Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone on the forum done this yet? If so can you tell what u think?

After some long and hard thinking, I have decided to stick with the Mkiv R32, I still love to drive it, I still think its great looking... and I cant afford the car I really want yet, so the R32 is getting some investment, first up STAGE 4 [:D]

unless someone tells me its rubbish!

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Don't bother, just stick with a remap, filler-up with the highest octane fuel you can buy and throw some octane booster in then go play. Taking the rear seats out will help greatly as well. Been there, done it, and pasted a stage 4 AmD'd R32 at Brunters with just a remap and octane booster.

Race cats do diddly for power, only slightly affecting pickup on initial acceleration, and those cams only come on tap at about 5500rpm. The limiter is at 6500.... Had the pleasure of Driving two stage 4 equiped cars and was totally unimpressed, as were the owners.

If you're going to spend money like that I'd look at forced induction.

/2p's worth.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh.... so thats no then, AMD boast an additional 20-30bhp increase between stage 2 and 4.... is that not the case? I was thinkin of a supercharger but reliability wise I'm not keen.... but what do you reckon?

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
SC's are good for a few more ponies but I keep hearing stories of belts slipping and roller coaster like power figures. Drove the Revo/VF charged R32 a few years back, it had a slipping belt and wasn't really what I'd call an 'upgrade'. I'm sure in good working order the power delivery would be good, though.

Depends how much you use the car really?

AmD boast those figures, yes. But real world driving I'd be hard pressed to believe them. As I say, for the money (or a little more) there are more tried and tested routes available.

For a taster try some octabe booster, believe me it works [Y]

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Posted Image

Millers CVL TURBO 500ml

CVL
turbo will increase the octane of commercially available pump fuel by
up to 4 RON (40 octane points) Independent tests have shown that a
combination of CVL Turbo and Shell Optimax will give a Research Octane
Number (RON) of between 101 and 102 octane.

CVL is
suited to all turbo and non-turbo engines where maximum performance is
demanded. It will appeal to track day enthusiasts, rally competitors
and other forms of competitive motoring where the additional octane is
demanded.

CVL Turbo is suitable for occasional use in
vehicles fitted with catalytic converters and is compatible with
nitrous injection systems. Use Millers Octane Plus for continuous use
in catalyst equipped vehicles.

Bottle size 500ml treats 20 litres of fuel BULK 6 PACK
Sounds like a bit of a laugh

taken from Speeding.co.uk

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok im game to try but a couple of little questions....

1) When I hear the words Millers CVL Turbo etc... I also hear of timings needed to be changed to cater for the RON change?

2) What does occasional use mean? What happens if you use too much?

3) Do you just fill your tank up at Shell and then tip the bottle in?

Cheers guys

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
CVL Turbo (adds up to 4ron) is around ?7.50 a bottle and treats
20litres of fuel so you really wouldn't want that on a daily basis. Its
very good but would really benefit from timing advance which is easily
done with a serial vagcom type cable (?25ish) and a copy of
Custom-Settings or Lemmiwinks (Free).

Its occasional use when using on a cat equipped car.

Millers Octane+ (adds 1ron) can be had from ?2.50 a bottle and treats
40litres and is fine for cat equipped car. I remember Tabs throwing 2
bottles of this in though.

In all cases, add fuel after you have tipped the bottle into the tank.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Posted Image

Millers CVL TURBO 500ml

CVL turbo will increase the octane of commercially available pump fuel by up to 4 RON (40 octane points) Independent tests have shown that a combination of CVL Turbo and Shell Optimax will give a Research Octane Number (RON) of between 101 and 102 octane.

CVL is suited to all turbo and non-turbo engines where maximum performance is demanded. It will appeal to track day enthusiasts, rally competitors and other forms of competitive motoring where the additional octane is demanded.

CVL Turbo is suitable for occasional use in vehicles fitted with catalytic converters and is compatible with nitrous injection systems. Use Millers Octane Plus for continuous use in catalyst equipped vehicles.

Bottle size 500ml treats 20 litres of fuel BULK 6 PACK
Sounds like a bit of a laugh

taken from Speeding.co.uk
can this much octain damage the cat?

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
It won't damage the cat if you use the stuff occasionally. The CVL stuff would useful for 1/4 mile runs and track days.

If you want to get max adaption try resetting your ECU, this is what I did and managed 13.9 on the quater. Of course I was running 'other' fuel on the day as well.

Gary - Didn't use two bottles, just put one bottle in half a tank [;)]

You lot just stop faffin' and get some!! [:D]

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
what the difference between the CVL turbo, and the NOS Octane booster, i read that the NOS Octane booster gives 10% more horses?

If thats true, on a 270bhp we looking at 297bhp? anyone tried it

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Wheres the best/cheapest place to get Millers octane booster and cvl turbo from?  Now I've had the car revo'd I need some octane booster as only BP Ultimate is local to me.

·
Registered
18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Stage 4 is forced induction isn't it? VF if installed properly should be good for 330bhp-350bhp, but if I was to spend this money I would go for a EIP stage 1 (assuming it produces near to what it says on the tin :))

·
Registered
18 Posts
No offence. But no matter how good the octane booster is, if he is after 330Bhp+ the only way is forced induction and no matter where you go its not going to be cheap.

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
None taken. I'm not saying octane booster will ever provide that 300+ feeling, but it will tide him over while he decides. It propelled me to a 13.9 on the 1/4 so in my book it shouldn't be sniffed at.

It may not be cheap but I certianly wouldn't pick AmD to do the work, you can have it done for less and manage to pocket some change. TTS Roadsport are selling the SKN kits, I'm pretty sure they're cheaper than AmD for the install.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ok well im listening... so a good supercharger kit should a) not cause reliability problems, and b) produce alot more power....

I am based in the north, dont mind travelling to have it done etc.... where is the best place to get it done... Tabs do you have any info on the company you mentioned?

Are AMD just expensive, or expensive and rubbish... ive never had any problems with them....?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts