Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I've recently joined this forum and I'm about to ask the question that has been posed loads of times already I suspect. How good is the R32? I'm just after an honest assessment of what it's like to live with day to day, it's BAD points because I know it's got plenty of good ones! It's just that I hear so many conflicting stories, and before I pay out what I consider a lot of money, I'd like some good advice. Also what colour is not only the best, but most desirable? I have a '99 satin silver GTI at the mo, so love the silver but starting to think about the deep pearl blue. Suggestions please![:D]

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Doh, I typed loads and the forum Timed Out when I pressed Submit and it never got posted[B)] So here we go again.....

It really is a great car. You get performance, practicality and style in one package. Economy is around 26mpg so it's not that bad really.

As for colours, well I'm biased but think that Deep Blue Pearl is the one to go for as it is unique to the R32. It is one of the common colours however, along with black and silver. The rare colours are Tornado Red, Anthracite Grey, Moonlight Blue and Indigo Blue. Out of the rarer colours I've only ever seen the red ones on the road.

Bad points.... A fair few squeaks and rattles, in particular cup holders, seatbelt clips and front seats. As the ride is quite firm (but not harsh) these annoying noises appear on almost every journey. Other bad points include the hesitation and flat spot issue although these can be rectified by VW via a disk downloaded onto the ECU. The leather (or lack of it!) is also a highly discussed issue with people complaining about saggy bum marks and worn bolsters on the drivers seat. The leather on my gearstick and handbrake is also starting to wear.

It's a tuneable car and by doing so you will create a much smoother and more responsive ride. There are several options available if you decide to go down this road.

It's definitely a noticeable car. The amount of people that look when I'm driving through town is phenomenal - not just because it looks damn sexy but it sounds great too.

·
Registered
666 Posts
All colours look good I reckon although mine's currently n ot looking it's best with a crunched rear wing [:(!][:(]

Black is subtle and mean, blue is sporty and noticeable, not mad keen on silver (looks a bit plasticky) but still good, and I'm not a fan aof any red car, even Ferraris. Not seen the other two rare colours yet.

For me, it's THE perfect car. Quick, makes a lovely sound, has a six speed box, loaded with luxuries, decent boot, grips like mad, super safe (my crash underlined how solid they are) and get plenty of looks.

GO FOR IT! [:D]

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
BLACK is the colour for me, tuff as fooook looking.

I would have had one instead of the PD150, but doing 500+ miles a week I'd have just had to have my wages paid to the local BP garage.

Seen quite a few on the m'ways, infact I was behind a Silver one in brum center last night. Got a black one living in my local town & I've only ever seen on red one. Blues ones are the most popular

·
Registered
336 Posts
Quote: posted by golfv64mo on 13/10/2004 23:31:35

I thought the R32 only came in Deep Blue, Indigo Blue, Reflex Silver and Black Magic? I've never seen Red or Grey R32s, ever. I'd love a Anthracite Grey R32!

Red....here you go

Posted Image

Now we're talking[^]

·
Registered
21 Posts
Quote: posted by Otto on 14/10/2004 19:59:31

Oh the Red is lovely! But I noticed the blues holding better in resale.

I would think all popular colours (black, silver, blue) would hold their money well. Mine was black and I could have sold my car six times over !

sTTu

·
Registered
129 Posts
I love Black... Oh look I have one in Black (FORSALE).

I would say that it can get abit cramped in the back if your tall like me! Mind you iam always in the front. I find that the suspension is fine, more so if your used to a lowered car. You can potter around in her ( 7 Days on 20quids worth of Petrol) and then when you feel the need hit the loud pedal.

I really don't have any bad points about the car!! Really is a fun and easy car to drive and to find the limits!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts