Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
Just a quick question.. is your insurance friendly to all your mods?? as mine think im taking the wee wee after i got mine chipped.. so no more mods really untill i can get them insured.. [:(]

Sat [y]

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A friend of mine works a insurance office....not sure which but....She has advised me too not declare my mods because of the excess is so high.

My insurance company were asking £164 for putting wheels on.

even with me spending money on telling them i don't get anything back for it so....thats my best option really.

You might be in a different position as me.

·
Super Moderator
3,497 Posts
So what happens if you need to claim or someone claims off your insurance?

The insurance company inspects the car and finds it has undeclared non standard parts fitted. The result, sorry Mr Golf driver, you have breached the terms of your policy and we aint paying.

The end result is any of the following:

You have to pay for any damage to your car.
You have to pay for any damage to anybody elses car/property .
You have to pay the potentially hundreds of thousands of pounds compensation for the person injured or killed.

Sorry to sound harsh, but it aint worth it. Declare all your mods. If you cant afford the premium then don't put them on.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
A friend of mine works a insurance office....not sure which but....She has advised me too not declare my mods because of the excess is so high.
Well that was really sound advise.

Do you realise that in the event of a crash not only will they not pay out but your insurance become null-and-void? In other words you haven't got any, Which then means the police are going to want a word with you regarding driving without insurance.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
You might as well not pay any insurance as if you dont declare your mods it is VOID. Even the slightest changes like the rear badges can alter your insurance.

I reckon you should think twice, and your friend should get sacked for recommending that.

Its all ok saying "yeah im the best driver...i wont crash." but other people are unpredictable and anything can happen out there.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok everyone i know you have opinions but don't talk down to me

I am only going by what she said, if she works in insurance im sure she knows better than you or i.

I have never said i am the best driver and won't crash i know that anything can happen

Im just going by what she has said to me.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Im afraid she dosnt know better than us.

And we are hardly talking down to you, just merely offering you valuable advice which will save your future if something happens.

For instance ...If you get pulled ...."wheres your insurance cert for the mods sir..... "....."oh they are not listed, my friend said not to bother , excess will go sky high"...

Im afraid that will not get you out the cack. Car will be crushed (i think) , License Ban, Fines...amoungst other things!

Dont risk it mate, take our advice and look into it more [y]

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Tell us where you live and we can come strip the car of all its goodies then as your not that interested in protecting them with insurance

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sorry mate

i just can't pay the money knowing that i will get jack for the money i pay to the insurance for the mods. it hurts.

i will look into it a bit more tommorow

cheers mate,

·
Super Moderator
3,497 Posts
Ask her if an insurance company would pay your claim if they found undeclared modifications on your car. If she's says yes then she is either stupid or lying.

The reason you've had such a reaction here is because we would all be horrified if we were involved in a ccident with an un-insured driver because we would probably have to pay for any damage.

Secondly how would you feel if a member of your family was injured by an un-insured driver. Who would pay for the potentially massive care costs.

Thirdly reagrding your friend knowing more about the insurance industry than us. Would you get on a jet piloted by someone who works in the McDonalds at the airport?

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
pj can't you just suggest something without a sarcastic tone.

This what peed me off.

Talk without the sarcasm. I know the insurance won't pay for the damage to the mods or replace them. And i also know they will only give me a hint of the price i paid for it.

If you had an excess of £1000 and put the mods on, they charged you £600 + extra on top of the premium for them. You had an accident, you know you won't get any of that back from the insurance company, you have to pay the £1000. What is the point in spending the extra 600 on the mods being declared.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
pj can't you just suggest something without a sarcastic tone.

This is what peed me off.

Talk without the sarcasm. I know the insurance won't pay for the damage to the mods or replace them. And i also know they will only give me a hint of the price i paid for it.

If you had an excess of £1000 and put the mods on, they charged you £600 + extra on top of the premium for them. You had an accident, you know you won't get any of that back from the insurance company, you have to pay the £1000. What is the point in spending the extra 600 on the mods being declared.

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
Shit i started a big discussion here.. and yeah my insurance company knows that my car is modified as i cant risk it lol.. i always get pulled but once they've seen my insurance certificate they're like ok son on your way lol..

Sat [y]

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
i also work in insurance as a financial adviser and would not be telling a client to hide information, as its not best advice.

But just be careful as as metioned, driving with undeclared mods, a ins firm, would just say null and void and the boys in blue will be asking questions. This is correct as ive just asked my housemate a traffic cop!

·
Super Moderator
3,497 Posts
I didn't think I was being sarcastic but if you took that way, I apologise.

You seem to be focusing on what you get out of paying the extra premium but that is not the point. If you're happy to lose your money that's fine. But what I object to is the fact that your insurance will be invalid which affects potentially any other road user including me.

God forbid, suppose you and I have an accident that is deemed your fault. Who is going to pay for my car to be replaced/repaired? Not your insurance because you have breached the terms so my insurance will have to pay therefore I lose my maximum no claims bonus and pay 70% more for my insurance. All this because you wouldn't pay what you owed.

Suppose in this accident you hit a pedestrian and they lose a leg or their eyesight or something equally horrible. They will be entitled to hundreds of thousands of pounds compensation that your insurance comapny will not pay. Now suppose that that person is your sister/brother/other close relative.

If you don't care about yourself thats fine. But It's not fair to other people for you not to pay the correct premium.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I can see you point and i will be on it in the morning

as i said before i was just going on info given me by someone who knew more. I am just gutted, i had already in my head spent that money.

I will be looking into it in the morning.

cheers

·
Super Moderator
3,497 Posts
Nice one, very wise.

I was never into modding at your age but for me the killer was having to drive a MK1 1.1L Golf when all I could dream of was a 1.5 GLX that had 20bhp more but would cost double to insure.

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
Dale im in the same situation as you.. ive got so many plans for my car but its all down to insurance (only thing stopping me).. but im gonna wait an extra yr now and get a 1.8t in some disguise i.e. leon/golf etc.. and then modify that beast lol..

Sat [y]

·
Super Moderator
3,497 Posts
Dale, the other thing you could do is have a good look through the insurance section of the forum. There are loads of post about "who's the best insurer for mods" etc. If you phone around you might find a company that's cheaper with all the mods declared.

There's also a 15% discount available to forum members with Aidrian Flux. Also Neil20v (thin that's his username) works for Greenlight (who I'm with) and offers great rates with mods declared.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts