Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thrashed one in my dads diesel Merc ! hehehe

I myself am a Golf owner and always thought the R32 was a little overrated for it's power (power alone, not as an overrall car, cos it is quite stuppendous)...and since my dad has had his Merc, i always wondered how it would do against the R....and sadly the R never stood a chance. The merc has been re-mapped and has arounnd 460 Ib's ft of Torque along with 260 bhp- but i think even in standard mode it would have took the R32.

And before anyone says the guy wasn't trying.... when i stopped accelerating he bombed past me, at a g-estimate 130mph.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
on the merc -3rd in semi-auto mode rockets the car to 120mph ! hehehe

but i was expecting a better run from the R.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
The merc has been re-mapped and has
arounnd 460 Ib's ft of Torque along with 260 bhp- but i think even
in standard mode it would have took the R32.
And considering the you have the power output facts at hand... you are suprised, why?

·
Registered
690 Posts
Hmmm, from a standstill, considering the 4WD system of the R32 and the lesser weight, it should have been much closer than you describe it.

Was it a rolling start?

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I thrashed one in my dads diesel Merc ! hehehe

I myself am a Golf owner and always thought the R32 was a little overrated for it's power (power alone, not as an overrall car, cos it is quite stuppendous)...and since my dad has had his Merc, i always wondered how it would do against the R....and sadly the R never stood a chance. The merc has been re-mapped and has arounnd 460 Ib's ft of Torque along with 260 bhp- but i think even in standard mode it would have took the R32.

And before anyone says the guy wasn't trying.... when i stopped accelerating he bombed past me, at a g-estimate 130mph.
Thanks for that, I'm sure the R32 ain't the be all and end all, but like you said it is still a 'Stupendous' car. Hey, you can't win em all, get it on the track with twisties thrown in and I'm sure you'll come second !!!

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
like you said you thrashed him , was it a straight line you raced , the roads are not race tracks , like to see you up agaist one on the circuit and see who does best

imo

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
? WHAT MERC IS IT ,

Just coz its been remaped dont mean it will win

ok maybe in a straight line

As an ex - merc owner i think they handle like a Bus when cornering at speed

R32 digs in and wont let go

imo

·
Registered
837 Posts
The R32 isn't bonkersly fast. What people tend to forget, however, is that ias a complete solution, it just about hits the nail on the head. IMHO, it has just about the right power/handling balance for the type of car that it is - especially with the 6463 update. Maybe 20-30 more horses for perfection but that's about it. It still amazes me as to how long it hangs on around roundabouts.

My dad's had a couple of Mercs and they handled like boats. Loads of bodyroll and no feel whatsoever. He now has an S-Type Jaguar Diesel with sports suspension and it's one of the nicest cars I've ever driven. Perfect handling/ride balance. Soo much feel. Anyway, that's a bit off topic so I'll shut up.

·
Registered
924 Posts
i think they handle like a Bus when cornering at speed!!

agreed my dad use to have a merc a c43 AMG although it was fast, the handling was rubbish! i bet if the R32 was re-map it would be a close call! i remember when a mate had his done at AMD the thing was stupidly quick....but did have his cams changed also.lol

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Considering the merc has only about 20hp more than the R32 - weights around 400kg more.... the R32 would have a better weight/power ratio, no ? even enough to make up the huge amounts of torque on the merc.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thats what i thought too dude, but it wasn't to be. The merc hits 60, from standstill at around 5.9 seconds...about the same as the R i think.

It wasn't a standing start, more of a 25-30+

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
True, but non of these cars were made for a track....and who ever decided to spend 25k and 45k respectivly on these motors must be a nutt to take them on the race track.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's a year old E320 CDi Avantegarde <sp?> which has the sports setup to the suspension and chasis. but for such a big car, it's well behaved and really well balanced around corners.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Thats what i thought too dude, but it wasn't to be. The merc hits 60, from standstill at around 5.9 seconds...about the same as the R i think.

It wasn't a standing start, more of a 25-30+
R32 0-60 is about 6.5 IIRC

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Considering the merc has only about 20hp more than the R32 - weights around 400kg more.... the R32 would have a better weight/power ratio, no ? even enough to make up the huge amounts of torque on the merc.
The 400kg extra weight is not really a factor....

if the torque figure is so high in the Merc..... then the extra weight could more than easily be handled by the very high torque figure.

Plus all that power through the rear wheels is always going to be more efficient than 4 wheel drive in dry weather.

I'm sure a standing start in wet weather would be a diferent race completley.

I agee that Diesel cars are very underestimated and can take on a lot of petrol performance cars.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Aye the 320's are very fast.

My dad replaced his aging W124 estate with a saloon E320 CDI
Avantegarde 6 weeks ago, and he's thinking about getting it chipped
soon.

A Brabus D6 conversion will up the power from 202bhp (369lb/ft torque) to 250bhp (413lb/ft torque) which costs about ?800 ish.

The poor R32 didn't really stand a chance, thats a rediculous amount of torque even in stock form!

Where was yours tuned?

Oh and on a side note I wish the Golf had an option for a panoramic
roof
Posted Image

·
Registered
164 Posts
Which looks better? The R32 of course. I'll wait until I'm retired before I head down the route of an E class merc! They only really look good with a Bald person in the front seat.......I wonder do they drone badly like the R...?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts