Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
iS IT POSSIBLE TO FIT A GENUINE R32 EXHAUST TO A MK4 1.9 TDI GOLF?? i HAVE HEARD THAT THE SPARE WHEEL GETS IN THE WAY? CHEERS

·
Registered
43 Posts
No,

You can't fit an R32 on, if you did you would need to cut away a lot of the spare wheel bay...nasty job!

You can either fit a Miltek, around £400, or do what I did, fitted the original R32 bumper and fitted 2 stainless rear end pipes from halfords about 4", you can't tell the difference, and it saves you a mint!

tdirline

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah right cheers,i thought so. 400 pound...yeah ill be doing the halfords option then! How did you attach them?

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
have u got a picture aswell?? its the only downside of a r32 bumper is that u need the exhaust and if u can do it that cheap that would be great.so if u have a picture of it it would be great

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'll attach a pic later, all I did was put masking tape over the bit I was going to drill, centre popped the whole I was going to drill, as Stainless can be tricky to drill, drilled 2 holes lengthways, about 6mm, then I drilled 2 wholes on the underside of the bumper where the end pipe was going to fit (I offered it up and marked it with a marker pen first), then I fastened it to the bumber with 6mm nuts and bolts, also used small washers as spacers to make a gap between the end pipe and the bumper (gives it the hanging free of bumper look). Finally I used some stud lock on the nuts so they will never work free, and they have been on mine for around 4 months now, they look really good, total cost £30.... :)

Top tip, if you spray the inside of the end pipe black, they look as if they are used!

pic to come.....hope that helps guys!

tdirline

·
Registered
180 Posts
just my humble opinion, but fake exhausts seem to be in the world of corsa/nova boys personally, i'd prefer the blanked .:R32 bumper effect, then u wont look like you have something u dont, it would be different to the r32 bumper which is not a bad thing as they're not r32's. going down the rout of painting th inside of the exhaust black to make it look used is in fact very sad, what happens on a frosty/cold morning when only one tailpipe is smoking?

and btw the fit of the pipes doesnt look right to me they sit too high.

but its your car and if you wanna do that to it then its up to you, this was just my opinion and nobody else may share this view, sorry if i offended, just think honest thoughts on the subject help in other peoples decision making process

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
well i love the look of the r32 and i think if it can be made to look like it with spending sh!t loads on insurance i think it look good rather than paying £500 for the miltek exhasust system. i would love a r32 but obviously cant afford one and i dwant the bodykit but i will do the same for the exhust.   NICE JOB mate. looks awsome........lex

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thats not bad at all, nice one. Your all tempting me too much..... Must have R32.... but to do this, I need more money as R32 insurance is a bit large still for me :( I don't mind geting the car on finance but finance for the insurance is going too far.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Looks stupid IMO, and so does the badging. The angle of the pipes is completely wrong.

Fake exhaust pipes [:D] imagine black soot coming from under the car and nothing at all out of the pipes [:D]

·
Registered
180 Posts
Looks stupid IMO, and so does the badging. The angle of the pipes is completely wrong.

Fake exhaust pipes [:D] imagine black soot coming from under the car and nothing at all out of the pipes [:D]
lol, didnt want to be that harsh, but exactly mate, why spend lots of money making a car look like something it isnt, when it has a 1.4 engine, dont get me wrong nothing wrong with a 1.4 and for a first car better than most ppl have had i am sure, but stop at the corsa approach to modding your car. the golf scene is about being subtle, fake exhausts and now 2 fake exhausts really aint the way to go mate

·
Registered
4,528 Posts

Spot on... why spoil a good job so far for the sake of £200 which is what blueflame would cost or what it would cost to fill the bumper

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
people with 1.4's may want to keep them a long time and they arnt trying to pass it off as a r32, its just r32's are nicer and if people are driving them around for a long time they like them to look nice so why not ............i think one side of the r32 bumper looks sh!t cos it just looks unbalanced if i had the money i would make it look soo nice but theres nothing wrong with jobs like this one.. they are Fu^*!%g cheap, so what if on a cold day smoke only comes out of one pipe F*&K$ sake it looks nice, maybe some poeple have to settle with cheaper jobs aswell we are not all loaded enought to buy r32's,v6,1.8t and insure them......

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
people with 1.4's may want to keep them a long time and they arnt trying to pass it off as a r32, its just r32's are nicer and if people are driving them around for a long time they like them to look nice so why not ............i think one side of the r32 bumper looks sh!t cos it just looks unbalanced if i had the money i would make it look soo nice but theres nothing wrong with jobs like this one.. they are Fu^*!%g cheap, so what if on a cold day smoke only comes out of one pipe F*&K$ sake it looks nice, maybe some poeple have to settle with cheaper jobs aswell we are not all loaded enought to buy r32's,v6,1.8t and insure them......
Look mate he asked what people thought... he didnt state only relpy if you think it looks aggod...

as for saying were all not loaded enough to buy an r32/turbo/v6.... true but if theres enough money to fit a kit (and presumably declare to the insurance and pay the extra premium) then another £200 isnt really that much.

At the endo the day if you cant afford todo the WHOLE job properly then why do it at all.. after all if you coul only afford 3 new wheels you would wait till you had 4 not just fit 3...

Oh and the genuine VW r-line bumper has one cut out and certainly doesnt look rubbish... and swearing ist really done on this forum mate..

Posted Image

·
Registered
180 Posts
andymac, i think the penny has dropped and he realises that its not really a good idea to have 'fake' dual exhausts, and look at my posts matey i said its just my opinion, i have been modifying cars for 15 years now and it never ceases to amaze me the rubbish people put on their cars in the effort to make it better, this idea is one of them

anyway i have said it more than once now, i am not here to argue with people, its your car(s) do it if you want, it will just make the others on here look better than they already are by comparison

·
Registered
43 Posts
WOW,

Didn't think a picture of the rear of my car would evoke such critasism......[cry]

Look guys, the bottom line is I decided to put the "FAKE" rear end units on as money was pretty tight due to a house move. Yes, the real article would have been very nice, but sometimes you have to prioritise, and a new dual exit exhaust (which by the way I have not managed to find anywhere cheaper for less than £400) was not high on the list!

I take your comments with a pinch of salt, to be honest I'm going to keep them, so what if smoke only appears from only one of them, It's still packing 170+bhp and shed loads of torque, so I'm not bothered...LOL (You only get smoke when your being a jerk and breaking the speed limit!)

If there are any guys out there who are thinking of doing the mod, if you can't afford the real thing, don't listen to these so called experienced guys, you will probably only keep your modified machine for a couple of years anyway, and in the grand scheme of things, who cares if you like it![:p]

One final comment, I wanted my car to look like an R32, I love the R32, but couldn't afford one. The after market Dual exhausts I have seen also DO NOT look like the R32 Exhaust, so as long as it looks similar, which In my humble opinion it does, I'm well happy......And why would I badge it as an R32 when it isn't, so a R-Line and red TDI are what it is....[:#] Hence the RTDI Badge......

tdirline

ps Totally agree this is supposed to be a friendly site, not for CHAVS who struggle to grasp a concept of the english language!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts