Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

Quick shifters

Mk4 Golf 
Tags
mk4 golf
2K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  shane 
#1 ·
What is avaliable for 1.8t i have seen the B&M ones but they seem to be a lot of money for what they are. What do you have/recommend?

#11 ·
not necessarily........its all relative.....if you want "ultra" short shifting, spend loads and get the diesel geek one........if you want a "sportier" feel....get the TT one.....i went for TT

and my stock one looked more like a golf club......
Good for you EE, But have you tried the Dieselgeek ultra to be able to compare?

Surely they both have a "sportier" nature, i'd like to know the difference between the two, But as someone has already pointed out ... you get what you pay for.

#14 ·
EIP tuning offer a competition series 40% reduction in both throw and side to side shifting.
Quoted by Dieselgeek:

" The Ultra Shifter gives an approximate 30% reduction in throws for both
directions. Don?t be mislead by other manufacturer?s claims of offering
more reduction. This is the maximum reduction the shift cables will
allow before they get overextended."

#15 ·
EIP tuning offer a
competition series up-to 40% reduction in both throw and side to side
shifting.
Quoted by Dieselgeek:

" The Ultra Shifter gives an approximate 30% reduction in throws for both
directions. Don?t be mislead by other manufacturer?s claims of offering
more reduction. This is the maximum reduction the shift cables will
allow before they get overextended."
I see what youre saying there fella but ive come to the assumption that
Dieselgeek may well have simply added that disclaimer to their site in
order that they dont have to spend more $ on R&D on yet another
shifter kit to compete with the EIP item.

There are many reviews on VWVortex and EIP actually have a video on their website showing the reduction.

I am by no means EIP Tuning bias however i feel that if they offer a product with upto 40% reduction then it 'may' be true ;p

#18 ·
Drowning in replies as usual [:(]

I have done a search for these things which didnt return a single other post there mentioned in.

I have searched on other forums, no joy.

I have googled it, no joy.

Can someone tell me what a TT short shifter is, will it fit my car, how do I find out what type I need/have, anything really?

Cheers

#19 ·
The TT has a slightly shorter throw than a Golf, but the mechanicals are the same, so you can simply replace your (6 speed) Golf one with one from a TT. The difference in the throw is not that great though.

You can buy a Neuspeed short shifter from www.awesome-gti.co.uk for about ?150 or you can get a fully adjustable one from www.ecstuning.com in the US, whose UK distributors are www.jbrperformance.co.uk (you'll sometimes see their ads on the top of the forum).

I currently run a Neuspeed short shifter on my R32 but will shortly be changing it for the fully adjustable (weight and throw) ECS Tuning one. Based on the build quality of their Stage 5 Porsche Cayenne Turbo front disk conversion and Stage 1 rear, I am happy to spend the money to have an adjustable gear shift for daily driving compared to track days. Oh, and when my wife uses the car as well...[;)]

#20 ·
huh?

i was just saying the difference.............

and that IS the difference, one is "ultra" short shirt, one is just "sportier"
I've tried both - had the TT shifter in my old gti and now have the
diesel geek one in my current gti. The TT one is ok, it tightens up the
shift but some gear changes were still pretty long - I ended up cutting
down my gear lever shaft after fitting the TT shifter in the old gti.
But with the diesel geek one there was no need for that - much tighter
and much shorter gear changes - well worth the extra!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.