Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some reasons no front fog lights are fitted to the R
Sad
. And worse is that the rear fog only comes on with normal driving lights. But xenons creates a lot of reflections in fog and has no penetration at all. And switching off the xenons mean switching off the rear fog too. Clever
Tongue Tied
???!!!

I am prepared to fit aftermarket ones but would need to get round the electrics of the light switch so that the fog lights front and back can be sitched on individually. Can anyone offer help here?

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
On the switch side, just buy a GTI or other MK5 switch that has two stops instead of one. That'll sort that [:)]

No idea how it'd wire up tho... Not your biggest electrician here [;)]

C

·
Registered
22 Posts
When I was buying mine I was told it was due to lack of space with V6 and need for extra cooling through the lower grill- as a chunk of the cooling area would be lost if plugged with foglight fitments. Personally my xenons have been fine in the fog. Foglights are soooo last year.[;)]

·
Registered
89 Posts
When I was buying mine I was told it was due to lack of space with V6 and need for extra cooling through the lower grill- as a chunk of the cooling area would be lost if plugged with foglight fitments. Personally my xenons have been fine in the fog. Foglights are soooo last year.[;)]
Got to disagree there I'm afraid...I specced optional fogs on my car. No I'm not one of those prats who drives round with them on all the time, but I don't think most cars look "right" without them personally.

·
Registered
471 Posts
For what it's worth, I fine my xenons to be find in the fog. Still turn my foglights on, but they have a negligable effect.

The R32 can't have fogs because of all the fancy intermagicalcoolerapparatchiks needed for the V6 and the DSG (even if your car is not a DSG car). Fogs would get in the way.

(Edited 'cos I can't spell)

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Seriously speaking, how many days a year do we get in the UK when u ACTUALLY need fog lights??

In 3.5 years of having my mk4 R32, I've only ever needed front fogs twice! Xenons are useless in deep Fog, but even then the fog was so deep, that even fog lights would have been totally useless

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
imho i dont think fogs make a big difference in what you can see.. so i normally put on the full beams (as i aint got no fogs [:$]) lol

Sat [y]

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Sat mate... If it's proper fog, it'll just go from grey to whtie and not improve visibility at all mate (albeit it you might become SLIGHTLY more visible lol [;)])

As to Jason, mien probably get used 8-10 times a year... If it's PROPER pishing it down mine go on - not to see, but to be seen (normlaly on the motorway)

C

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
If it's PROPER pishing it down mine go on - not to see, but to be seen (normlaly on the motorway)
Dont know about anyone else but I find that really irritating...
Yep. the light just bounces off the rain that splashes off the road (and spray).

Just makes things even more stressful really

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
seems nobody else is finding the lack of front fog lights a problem. may be i'll have to get use to it. just that majority of new cars has them built in. why not the R? the side slats has a solid back which mean they don't contribute towards circulation, and there's room enough to have fogs designed in in the first place. o well........... 

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
If it's PROPER pishing it down mine go on - not to see, but to be seen (normlaly on the motorway)
They have no real practical use whatsoever other than to be seen, perhaps, by other road users. They do not make progress in real fog any easier or quicker and, anyway we don't seem to have the fogs that were prevalent in the fifties and sixties when one literally couldn't see your hand in front of your face - they're another expensive, unecessary gimmick in my opinion, for what's it's worth.

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Perhaps its do with extra heat generated by high voltage fog lights
Nope, its f'ing cost cutting on VW's behalf.

U only need to look at TT 3.2's or anything Audi to see you can have fogs and this engine. VW always cost cutting in every dept

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
imho i dont think fogs make a big difference in what you can see.. so i normally put on the full beams (as i aint got no fogs [:$]) lol

Sat [y]
Full beams are the worst thing you can do in fog, makes it a hell of a lot worse!!

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
They have no real practical use whatsoever other than to be seen, perhaps, by other road users.
Bingo, thank you Marvin...

When the weather's losuy and grim as hell, additional scope for people to spot you more easily... Moving lights are the easiest thing to spot. Grey and black cars on gloomy days especially approaching dusk are the hardest thing to spot without spending too much time contrating on what's around you instead of what you're doing!!!!

For anyone that now thinks I drive around with them whenever there's a few spots of rain... Don't be such a fool [:p]

C [:)]

·
Registered
360 Posts
Moving lights are what you have your headlights for, or are you talking about rear foglights, in which case all a car behind might see is a large red "halo" around your lights, which makes brakelights practically impossible to see.

And as for Marvins comments regarding foglights been no use, maybe he should try driving over the north-york-moors every morning in winter.. Im not saying they make the fog go away, but they do show up the edges of the road much better. Although to be honest I do find that full beam and setting the headlamp levellers to almost the lowest setting is also good.

Foglights - for use in fog... surprising really!

Chris

·
Registered
22 Posts
My 3.2TT had integrated foglights( in the headlight unit) on the original Golf/TT floorplan. The new TT has bigger floorplan and different engine and layout, so not sure you can compare.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts