Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i have just bought a r32 steering wheel and i want to fit it and vw have quoted me 100quid and i thought that was abit expensive ,

and the tool i need i cant remeber the name

does ne1 kno the name of this tool or can advise me where to go and get this fitted

cheers

lex

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
you will need a MULTI SPLINE bit to undo the center nut on the wheel after you have removed the airbag

i have one here [Y]

you can get them from most motor factors or tool trader

Andy

sitck the 100 squid in you pocket as it is not worth paying that if you ask me

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i will give it ago

after i remove the airbag do i turn the whell back to stright so i can get the wheel on right first time?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Try good local motor factors or Toolspot.co.uk for spline bits, I bought a kit form them and it did the job perfectly, must say the service was top notch as well.

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
You need to make sure the wheel and front wheels are stright before you take the stearing wheel off.

VERY IMPORTANT!!!!!!! when you take the nut off that holds the wheel on, slidr the strering wheel towards you very slowley!!!!!!

you will se a black ring with a peg on it and you need to make sure that this does not move or you will have BIG BIG problems with the ESP as this is the stearing posision sensor

use some sape of some sort just to hold it in place and you should be fine[Y]

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[:S] its all abit scary isnt it.
i dont under stand about that bit where i can get a big big problem, i will take off the air bag tomorrow and have a look at it and if i dont trust myself i might have to get vw 2 do it for ?100 [:O]
cheers for the info mate
lex[Y]

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
all you have to do mate is make sure that nothing moves when you take the wheel off

it is not hard TRUST ME you can do it mate

i will try and find a pic of one without the wheel on for you so you can see what i am ranting on about lol

Andy

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
You need to make sure the wheel and front wheels are stright before you take the stearing wheel off.

VERY IMPORTANT!!!!!!! when you take the nut off that holds the wheel on, slidr the strering wheel towards you very slowley!!!!!!

you will se a black ring with a peg on it and you need to make sure that this does not move or you will have BIG BIG problems with the ESP as this is the stearing posision sensor

use some sape of some sort just to hold it in place and you should be fine[Y]
Would a 1.4 have ESP?

or would a 1.4 have the black ring sensor if it didnt have esp?

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
my 1.4 has esp, i think its becuase its a match and a 53reg,

i will tell you what, if i fail to do it without problems i will get to yours sometime when you are free lol and you can do it for me [;)]
cheers?
lex[Y]

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
most of thegolfs has ESP and i think some of the older ones had ASR but ESP is just a newer version

How did i go LEX??

did those pics help you??

Andy

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i got home from college and it started getting dark so i might try tomorrow night
i will keep studying those pics?
cheers dent
lex

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
you dont have to mate, i dont want to bother you by you having to take off you steering wheel,
i will try and see what you mean tomorrow night when i give it ago, i will take it slow and hope it wont go tits up
cheers andy
lex[Y]

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
get out there and do it lazy ass lol...i just been outside and fitted new sun visors at 11.15pm lol.. oh and why do you want to take a pick of your ring and send it to lex andy???? [;)]

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
get out there and do it lazy ass lol...i just been outside and fitted new sun visors at 11.15pm lol.. oh and why do you want to take a pick of your ring and send it to lex andy???? [;)]
LMFAO

and it?s a black one at that[:p]

As they sa gray "Not the mouth it came out of but the mind it went into"[:p]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts