Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today me and my friend were fortunate enough to test drive a brand new R32 on our own for 2 hours!

I've been dieing to see what this car is like in the flesh, even more so seeing as I've had my Mk4 R32 since June 2003.

First impressions, the car looks great in the flesh! Press photos don't do the car any justice at all. The car we drove was a 5door reflex silver, so the chrome grille wasn't as prominent. It certainly looked fantastic viewed front on - very aggressive and very move out of my way!
The side profile isn't so good, the wheels look big, but fussy, but atleast the sideskirts are factory colour coded!
Viewed from the rear the car lights immediatly stick out as they are darkened. The exhuast pipes stick out some way from the bodywork, and they do look a tad naff!

Insides the car:
The dashboard clocks lights up with white lettering, and the needles are deep blue - very modern, and very classy!
The whole dash is alot higher than the mk4, and u also get to sit alot lower - or so it seems.
The car's aluminuim dash trim looks nice IMO, but it feels cheap when u touch it! small critism. nothing major.
Steering wheel is nicely sculptered, but maybe not as nice as the old one.
Seats - this car had the optional leather seats - but sadly NOT the Recaro buckets.. these seats are the same ones that are curretnly available in th eGti.

Drive:
Start the car up and it sounds very similar to the mk4 R32, albeit a touch quieter. The exhaust still has the R32 rasp, but just maybe not as raw as before. - Is this car more grown up than before?

DSG - pull away from the dealership, and give it some beans! Great grip and no torque steer - as to be expected. Gearchanges are almost seamless, Amazing stuff. It does feel like playing a computer game, the changes are that fast.
down sides - it seems to change up too early in the rev range. The luanch control is no way as fast or as brutal as I can achieve on my old R32, which is a dissappointment for sure.
Im still undecided if I would opt for DSG or not. I can see the benefits of it - no more jerkiness to driving, it makes everything so silky smooth (again a feeling of being more grown up and less raw...)
But for total driver control, i still reckon manaul is the way.

Steering - lighter than my car, but just as imformative, maybe even more so.
Ride - A BIG IMPROVEMENT over the old R32. the ride while firm, is alot more cushioning. - again the car feels 'more grown up' and less 'Raw'

Handling - coor, does this car like to wiggle it's bum upon demand! this car generates alot of grip, but if need be u can easily make the ass stick right out, and I mean RIGHT out. I was able to slide this car's bum out and catch it there without any drama at all. It really is a big step forwards over the old R32. Now I'm sure some of this is down the the tyres (Michellin PS2) but it has got to be down the the mk5's chassis. This alone is enough to make me wanna swap my car for one! The lasting impression of this test drive will be how easily I could slide this car's bum on damp roundabouts. This car makes u feel like a rally champion or something! Can't believe VW made it so lairy :)

Engine - for a standard car it feels faster than the old R32, but against a remapped one, the engine doesn't have that upper end PUNCH that I have grown used to. No big deal, as I'm sure it won't be long until the likes of Revo/AMD/Milltek will be bringing out upgrades. I guess it was wrong to expect it to feel faster than my car! the gear changes make it faster on the open road though - thats for sure

Brakes - excellent stopping power as to be expected

Talking to the dealer afterwards (and negotiating part exchnages) he was telling us that the R32 will be limited to a run of 1800 cars (for UK).. Personally I cannot see the logic in that, Does anyone know/heard anything about this?? It looks like most VW dealers have already been delivered 1 or 2 cars each, and they have been allocated approx 8 cars each to sell over the next 12months - so I am told.

So to summarise -

good points:
Same engine noise
Brakes
Steering/handling improvement
Slideable tail - almost RWD type tomfoolery -
DSG
much improved ride quality
Xenon lights even brighter than before

Bad points
Car feels alittle too grown up - ie, less 'Raw', less noise. Is it right to call it an 'R'??
looks nice, but it doesn't stand out as much enough from other Golfs
maybe won't be such a rare car as the old one?? - (but I may be wrong)
Cost once it's been specced up ????

I'll post some pics up when I get back to me own pc nextweek :)

Anyone else test driven one?

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Nice review... You have me dying to see the dials. I'd say the only time I will see one is if Martyn buys ones though!! [;)]

·
Registered
277 Posts
Had my dealers black DSG 3 door R32 out by myself for half an hour this morning. I parked my MK GTI right next to it and although I thought my GTI looked more aggressive from the front and better from the side (don't like the R32 wheels), the R32 looked more aggressive from the back. But for me the biggest plus point the R had over my GTI was the engine note, it is fantastic and totally addictive. I should also say that the engine is made for the DSG box, it's an absolute must-have option imo, whereas the GTI is fine with the manual box. So would I swap it for my GTI, well no. Overall, I prefer my GTI and when I get it revo'd next week there will be no contest - just wish it sounded like the R!

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Good review there Jason[Y] It's nice to see a comparison between the Mk 4 and Mk 5.

I saw a Mk 5 R32 at one of my nearby dealers on Thursday. They had a black 3 door at the front of the forecourt. Unfortunately I couldn't stop but it did look better seeing it for real than the photo's! Will have to pop along sometime and have a look over it and see if I can blag a test drive.

Out of interest, what sort of figure would they give you for yours in PX?

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Part ex - they offered 16750 for my friends

sep 53 plate

dbp

3dr

satnav

leahter

cruise

sunroof

Crazy, espeically as the new R32 cost around ?30k with alll the options that we wanted on it... it's not worth another 14k ontop of my car for sure!

·
Registered
418 Posts
when I get it revo'd next week there will be no contest - just wish it sounded like the R!
Sorry to go off topic but have Revo sorted a serial port remap for the GTI???
They've been talking about it for months. Must be nearly ready now. [:^)]
Yeah I think there there with it now think theres a offer in group buys on it with a milltek system.

Great review of the R32 so who's going to be the first to bite the bullet and buy one?

Chris

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Excellent review there Jason. I have to see one in the flesh as I grew
to like the Mk5 and think i will with the R although it's not a first
love thing like with the Mk4 R.

I gotta go into town later, i may stop in the dealers and see if they have one in stock.

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll post pics up on monday night, when I get back to london :)

As for buying one, well the cost to change (after part-ex'ing) my
car would be circa ?13k, which to me is just too much money!

the new R32 is nice, but it's not ?13 nicer than the old one.

But if u are in the market for the ultimate all rounder super hatch,
then I reckon this is quite possibly it! It just
ticks soooo many boxes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Had test drive in R32 today, first and honest impression, the car was grey, 6 speed manual ,sat nav and leather, first the colour, this model does not look good in grey at all (my tdi is grey)the chrome at the front in my opinion should have been of the matt style, rear pipes dont look good at all, they should have been either lupo style or further apart, side skirts look good (i can see these being retro fitted to plenty of mk5s). Interior, leather seats looked fine, ally inserts to dash looked good but the best part was deffo the clocks they looked stunning, everything else much the same as the rest of the range. Drive wise i could only say rather dull the engine sounds good and i would say a must for the dsg box (dont knock it if you aint tried it).I could honestly say spend wisely on a lesser model and speck it up, give me my tdi any a healthy bank balance any day. While i was on test drive 2 people thought my tdi was the r32 one of them being vw's own finance guy.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I'll post pics up on monday night, when I get back to london :)

As for buying one, well the cost to change (after part-ex'ing) my car would be circa ?13k, which to me is just too much money!
the new R32 is nice, but it's not ?13 nicer than the old one.

But if u are in the market for the ultimate all rounder super hatch, then I reckon this is quite possibly it! It just ticks soooo many boxes.
Great review Jason,

It will be great to see those photos

I agree that the new R32 is not ?13,000 nicer than yours.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
the chrome at the front in my opinion should have been of the matt style
Obviously you were not looking very hard as it is not chrome, its a satin finished alloy material, not mirror finished like chrome at all.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts