Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning on changing the oil in my car today.
What do I need, and is there much involved.
Obviously I need oil, can you buy this in halfords? Or is it specific VW stuff.
What else should I change whilst I'm changing the oil?

Am I right in thinking its just a case of taking out the sump plug, letting it drain out, plug on and fill back up with oil?

Thanks

·
Livin' by the sword
5,180 Posts
You need an oil filter. You need a tool to remove the oil filter cap. You need the correct oil (been discussed many times before, look here. You'll need a tray to drain the oil into or a Pela vacuum pump to suck it out the dipstick hole). You'll need some paper towelling to wipe your hands, some vinyl gloves if you manicure your nails, some good hand cleaner. You'll need a set of ramps to get underneath or a jack and axle stands.

Run the engine til warm and then stop it (very important before you drop the oil...) . Let it cool a little and settle back into the sump, then either undo sump plug and let it drain or apply your Pela and let it suck away. Crack the top off the oil filter housing and lift out the old filter. Best have a small ice cream tub or suchlike to catch the dribbles in. Clean out the filter housing a bit, refit a new filter with the o rings correctly on (make sure you put the filter in right way up etc.) and pop the top back on. When all the oil has drained or sucked out, replace the sump plug and do not overtighten. Then refill with the correct oil (been discussed many times etc. ) but don't overfill it. Start with 3 1/2 ltrs and then top up slowly as required. Start the engine and run for a few seconds, then switch off and leave to settle. Check oil level and top up again as required.

When filling with oil, take a quick look underneath to make sure your new oil isn't polluting the driveway.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts