Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well happy new year to me from VW !!!
My R32 has had the emmissions light on so off i toddle to Vw.? After two trips and three hours labour later. . . . . . .? ?"Yes thats right you need a new speedo sir !!!!"
Cant beleive it, two months out of manufactors warranty and its going to cost me ?553 for a new one fitted.? ?Oh well !!!!? Thats me skint and its only the second of January?

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I'd try and get them to pay for the new item or at least show some good will towards the cost of the new one!!! I had some problems with mine about 6 weeks outside warranty, nothing as major granted, but they fixed the problems for free!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Contact Wayside see if their VW equivalent mechanical breakdown cover covers the speedo and take it out...I just extended mine for 3yrs at ?950..or buy a Roadpilot Micro or similar GPS device in the meantime and gain from the information provided as well

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the thing is the speedo actually works. The problem is that its making the emissions light illuminate which in turn causes the car to go into limp home mode.
Sean,? was that because you bought it from that dealer or did you ring vw customer services ??

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I had bought it from that dealer and use them for all of the work that needs doing if i'm in the area.

I work in Cornwall and spend most of my annual leave in Herts, so I chop and change between Helston Garages in Cornwall and Wayside VW in Herts. Both know I am quite happy to go to the other garage with my business and more importantly my money so they do tend to go the little bit further to try an keep me! I always get discounted parts and reduced labour at both! The trick I feel, is to be as friendly and polite as possible with both garages! Don't forget tho, if you don't ask, you don't get!

·
Kjohal
916 Posts
To be honest they should give you some sort of goodwill but if you go to the preston vw on blackpool road I doubt they would give any sort of goodwill, im taking my dads tdi pd130 (53 plate) there over the next couple of days cus the boot handle is bubbling (common fault) im sure they will blame the way we wash it and quote something ridiculous on it. (they did this with my own golf some years back) hope you get something sorted pal!!!

"Thats me skint and its only the second of January"

I know that feeling, car insurance, road tax, MOT and service all this month - ouch!!!!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well i've ordered the speedo and its getting don on the 22nd as it takes so long for the speedo to arrive. ? ?I'm going to ring Vw customer services and see what they say.??
It is the Vw garage on Blackpool road i've been going to and they've always been ok with me. Trouble is i didnt buy the car from them.
Mav,? I've had two seperate people vag the car and neither could rectify the problem so i'm at a loss really.?

·
Super Moderator
50,235 Posts
Is there no chance it's actually the speed sensor that's faulty,I thing W36 EJO is having the same problems at the moment with his R32?

Chris.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The vag software brings up "speed sensor fault" however Vw say the car is recording a bad communictaion between the speedo and the speed sensor.? All the loom has been checked as has the sensor. Therefore it only leaves one thing, The speedo.? ???The mechanic is positive it is this.? ?

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Right. Mine was throwing the exact same fault as far as I'm aware. I have just got it back today.

They replaced the speed sensor, nothing else. This would have normally cost ?170 inclusive of everything, though because they changed the clocks earlier this year (kmh to mph) mine was under warranty so paid nothing.

On mine the speedo was irratic, then stopped and then finally the emissions light came on and I was driving around in limp mode.

Only the speed sensor has been replaced and whatever needed to be, has been reset. Working absolutely fine now. Obviously yours maybe a different fault, but sounds very very familiar.

What plate you on? Mines on an 04, just wondering if its something pretty similar, mines a japanese import, but they are all built the same at the factory.

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Feel sorry for you,

I'd try and get a second opinion before shelling out for a new speedo.

And if it is, then good luck with getting VW customer care to actually care.

VW northampton fitted a alternator on my car in May (one month before the warrenty ran out), 3 months later the alternator packs up again.

Would VW honour it? of course not.

Turns out they fitted the wrong Alternator to my car (70amp instead of a 120amp one).

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thing is the speedo is working fine on the outside, however musnt be communicating with the speed sensor.? ?my car is on a '53' plate and a uk car.? ?Still i'm going to ask for the speedo back and sell it as faulty on ebay. that should still raise 100 i reckon.?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Doubt they'll give you the speedo back as they are all exchange units now, so it'll get sent back to the manufacturer to be reconditioned.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
the thing is the speedo actually works. The problem is that its making the emissions light illuminate which in turn causes the car to go into limp home mode.
Sounds like you have been fed rubbish. Correct me if I am wrong, but the only reason a light would come on is if a sensor failed or picked up something. Its the sensor that goes thru the ECU that reads the fault, and then in turn decides whether to throw up a warning light to make you aware that something has failed or is problematic.

The light coming on doesnt force the car into limp mode. The ECU decides that from its reading, and if it is outside of the set perimeters.

Something is causing that light to come on. It is not at the speedo end where it is deciding to come on, then relay from there back to the ECU that there is a fault...

I'd defo go down the transducer/speed sensor and or loom between that and the speedo route first. May be worth a second opinion elsewhere at another garage?

·
Old School UkMkivs Member
2,166 Posts
bazking69, my thoughts exactly.

I cannot see that the speedo is the problem here.

The ECU is picking up a fault from a sensor and in turn illuminating the emmisions light. Surely a fault in the speedo wouldn't cause such an error at the ECU, especially as the speedo works fine.

Change the speed sensor first if I were you

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
macdaddy, are you getting anything on the computer when the emission light comes on or you turn the engine on? Mine came up with nothing on the computer, but did have the engine light on (different to emissions warning).

The speed sensor itself flickered around, making the car think it was doing 20mph when I was at traffic lights etc as the 'handbrake on' warning would come up and annoy the hell out of me.

Then it completely died and speedo stopped working, as did MPG calculations and odometer. When it died completely the engine light came on.

So it does sound like we have differing problems here. If it was the speed sensor itself, I would expect you to have some of the above issues.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts