Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody changed them? If so after how many miles? And what did it cost you?

When my car was serviced I apparently had 3,000 miles left in them and was told that it would cost ?240 fitted - does that sound about right?

Got a quote from a different dealer today - ?122 plus VAT for just the parts, no labour.

Just wondered what everyone else has paid and if you've gone for the OEM ones or aftermarket?

The 3,000 miles that VW said I have left in them is nearly up and although I've not checked the wear on them I'm off to Donnington next month so want to get the new ones on in the next couple of weeks ideally.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Come on guys, surely some of you have had your pads changed?

I've just had another quote from my local dealer - ?143.82 for the parts and ?58 plus VAT on top of that if I want them fitted.[B)]

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote: posted by dubzter on 02/02/2005 15:50:05

incidentally how many miles have you done golfgirl?

The car has done nearly 23k, I've done 13k of them!

TBH I've not inspected the pads and I've taken VW's word for it that they needed changing but with the forthcoming track days I think it's probably wise to change them now.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I checked Claire's front pads on Saturday and was very suprised to see pads that were at most 1/3 rd worn, naughty naughty VW main dealers.. tut tut.

If they are the original pads which I suspect they are, I can see no reason why they won't do at least another 10k.

Not to mention having to bash the wheels off as they were corroded to the hubs.....

·
Registered
836 Posts
Hey up Gary what you doing over here, planning on upgrading? [;)]

Are there Pagid Fast Roads available for the R yet? If so German and Swedish will be about 60 quid for pads I suspect... they list Textar pads for 45 +VAT .. fitting takes me no longer than an hour, 240 quid sounds ALOT!

Scott

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good job I got the pads double checked before actually buying anymore then isn't it?! The same dealer has tried to rip me off before by telling me stuff needs doing when it doesn't[V]

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've nearly done 28k miles in mine now, and the little light hasnt come on yet! Can anyone enlighten me how i can check the pads/discs manually for wear??

Beginning to think i drive like a bit of a girl...im still on my original Pilot Sports too! Tho i need to get them done soon..!

·
Registered
836 Posts
Quote: posted by GVK on 15/02/2005 12:27:42

Hi Scott, hope you're ok - long time no see !

I've had a look for aftermarket pads and about the only thing i've seen so far is EBC greenstuff - yuk.

Good reason for that.... I'm now a SITCOM.... (Single Income Two Childres, Opressive Mortgage )

Looking to do something about the last bit so may get out more after that...

Scott

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Quote: posted by GVK on 15/02/2005 06:33:03

I checked Claire's front pads on Saturday and was very suprised to see pads that were at most 1/3 rd worn, naughty naughty VW main dealers.. tut tut.

If they are the original pads which I suspect they are, I can see no reason why they won't do at least another 10k.

Not to mention having to bash the wheels off as they were corroded to the hubs.....

As much as I thought..

I was shocked to hear that the pads were worn that much in 20+K miles, cause mine have only worn maybe 50% since new!

Shame on that dealer

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Then there's me who did a set of discs and pads in 13000 miles...[V] but got the discs replaced under warranty, pads were aroun ?95 +vat

Claire..Do you still have that quote from my stealer that I sent you before - the pads and discs are listed on it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I see the other side of the fence to some though, as I've worked in a franchise dealership for 15+ years.

With the extended servicing of vehicles , and without knowing the driving style of the customer, sometimes it's difficult to gauge how long pads will last.

But in this case they were *very very* wrong to say these pads were nearly worn out[:O]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts