Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

I know this is a stupid question but its one I don't know. Can someone catagorise the following and explain where the R32 falls into all of this. I have a MK4 GTI 1.8T 20V 150bhp where does this fit in on the scale.

·
Registered
813 Posts
The thing is you have asked quite an open question.

The answer: The R32 is a totally different car altogether. Its almost double of what ures and mine is. If you ever get a ride in one you will see what I mean.

Take a fastish car like a 1.8T GTI 150 multiply by about 2. Thats what you get. Double the power, double the handling. Would others agree or disagree?

I hope the post wasnt a late April Fools.....

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
here's some info on the spec:

I think the following are as standard:

A/C

Xenons

6 cd autochanger

heated seats

4 wheel drive

dont think leather is standard, you can get cloth too!

some of us got sunroof's and sat nav as well [:eek:)]

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
The R32 certainly is faster than the 1.8T but its not double. It doesn't have twice the power and it weighs a lot more due to a heavier engine and a 4wd drivetrain. It drives and handles better than a 1.8T and the performance is good but not amazing.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Im biased but i would have to agree! I would say the R is twice the V64mo that i used to have! It really is something rather special! By the way, thats the cars as standard, obviously once you start specnding money uprating brakes, suspension and engine mods this is no longer the case!

·
Registered
147 Posts
im forever facing such dilemas, i saw the video sum1 posted on the r32 0-60, it was nuts! but i aint got 20k, i want chip my 1.8T but am worried about traction as i have no traction control!!! Im far too used to the 150 bhp now!

I was even considering an Audi S3, the insurance is the same for me!

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Quote: posted by Richy_50pence on 20/04/2005 13:12:56

im forever facing such dilemas, i saw the video sum1 posted on the r32 0-60, it was nuts! but i aint got 20k, i want chip my 1.8T but am worried about traction as i have no traction control!!! Im far too used to the 150 bhp now!

I was even considering an Audi S3, the insurance is the same for me!

Don't bother with an S3 mate, still very overpriced for the age/mileage.

Chip your GTI, upgrade to TT/S3/Cupra 312mm brakes, and get a suspension upgrade and you'll be flying [:D]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts