its diesel counterpart, so you need to spend ?3k on
fuel to break even. The 330i is also pretty good on fuel considering; I
get about 410 miles per ?48 tank on a long run...my old Bora V6 2.8
4Motion returned more like 300 from a ?52 fill up.

I have had zero problems with mine, but the dealers are just as shocking as VW if not worse.

E46 Fanatics is full of 16 year old rich Americans who like carbon
fibre hoods and big spoilers; Money no object, but taste missed the
bus. I tend to avoid...

·
Registered
566 Posts
E46 Fanatics is full of 16 year old rich Americans who like carbon fibre hoods and big spoilers; I tend to avoid...
You'd be surprised Mikedav, the majority of those 16yr old Americans do not own those cars. It is largely done through an LP or HP agreement so they never actually own the car. My cousin in Florida runs both an X-Type Jaguar and a Lexus RX300 - but neither are his! This is the way of life in the US as I understand. Anything under 3 or 4 years old is largely based on finance and the monthly payments are so low that it appears very attractive to the average US buyer. Also bear in mind that US salaries are not that much more than UK ones and in some instances quite a bit a lower.

~ Maxie

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Anything under 3 or 4 years old is largely based
on finance and the monthly payments are so low that it appears very
attractive to the average US buyer.
It's exactly the same here? The vast majority of new cars are on finance - and you do own
the car - you just have a secured loan against it. Having said that,
leasing is very popular in the states and interest rates for car
finance are comically low.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Ok - I didn't know one would have a secured loan against it but then I am wondering what on earth would a teenager secure against it!? But your point about the car finance rates being low was what I was driving at. I am sure if the same offers could be repeated in this country, there would be a larger turnover of new car sales than there currently is. For me though, I always thought that a car states the type of person you are and your social standing etc. However, it seems that anyone in a steady job, regardless of income level, could go down to the showroom and finance an R32 or 325Ci etc and possibly make all the wrong statements to the world. Just my opinion only.

~ Maxie

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
i am wondering what on earth would a teenager secure against it!?
The loan is secured on the car. They lend you cash, but its for the
sole purpose of buying the car, and thus the car is the security. Thats
why car finance is generally easier to get - its a less risky loan as its secured on something. I only
mention it because even on finance, you own the vehicle, its just that
the finance company has rights to it, exactly like a mortgage.

The vast majority of cars are bought this way both here and in the
US...but as you say, IMO its better understood and accepted in the US -
especially when you can get 0.8% financing etc. Here alot of people
don't do the sums, assume all finance is evil, and
that to own something like a Boxster you need ?35,000. Which you
certainly do not! As you say, with their level of finance rates (virtually 0%!) Im sure everyone would do it.

[:)]

To the original poster, you mentioned you need five doors; would a 330i Touring not be more useful than a 330i Saloon?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts