Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
That blokes got some balls. 170 + on a road thats pitch black [:O]
It's partly the camera that makes it look so black (it's exposing for the lit area of the road which is comparatively bright) - the human eye is much more sensitive and would see a wider dynamic range with more ambient light detail (try taking a video from your car at night and you'll see), but agreed, still takes some balls. Probably had to do it at night to get the lowest air temperature. Wonder if he had the wind behind him?

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
So I guess the USA R32 is not limited like ours?

As the most mine would do on the autobahn was 155mph.
Its remapped.

But what a complete to$$er.

No interest in the feelings or safety of other road users - its not
even a highway for christs sake, there is oncoming traffic 12 inches to
the left and no crash barrier. You can do 170 on an Autobahn because
the surface and road layout is designed to handle it, but even there
its questionable. Your average US road certainly isnt suitable,
littered as it is with cracks, bumps and expansion joints, not to
mention deer or god help you people - both of whom can step out on the
road and you wouldn't even see it before you hit. I never felt
safe driving at anything above 80MPH out there, its just not smooth
enough.

170 is cool, but not in those conditions.

·
Registered
88 Posts
So I guess the USA R32 is not limited like ours?

As the most mine would do on the autobahn was 155mph.
Its remapped.

But what a complete to$$er.

No interest in the feelings or safety of other road users - its not even a highway for christs sake, there is oncoming traffic 12 inches to the left and no crash barrier. You can do 170 on an Autobahn because the surface and road layout is designed to handle it, but even there its questionable. Your average US road certainly isnt suitable, littered as it is with cracks, bumps and expansion joints, not to mention deer or god help you people - both of whom can step out on the road and you wouldn't even see it before you hit. I never felt safe driving at anything above 80MPH out there, its just not smooth enough.

170 is cool, but not in those conditions.
I have to agree here......this guy has nothing to be proud of! I have been a victim in the past of people like him and would not want anyone to have to go through what I did. VW groups don't need a guy like that involved!

Sorry to be so serious but it is a completely insane thing to do on a single carriageway road with other traffic coming the other way! At that speed all it would take is the slightest undulation to cause an accident. The dynamics of the car are TOTALLY different at that speed.

Save that kind of thing for the Nordshliefe or Watkins Glen seeing as he's in the States.

Rant over.

grievsey

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mikedav - "No interest in the feelings or safety of other road users" -
other road users should worry about themselves as this guy is taking
care of business. Then there will be nought to worry about (Speed,
Distance, Time and all that)

This geezers got rocks instead of balls!!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Mikedav - "No interest in the feelings or safety of other road users" - other road users should worry about themselves as this guy is taking care of business. Then there will be nought to worry about (Speed, Distance, Time and all that)

This geezers got rocks instead of balls!!
i'm sorry, but i have feelings on either side of the fence here. i've respect for the guy getting to those speeds but also appreciate mikedav's views that it was done extremely dangerously.

however, your comment is complete tripe imo.

"other road users should take care of themselves"? have you ever seen a car doing 170mph? can you imagine what it would be like to have a car go that fast past you when you see it approach?

you have to no clue mate.

"this guy is taking care of business" ha, yeah maybe he is and is an excellent driver. doesn't stop someone or something moving onto his side of the road does it?

think before typing.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Typical Yank

no care in the world for anyone else near him

maybe if it was on a motorway at night with very few if any other cars but thats insane

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Don't see the problem here, that copper doing 159mph got away with it [:D][:D]

Ok ok, yes I agree with Mikedav and Blue, if you want to do this sort of thing, do it on a track. In the dark on a single carriageway with deer around is just completely stupid if you ask me.

·
Registered
8 Posts

Blue V5 -
You have got some fair comments. If someone stepped out in the road then he/she will be dead - true

Cars are made for speed and what did not happen, did not happen. There
are too many people saying 'What if?' well there is no what if, the guy
achieved 170 and that is that.

I am just wondering most people on this forum, re-map this and re-map
that, for what? Speed. This person has done what many people wish they
could do.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Big difference here though. Most of us will speed, no doubt about it, but not generally over 100mph. Also, most on here take their cars to track days, rolling roads etc to do those kind of speeds. Theres a trip soon to the neurenberg (spelling!!) which allows this kind of thing. We don't generally go out at night on an A road and do 170mph!! Not even 110mph!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts