Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I agree it will grow on us when we see it (and drive it [6]) but can I just ask a question:

When we start to see them in members rides, will we be saying to our fellow forum members "very nice, stunning mate, enjoy it, bla bla bla", or will be echoing current opinion of "actually your grill is turd mate, and I bet your wheels are hard to clean, and dont get me started on your gay clio exhausts."

I know we are all gents, and opinions may change, but its just a thought........i think this should be sticky in the gallery for a laugh, then we can rumble people as they kiss ass!

·
Registered
136 Posts
For me, it's a nice looking car, it's just them dam wheels. I don't think the performance over the GTi is big enough to watrrent someone changing their GTi to a r32.  your really only going to notice when your caining it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
No ones questioned the ability of the is car  - in fact every review I've read so far (that's five) have all given it a VERY big thumbs up. November's Car magazine rates it above the BMW 130i & new Scooby. The styling is something I think you'll either love or hate... the grille looks odd on some colours and great on others... in silver it blends in well and actually looks great - so that's the colour I'd  have. The exhausts? They are different - but I like them - albeit I'd upgrade the exhaust to a Milltek anyway. The interior is fantastic and wheels - I really like them - although I do not think I'd like to clean them! It's much the same for the Gti - some don't like the styling (I do) the wheels to me are horrible on it and performance wise I personally found it nothing special at all... it's all a matter of personal opion really. One thing I think almost everyone will agree on is that the new R32 is a very good car - faster and better handling than the Gti (and so it should be for the price!). Only the styling will sway a potential buyer one way or the other... with the light weight Gti with more bhp coming and no doubt an R36 near the end of the MV's production run, this new R32 could end-up being another V6 4motion... great car, but lacking that something special? One thing I do know - don't judge any car until a) you've seen it and b) driven it! I'm 90% sold on buying an R32 next month - just need to complete a and b to be sure! The new S3 is around the corner too - so any R32 buyer may want to hang back a couple of months to see that - 2 litre twin charger engine, 4WD, 250 to 270 bhp and 300 plus with a remap! Fondle the badge!

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I didnt like the mk4, i bought one. Then said the mk5 was a load of rubbish[:$] ive bought two of them[:D] Love it..

Think the R32 is a total waste... Im sure ill change my mind when i see it out and about. Wonder if ill get one of them????

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mark - I'm not slagging it totally. I agree that in Silver it looks better, and as I have said before, with different wheels (CH/RS6) it could look mint. I have also read that the R32 is a superior drivers car. Thats the reason I said opinions would change after a drive. I am just interested to see who would say to someone, after they've just spent ?27k, that they dont like their car even if they think it. Truth be told, I dont like GTI wheels. I'm still buying one and I'm gonna put CH on - go figure [:)]

·
Registered
730 Posts
When the MkV appears in members rides i'll be saying "YOU PAID HOW MUCH FOR A GOLF?"

Come on, ?25k* for a vw hatchback....where will it end.

* or is it ?23k?

·
Registered
207 Posts
?30,000 if you add leather, recaros, sat nav, dsg...  the Gti will cost you ?26k for the same spec... it's a lot of money

·
Registered
10 Posts
Spare a thought for us in Ireland, I checked up a basic spec gti, 3dr
manual nothing else,not even metalic, works out when you convert it to
GBP 24000, and a fully loaded GTI GBP 35,000. the r32 will be a joke![:^)]

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Golf R32 V6 4MOTION 3 door manual gearbox - ?23,745

Golf R32 V6 4MOTION 3 door DSG - ?25,075

Golf R32 V6 4MOTION 5 door manual gearbox - ?24,245

Golf R32 V6 4MOTION 5 door DSG - ?25,575

Plus toys - circa ?27 I'd imagine

In all fairness I will be glad for some buyers and say nice car mate.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Spare a thought for us in Ireland, I checked up a basic spec gti, 3dr manual nothing else,not even metalic, works out when you convert it to GBP 24000, and a fully loaded GTI GBP 35,000. the r32 will be a joke![:^)]
Jeez - thats worse than Cyprus. I take it its the 2.0litre law thing. If it was a 1.6 is it reasonable? Thats the deal in CY. They offered a bottom spec GTI (but in EU, MFSW + armrest is stnd), ?21 CYP which is about ?25 UK. Still bad but you have my sympathy m8.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i wish, there is no 2.0L thing in the price (unless import)you pay for
that with road tax over here. anything over 1.9 the road tax goes
crazy, plus insurance is mad but that seems to be a bit of general
thing in most countries these days, for the gti insurance will be
roughly 2-3 depending on experience and age obviously,im 22 with a full
licence for nearly 2 years. i dont think our wages are any better then
yous guys either!this country is just mad expensive.and if i import
from anywhere else the the vrt(vehicle registration tax ) is
30%,probably the biggest rip off of the lot!so we pay tax to both
countries when buying an import!im sure theres some country that has it
worse, at least thats what i choose to believe!![:#]

·
Registered
566 Posts
"im sure theres some country that has it worse, at least thats what i choose to believe!!"

Yep - in Bangladesh its 100%! Hugley discounted from the 300% it was about 10 years ago!!

~ Maxie

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Just noticed from the VW Vortex review that the R36 (300bh) is coming. But only to America. Weird?

That's in 2k7, and they're without until then, and we get the R32 247.

Hmmm.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I read that too. I think they will get a saloon version though (like the GLI instead of GTI). Can you imagine a 3.6 in a hatchback? It would be a great drive, although most probably the last.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
No doubt it'll be a stonking drive...... but things are massively different with the MK5.

Why?

Becuase the MK5 already has a stonking performer in the GTI...... the
MK4 never did have.... thats what made the outgoing R32 so special, it
just handled sooooo much better than anything in the range.

I've always maintained that the outgoing R32 price was about as much as
i'd ever ever consider spending on a Volkswagen. ?23k is an awful lot.
For the price rise this time round, along with the VERY questionable
styling...... i'd take the considerably cheaper, better looking, more
racey GTI thanks.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Chris - on that point (a good one) - 23k gets you a decent GTI.
As a bottom end R32 (although there's extra's to the "standard spec")
you're right, it's a still a fair amount of wonga!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts