Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to know any reccomendations for where to buy the R32 Body kit and R32 Exhaust system. Please could you give me experiences with both genuine and non genuine parts for fitment etc.

Is it worth paying the extra money for the genuine kit from vwspeed or awesome gti?

Also, any reccomendations for where to get the R32 exhaust system in the London Area.
Thanks for help

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
To be honest, why bother? It's a 1.6. To carry this out properly you will have to spend thousands.

Anyone looking at it who knows stuff will see the 1.6 interior. If your gonna change all that, your going to need at least a grand JUST for the seats. And after spending thousands, you'll still have a 1.6 engine. All show and no go.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
agreed, just change the wheels and put an induction kit in it.

bung a stereo in for good measure and then start saving up for a GTI!

least then you can take the bits with you and put them on the GTI, you might have a silver 1.6 but you might end up with a Black GTI, do you really wanna spend on getting it re-coloured?

jammy

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
well guys, i would have to disagree.

heres 2 resons why:

Posted Image

Posted Image

personally i think it looks stunning, i dont mean to sound up myself saying my car is lush but thats why i did it just that way because its how i wanted it and i love it [:p]

for me it had to be a 1.6 for insurance purposes. when im 21 im getting a car with a 0-60 of 6.1 or 6.2 and thats when the speed starts [:p] lol

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Same, for Cheaper insurance purposes ive opted for the 1.6

Can you recommend where to get the body kit from?

Also, with the Miltek, Didn't you have to cut away the spare wheel area? Where did you get that done?

Cheers mate for your help!

·
Registered
2,969 Posts

personally i think it looks stunning, i dont mean to sound up myself saying my car is lush but thats why i did it just that way because its how i wanted it and i love it [:p]
Ditto. That car looks wicked. Its not about trying to fool people into thinking you have an R32. Its about improving what you've already got.

Plus bumpers are one of those mods that can be carried over if you choose to upgrade to a different MK4 at a later date.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts

Ditto. That car looks wicked. Its not about trying to fool people into thinking you have an R32. Its about improving what you've already got.

Plus bumpers are one of those mods that can be carried over if you choose to upgrade to a different MK4 at a later date.
exactly, that why i have the 16v badge on the front to show im not trying to be somthing else (even though i guess i am [*-)] ) hmmmmmmmmmmm

and i also agree that all my mods bar none can be used on another mk4 if i were to upgrade.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
But you spent all that money on a 1.6 which you will never get back.

Yer it looks nice, but thats a lot of money, could have paid for your insurance with it.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
But you spent all that money on a 1.6 which you will never get back.

Yer it looks nice, but thats a lot of money, could have paid for your insurance with it.
i will get most of it back if i put it back to standard and sell the bits.

·
Registered
359 Posts
i could never afford the insurance for anything more than a 1.6 til i was 21 - hence now im 21 im selling the bolf - its not about wasting money on a 1.6 - its about doing the best we can with what we can afford - u could argue after spending all this money that we could have bought a gti and managed the insurance but i never meant to spend the money i have it just sort of happened and to be honest i love what i have i dont care that its only 100bhp - its my car thats been made to look how i want it - surely a bit of support for us 1.6 owners wouldnt go amiss??

u might have a td150, or a V5, or a 4motion but each to their own - i couldnt afford any of those before now - this forum is supposed to be for help and advice which is what this post seems to originally been about - so if you have a golf or bora with a bigger engine please dont slate us 1.4 or 1.6 owners cos we dont have "as good a car as you" cos thats what you really mean! [:mad:]

·
Retired
1,224 Posts
I have to agree, Andy's car looks the dogs [Y][:D]

Who cares if you don't get money back on it, at the end of the day, if you get enjoyment out of the way your car looks then it's worth it.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I agree about you'll be all show and no go but also that keeping the 1.6 is a cheaper insurance option.

I have a 1.6 and keep thinking about modding to look nicer or selling and buying bigger but I know I can't afford the extra fuel consumption let alone the insurance.

That black Golf looks the mutz nutz!

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
did you tell your insurance about all the mods tho?

i mean, you've made it much more desirable!

when the weather improves and i wash my car, i'll copy andy's pics, (got EXACTLY the same front end!) same car, different engine...

hehehehhe

jammy

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
i could never afford the insurance for anything more than a 1.6 til i was 21 - hence now im 21 im selling the bolf - its not about wasting money on a 1.6 - its about doing the best we can with what we can afford - u could argue after spending all this money that we could have bought a gti and managed the insurance but i never meant to spend the money i have it just sort of happened and to be honest i love what i have i dont care that its only 100bhp - its my car thats been made to look how i want it - surely a bit of support for us 1.6 owners wouldnt go amiss??

u might have a td150, or a V5, or a 4motion but each to their own - i couldnt afford any of those before now - this forum is supposed to be for help and advice which is what this post seems to originally been about - so if you have a golf or bora with a bigger engine please dont slate us 1.4 or 1.6 owners cos we dont have "as good a car as you" cos thats what you really mean! [:mad:]
No one is saying, and definately not me you have a 1.6 so your 'below me'. Where on earth did that come from!?

I drive a Mk3 diesel by the way....110bhp to save any confusion. The V5 in my sig is for sale.

What I'm trying to get across is:

You have a 1.6. You say this is for insurance purposes. You then want a grand worth of bodykit to put on it. You realise that your going to have to tell your insurers which will put your price up. You want the dual exhaust, massive amoutn of work, looking 300 quid easy, plus it will put your insurance up.

If you don't tell your insurers your wasting your money having any. You simply will not be covered if you dont tell them, if you have a crash, they will inspect your car, see the mods, say no to paying out.

So, just with the bodykit and exhaust your talking £1300-£1500. PLUS your higher insurance premium for modded cars which some insurers simply wont insure.

You could have gone and bought a higher performance car and had something worth more with a bigger engine?

This forum is about helping people yes, and this is a valid point. I'm not saying 'don't do it, its a 1.6 which is crap'. Do what you like, just think about it in financial terms and see what makes sense. You going to be doing R32 wheels aswell? Another 800 - 1k with the tyres, again tyres cost you more and take more fuel.

If you put all this money into a savings account instead of spending it on these bits, you'll have a better car, quicker.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Does my head in when people are like its a 1.6 or its this so why bother. Who says everything is about speed? The original poster wants his car to look good not necessarily faster. If he likes the r32 look why shouldn't he go for it and get the bumpers etc. Is the mentality you basically need a big engine or a fast car to be worthy of making mods? No one said the guy was trying to fool anyone, he was simply wanting to improve the image of his own car.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
all depends how long you would like to keep the car. i have a 1.6, had it for 6months now. its a good car, very good for y age etc.

i havant spent anything on the car because i would like a diesel soon. so i have been saving my money up and then i can get a tdi and enjoy it and mod that. so if you want a gti or so or whichever car you like then i would personally save the money. but by all means if you like your 1.6, don't mind spending out the cost for the R32 look then go for it. end of the day its your car. enjoy it and do what you want to it. good luck with whatever your choice is with regards to this post

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
thanks to everyone supporting my point and for the nice comments [:)]

as said, its not all about power, when your under 21 its impossible to realistically have anything over a 1.6 size engine. mainly because of insurance, and yes all my mods are declarded or there is no point of insurnace as mentioned above also.

so do what you can with it whatever engine etc.

eg some of the tdis are about the same speed and things as a 1.6 (i think [*-)], but no one seems to see a problem in modding them

and yes when i see some cars like 1 litre puntos and corsas maxed up and looking ridicuolous (in my eyes) then i also think, well fair enough if they like it, each to thier own.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
thanks to everyone supporting my point and for the nice comments [:)]

as said, its not all about power, when your under 21 its impossible to realistically have anything over a 1.6 size engine. mainly because of insurance, and yes all my mods are declarded or there is no point of insurnace as mentioned above also.

so do what you can with it whatever engine etc.

eg some of the tdis are about the same speed and things as a 1.6 (i think [*-)], but no one seems to see a problem in modding them

and yes when i see some cars like 1 litre puntos and corsas maxed up and looking ridicuolous (in my eyes) then i also think, well fair enough if they like it, each to thier own.
exactly skierandy, the tdi i shall be getting is a 115. bit quicker than the 1.6 but again like you said, its not about speed. YOU ARE ONLY ALLOWED TO GO 70! all cars these days can go 70. maybe contradicting myself i shall re-mapp the diesel but thats becasue i would like some fun now and again.

btw i also like you respect people who have smaller engine cars like me and u for example. but i can't agree with you thou about the maxed corsa's etc...

and also your car looks amazing. some very nice work there.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
If you have a 1.6, you will probably feel that you have to get it colour coded. So why spend money on colour coding when you can save up a bit and get the R32 bumpers and make it look that much better.

Obviously, don't but a R32 badge on it, or a stupidly loud exhaust. So the 1.6 is exactly fast compared to other golfs, but it is certainly respectable. to have a golf at such a young age is great. Having the R32 look is even better! [:D]

1 - 20 of 48 Posts