Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Anyone know if the front brake discs would fit onto the rear of the vehicle?

I wanted to change the rear for bigger ones like the fronts.

Anyone done this? and know what is involved please

Can i just change the discs? would it require anything else

Any help much appreciated

Hafizur

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Would it make that much difference though? Most of the braking is done by the front (unless you're driving backwards [:S]) hence the brake bias is always bigger at the front. If you really need more stopping power then upgrade the front.

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi

upgrading the front is what i plan to do

but then i want to use the left over discs from the front and upgrade the rear as well

the more braking the better i think, even if its just a foot less stopping distance

hafizru

·
Registered
377 Posts
ps Size isn't always everything!!!  Have you considered using better quality pads instead?  I found the Ferrodo DS2500's to be amazing, even when cold they were better than 'warmed-up' standards!

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hi

already have better pads, EBC RedStuff front and rear, and i have seen better braking with them.

I was thinking along the lines of RS6 discs and calipers for the front and move the existing fronts to the back. They look awesome on the RS6's, very big.

Hafizur

·
Registered
680 Posts
you serious?

I have RS6 brakes to go on my S8... and they will require BIG wheels to clear them.

ECS do rear upgrades.

not aware of anything like you describe wanting

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
hi

already have better pads, EBC RedStuff front and rear, and i have seen better braking with them.

I was thinking along the lines of RS6 discs and calipers for the front and move the existing fronts to the back. They look awesome on the RS6's, very big.

Hafizur
Yeah the red stuff are much better than OEM and half the price - as for the rear - i wouldn't bother. If anything go for Porsche front brake kit at front - cheaper to replace discs and pads that OEM and Brembo.....as for rear, leave alone. oh if you porsche the front get the calipers powder coated Blue!!!

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I'm pretty sure the fronts wouldn't fit on the rear anyway, not without very serious modifications, as far as i'm aware everything is different, someone might correct me but I don't think they will.

·
Registered
283 Posts
How do you plan to make the handbrake work? You'd need to find an existing rear caliper that would somehow fit the discs as you'd need the lever to connect the cable's to.

I can't see how this would have any positive effects? You'd have bigger discs which increase unsprung weight, not to mention the increased tendency to lock the rear wheels if not set up properly and I would be amazed if it helped improve braking in any way.

Under severe braking the rears do very little as the bias valve try's to stop the rears locking as the weight tranfers to the front. If you have ABD too it might need very careful setting up too.

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well, dont know much about braking apart from the bigger the better it looks, so if i cant fit the fronts to the rear, just going to have to upgrade the fronts on their own or get a set that has fronts and backs for the r32, also looking into 19 inch alloys to go with them, so should be able to fit something bigger. i know the rs6 has 19inch wheels, so i cant fit them?

i want the bigger brakes, cause i am seriously considering forced induction to take the car to around 450 horses, i want the smaller issues sorted before i get to the forced induction. i know its going to be expensive, but for the kind of performance i should get out of it will make it worth the money.

hafizur

·
Registered
43 Posts
i have the tarox 12 pot brakes at the front (350mm discs) and i have also upgraded to the tarox 300 mm brakes on the rear the set up is totally amazing....there are other options such as the brembo GT or the ECS stage 5 set up. really depends how much you are prepared to pay...also if your looking to put other alloys on, you may need to consider that first as for the ECS and the brembo's you will find it hard to find alloys to clear the brakes without having to add spacers. That is why i went for the tarox set up...but they are very expensive...they do a very good 6 pot set up which is a very good price and fits over most alloys without having to add spacers. hope that helps...

·
Registered
214 Posts
As above, RS6 discs wont fit as they're 5x112 and the R32 is 5x100mm. Go for a Porsche / Mov'it / Brembo set-up, you'll wonder how you managed without them!! Downside is clearance issues on some wheels due to the size of the caliper and its offset. Rear you can go for the ECS 308mm kit or the Tarox 300mm, you will have to machine the rear arms / hub slightly to allow for clearance.

·
Registered
43 Posts
you will only have to machine the rear arms / hub on the ECS rear discs Not on the Tarox discs they fit perfectly..........

1 - 18 of 18 Posts